*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1282677-Summertime
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · LGBTQ+ · #1282677
Edge City Greasers #4 (on Homosexuality)
Summertime
By: T.W. Scarlette


1

An old lime green Chevy conversion van with pink curtains and zebra striped seat covers pulled up the drive into the Gated Soho.  The driver, Zeus, looked out the window at the old dingy Victorian style houses, graffiti and the spray painted cars of the lower Soho.  On the radio Bruce Springsteen sung “Blinded by the Light” and Zeus tapped the steering wheel with his thumb to the beat as the song played.

"Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin' kinda older, I tripped the merry-go-round
With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing, the calliope crashed to the ground
Some all-hot half-shot was headin' for the hot spot, snappin' his fingers, clappin' his hands
And some fleshpot mascot was tied into a lover's knot with a whatnot in her hand
And now young Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand
And some bloodshot forget-me-not whispers, "Daddy's within earshot, save the buckshot, turn up the band"

And she was blinded by the light
Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
She got down but she never got tight, but she'll make it alright"


As the van stopped at a red light, a group of kids in black and brown leather leered at him from across the street and as Zeus opened his window to hear what they said the hot July night air wafted in to the van as one of the boys spoke up.
         “New here, pretty boy?” A kid with long black hair, blue eyes and matching leather asked walking over to the van.
         “Yeah, I was looking for a place to park for the night,” Zeus replied running his fingers through his dark hair causing it to fall over his face and rest at his cheekbones.
         The boy outside smirked and waved for his friends to come over, “Well, I believe you’re in the right place. I’m Roslyn,” he said offering his hand. “’N’ these losers are the Wharfies. We got a haunt down by the East River.”
            Zeus took the handshake and said, “Jus’ call me Zeus.”
            “Zeus, is it?” Roslyn asked leaning against the van with his arm in the window and looking him up and down.  Zeus gave him a nervous smile and ran his fingers through his hair again. 
            “Whose your friend, Roslyn?” a new voice called from across the street.
Roslyn rolled his eyes then looked over at the new arrival standing on the corner, he wore his reddish brown hair long and brown leather jacket, a grey beater, and scuffed blue jeans.
              “What’s it to ya, Dixxon?”
         The new boy smiled and walked over to the driver’s side of the van, “Hot van, kid,” he said offering his hand to Zeus, “name’s Lemon Dixxon.”
         “Zeus,” he answered looking from Lemon to Roslyn.   
Lemon began laughing when his nervous look fell upon him, “’S’alright kid, ease up. We’re all friends here,” Lemon said casting a side look at Roslyn then turning back to Zeus he said, “Why don’t you park in my drive and we’ll give you the grand tour?”
              Zeus nodded nervously and Lemon pointed to the house on the corner. “Be right back,” he said pulling off.
            Lemon waited for the van to drive up aways before turning to Roslyn, “What exactly are you all doin’ up here?”
            “Doin’ business with Charlie,” Roslyn answered shoving his hands in his pockets. “Kid’s comin’ back,” he said nodding toward Zeus. “Hey there, pretty boy, you ready?”
              Zeus wore a burgundy Dr. Pepper t-shirt over a pink long sleeved shirt, black cargo pants and a lime green knit cap. “Yeah,” he said, “Where do you guys go for a good time?”
              “That depends on what you mean,” Lemon said walking over to him and leading him down the street, “the West Wharf has most of the parties round here. If you want drugs, well you just gotta say what kind. And girls are another story but me ‘n’ Roslyn can hook you up with two outta three.”
            “I should be able to get the other one by my self,” Zeus said smirking.
            “Not dressed like that, you won’t,” Roslyn said swiping his hat.
          “Hey give that back,” Zeus shouted grabbing at the hat and Roslyn playfully kept it out of his reach.
          “Did you hear him, Roslyn?” Lemon said taking a few steps toward him. “Give it up,” he said putting out his hand.
            Roslyn glared at Lemon for a few seconds the handed the hat back to Zeus and took off with his friends down a side street.
            “Thought we’d never be rid of them,” Lemon said putting his long reddish brown hair behind his ears and pulling it back. “You can dress how the hell you want, but you better get a leather jacket,” he said slapping him on the back. 
            “Right,” Zeus muttered putting his hat back on.
            “Let’s stop by Charlie’s ‘n’ see what they were doin’ up here,” Lemon said pulling Zeus down a side street to a light blue pick up. “This is my ride,” he said opening the door and hot-wiring the engine. Zeus climbed up and Lemon floored the gas in the climb up the hill. They drove in silence until Lemon took an acute angle turn down a street and stopped in someone’s front yard.
            “Jesus Christ how’d you ever get a license?” Zeus said opening his door and jumping down.
            “I don’t have one. This is Edge City, man,” was Lemon’s answer as he walked over to the front door and knocked.  Zeus followed but hung back and stayed in the yard. 
            Several minutes later the door was answered by a girl of about fifteen, with long blonde hair pulled up in a messy knot and bright green eyes. “Lemon, who’s your friend?”
            “Zeus,” he said thumbing over his shoulder, “Dan,” he said nodding toward the girl. “Where are your brothers?”
            “Down at the South End. Charlie didn’t say much more than that,” Dan said looking at Zeus.
            “Shit, is your Gran home?” Lemon asked leaning against the door jam.
            “I ain’t gonna say ‘til someone tells me what’s going on,” Dan said glaring at him and crossing her arms.
            “I would but ever since Olivier. . .” Lemon’s voice dropped off and Dan looked away. “Can he stay here?”
            “Yeah sure, you be careful,” she said kissing him on the cheek and hugging him.
            “Alright, see you in a bit,” Lemon said turning around quickly and walking back to his truck.
            Zeus smiled and stepped up onto the porch as Lemon revved the engine and pulled off. “Hi, the name’s Zeus,” he said for lack of anything better to say.
          “Come on in, I’m Dan as Lemon said,” she said opening the door and gesturing for him to come inside.  Zeus nodded and walked through the door.
          The living room was decorated with an old greyish couch bearing the remnants of a floral pattern, several chairs, and an old beat up coffee table.  The air conditioning was on and Zeus felt amazingly better once the door was closed. 
        “So have a seat, make yourself at home,” Dan said walking into the kitchen, “Can I get you anything to drink?”
        “Coke’s fine thanks,” Zeus called taking off his hat and sitting on the couch.
Dan came back into the living room with a six-pack of Coca cola and a bag of pretzels. “S’ not much for dinner but Charlie does the cooking, so it’s all we got,” she said offering him some pretzels.
        “Thanks,” he said grabbing a handful, “anything is better than cigarettes and coffee.”
          “You wanna smoke?” Dan said reaching into her pocket and pulling out a package of Camel’s and lighting herself one. “It’s cool, my Gran’s away for the week.” 
          “Thanks,” he said taking a cigarette and lighting it from Dan’s.
“Well,” Dan said exhaling, “Lemon’s decided to take you under his wing, eh?”
          “I suppose so, I only jus’ got here. I met some Wharfies and Lemon only a few hours ago,” Zeus said hitting his smoke.
          “Roslyn, right?” Dan asked putting her legs up on the couch. Zeus nodded, and she said, “Yeah he was here for a while before.”
          “Ah,” Zeus said crushing out his smoke and putting the butt in his ear, “can you give me directions back to Lemon’s house?”
          Dan laughed and said, “you think you can jus’ get back in your van and leave?”
        “I don’t want to leave, I just want to go down town for a few hours,” Zeus said getting up and walking to the door, “It’s Friday night.”
          “You don’t want to be going down town on a Friday night, you want to go to one of the wharf parties,” Dan said taking one last drag on her cigarette and standing as well.
          “I’m not a party kind of person, I’m more interested in the lonely people,” Zeus said crossing his arms over his chest.
            “You a call boy or something?” Dan asked looking him up and down. “If you are I’d guess you ain’t cheap.”
        “That depends,” he gave her a mischievous look,  “what do you want me to do?” Zeus said sauntering around her. 
            Dan thought for a moment then said, “Kiss me.”
              Zeus sauntered towards her, pinned her against the wall and forcefully kissed her then said, “That was worth at least ten.”
         “I was gonna say that jus’ paid for the coke and pretzels. You still owe for the smoke,” Dan said smiling.
         “Do I now?” Zeus said putting his hands on his hips.
         “Yes you do,” Dan said walking towards him. He met her in an embrace and kissed her again, this time rolling her jacket down and slipping his hands under her t-shirt. Then he slide his hands down to her waist and broke away.
         “I think we’re even now,” Zeus said running his fingers through his hair. “Now will you give me directions to Lemon’s?” 
         “For a price,” Dan said picking up the extra car keys from the table.
         Zeus rolled his eyes and said, “Look it’s getting late, and I really do prefer men. Jus’ please give me a lift to Lemon Dixxon’s, alright?”
         Dan glared at him, her left hand in her jacket pocket then said, “Fine, lets go,” and walked outside and into the garage then she unlocked an old green Volts Wagon and said, “Hop in.”
         Zeus got in and they drove in silence to Lemon’s house. Dan parked in the front lawn and unlocked the doors, “See ya later,” she said then she paused and called,  “oh and a bit of advice, avoid South End if you want to live.” Then she drove forward and backed up quickly to close the door and sped off down the street.
         “At last,” he muttered to himself as he unlocked the van’s sliding door and climbed inside.  He took off his shirts and pulled a black beater over his head, changed his cargo jeans for a pair of low ridding tight blue jeans and put his green knit cap back on.  Then he climbed over the seat and started the ignition and backed out of the driveway and sped down the hill into the fishing district. Zeus wove his way through the wharfs and housing streets into the Shore district of down town Edge city. Several bars operated in these few blocks as well as many nightclubs and coffee houses. Zeus pulled into a side alley next to a place called The Green Iguana Café.
         He put his van into park and walked out on to the main road. Zeus leaned against a telephone pole and watched the passers by for a few minutes.  He sauntered and strutted up and down the block several times before a familiar voice called out to him.
         “Zeus?” Roslyn said emerging from a back alley, he stopped a few feet from Zeus and took a long toke from a small cigarette, and offered it to Zeus, “Wanna hit?”
         “I could ask you the same question,” Zeus said taking the joint and pulling a long draw. “Well,” he said exhaling, “I’ll do ya for a hundred.”
         Roslyn gave Zeus a searching look then pulled him aside down the alley where Zeus had parked and whispered, “What, you need money or somethin’?”
         “I always need money, but for now I’d rather earn that money,” Zeus said running his fingers down Roslyn’s chest and hooking his thumb through his belt loop, “Are you taking my offer?”
         Roslyn looked away for a long moment, then into his eyes and asked, “You clean?”
         “Tested every month in a free clinic and HIV on a six month basis,” Zeus said smiling and nudging Roslyn with his knee, “Not a germ nor virus on me.”
         Roslyn looked down and licked his lips then said, “Alright, but you can’t let this get out, got it?”
         “Alright,” Zeus said pushing him against the alley wall and kissing him forcefully, “Jus’ warming up,” he whispered breaking away and leading the way to the van. As he fumbled for the key Dan came to mind. Zeus opened the sliding door and Roslyn entered. Zeus closed the door behind them and turned on some lamps covered in purple scarves. 
         “Come join me,” Zeus said lounging on a pile of pillows on an old mattress. Roslyn sat down and Zeus kissed him again remembering the kiss he had shared with Dan. Then rolling his leather jacket off his shoulders he blew into his ear. Zeus took off his own shirt and teased Roslyn’s t-shirt over his head, whispering, “Voulez-vous toucher,” and placing his hands on his waist and butt.  He kissed Roslyn again and began unbuckling his belt and unbuttoning his pants, the picture in his mind of Dan. 
            Roslyn pulled away and whispered, “No, don’t,” and sat up, he reached for his leather jacket and Zeus put his hand over his.
        “First time?” Zeus asked.
Roslyn just nodded and swung his legs around to the edge to the mattress.
          “You’re going to get your money’s worth,” he whispered beckoning him back. He kissed him again and rubbed his thigh along Roslyn’s leg. Then Zeus unbuttoned his own jeans, slowly rolled them off his butt and legs and placed Roslyn’s hands on his hips.
          “When you’re just going any road will get you there,” Zeus whispered as he undid Roslyn’s jeans again.

2
       
Zeus pulled on his jeans as Roslyn handed him a wad of money and slipped out into the night. He threw his hat back on and slunk out into the evening. 
         Zeus sauntered back to his familiar telephone pole and leaned against the cold metal.  He was distracted and let several would be participants walk by. His mind kept going back to the kiss he and Dan had shared.  Dan, he thought, I wonder if that’s short for Danielle.
         Zeus checked his watch, an old pocket watch on a chain; it was three o’clock in the morning.  The streets were almost empty except for a few women and girls that shared his profession.
         He sighed and watched the Green Iguana Café close then he headed back to his van. Zeus slid into the driver’s side and started the engine. 
         Before he knew it he was parked in Dan’s driveway and heading for the front door. Zeus took a deep breath and knocked.
         Several tense minutes later the door opened and a tall boy with long brown hair, green eyes and a disgruntled look on his face said, “Who the hell are you ‘n’ what do you want?”
         “Is Dan home?” Zeus asked, smiling shyly.
         “She better be or I’ll kick ‘er ass,” the boy said more to himself than to Zeus, “Come in,” he said stepping aside, “The name’s Marley by the by.”
         “Zeus,” he said stepping over the threshold and into the living room.
         Marley turned his back on him and shouted, “Dan you got company!” then he turned back to Zeus and said, “she’ll be down. Have a sit,” he gestured to the couch then disappeared into the kitchen. “We got Mac’n’cheese, pizza an’ beer. What’s your fancy?” Marley called making a racket.
         “Mac’n’cheese is fine,” Zeus said sitting down.
         “Right,” Marley said returning with two bowls of shell macaroni and cheese and a six-pack of beer. He shoved a bowl and a spoon at Zeus, then popped the top on two beers and handed Zeus one.
              “Thanks,” Zeus said scarfing the cold pasta down quickly.
Marley sat down and asked, “So why are you here again?”
            “I’ve got to talk to Dan,” Zeus said taking a swig of beer.
            “Okay, I might be her brother but I’m not that protective,” Marley said looking at him beseechingly, “Don’t break her heart,” he threatened and continued to eat his pasta.
            The stairs creaked as Dan walked down into the living room. She wore an old white t-shirt, grey sweatpants and slippers. Her eyes lit up when she saw Zeus on the couch with her brother.  Upon seeing her, Zeus jumped up and ran towards her.
            “Dan, we’ve got to talk,” he said taking her arm.
Dan took a step back and gave him a strange look before saying, “Give us a minute Marley.”
              Marley looked up from his food and said, “I was just going back upstairs, I left Adam alone and he ain’t feeling well, so . . .” he stood, grabbed the six-pack and headed for the stairs. Dan watched him go then sat down on the couch with Zeus.
            “What’s wrong, Zeus?” she asked looking concerned.
            “First thing, my name's Nicholas not Zeus,” he said holding her hand.
            Dan looked at him for a few seconds then said, “Alright, I can deal with nicknames.”
          “Secondly I’ve been a prostitute for four years and no one I’ve ever,” he paused then said, “no one I’ve ever met has had this kind of effect on me.”
          Dan narrowed her eyes then asked, “Zeus, err Nicholas, what do you mean?”
        “I can’t stop thinking about you!” Nicholas said kissing her gently.
        Dan put her hand on his chest and said, “Whoa, I was only flirting earlier today. Honestly it meant nothing,” she said moving towards the edge of the couch.
          “Please Dan, hear me out,” Nicholas begged putting his hand on her knee.
        Dan shook off his hand and gave him a penetrating look, then said, “Look, I didn’t mean to come on to you, I hardly even know you.”
        Nicholas looked crest fallen, then said, “No, I should be sorry. I’m a complete stranger; you have a right to feel uncomfortable. I should go,” he said standing.
      “No, Lemon dropped you off here, and he’s gonna want you here when he comes back so you can bunk on the couch,” she said going to the closet and tossing a blanket and a pillow at him. “See you in the morning,” Dan said walking up the steps, then turning around she said, “you’ll have ta wash your own dishes and take turns cooking, by the by,” then she disappeared up the steps.  Nicholas curled up on the couch and was asleep in a few moments.
         He slept peacefully for a while until the front window was thrown open and a tall boy with short cropped brown hair perched on the top of the couch.  He extended his high-topped foot and nudged Nicholas’ shoulder.
          “Kid, wake up, kid,” he said and jumped on to the floor in front of the couch so his companion could follow suit.  Nicholas woke slowly for the comfort of the blanket and soft couch was a rare experience for him.  He opened his eyes to two faces, one with greasy black hair and one with cropped brown hair.
            “Kid, is Charlie home?” the greasy haired boy asked him. 
            “Look I dunno, but, ah, Marley and Dan are up stairs,” Nicholas said rolling over on his side to face the two strangers. 
            They turned to each other and the shorthaired kid said, “James, go see if he’s in his room.” The dark haired kid nodded and walked over to the stairs and disappeared up stairs. When his companion was gone the short haired kid turned back to Nicholas, “The name’s Travis, kid,” he gave him a searching look and asked, “what brings you to Charlie’s couch?”
            Nicholas sat up and wrapped himself in the blanket before he answered, “It’s a long story, trust me.” 
            Travis looked at his wrist and then his gaze fell back on Nicholas and said, “Until Charlie shows his head all I got is time and since you’re bunkin’ in a friend o’ mines house, spill.”
          “Call me Zeus first off, second I’m not from around here, I was born up in Montreal.” Travis smiled and sat down next to him. “My father died when I was young and my mother remarried when I was ten.  My stepfather is a vile man, he beats my mother and when that wasn’t satisfying enough he took his anger out on the dog or on me or my older brother.”
          As Nicholas spoke Travis became more and more interested in the unfolding events.  Nicholas himself was also benefiting from speaking about such a hushed over subject. 
          “When I was fifteen I finally had had enough of his shit and I left.  But not before he left his mark on me.  As I was packing my things he was drinking, of course, and I made my escape too obvious.  He hauled off and threw his beer bottle at me. It struck my shoulder and broke cutting me and slashing alcohol into the wound. It burned like hell for a while then I was so angry my pain dissipated.  I threw my duffel into my van and drove like hell for a day and a half.
      “I drove until I was weak with hunger and blood loss and found myself somewhere in the United States.  I didn’t have enough money or sense to check into a hospital so I threw on a fresh shirt and went into a drug store and bought some fishing line and a needle, along with a bottle of ammonia. 
        “When I got back into the van I rinsed my shoulder with the ammonia, that burned like a mother, and dabbed it with a balled up t-shirt.  Then I pulled a bucket out of the back of my van and unscrewed the valve on some one’s garden hose to fill it. I carried that damn bucket back to the alley I parked in and soaked my shoulder in the cold water to flush the glass pieces out and stitched the skin back together.
      “A week or so later the skin healed back together and I snipped out the line and put a bandage of another t-shirt on it.  I had to beg in the streets for a while to keep eating but I made it.” Nicholas looked at his listener and sighed. 
        Travis smiled and said, “I’m still listening, please continue.”
        “Alright but it isn’t pretty from here on.”
          “Life stories ain’t pretty, I’ll have to tell you mine if you want a mess, but I won’t judge.”
        “When begging became to humbling I tried prostitution.  At the time I was confused, I did men and women all the while having no great attraction to either.  Well, my train of self-destruction ran me back out on the road, I had wandered from different truck stops to highway towns for about three years.  I couldn’t go back to Canada because my mother had the police looking for me so I continued to wonder around the northern United States, I remember one summer I went as far south as Pittsburgh and camped out at the Point for a week,” He laughed and Travis laughed with him at the fondness of memories only understood by those experiencing the event first hand. 
        “At about that time I received a letter from my elder brother, Ron.  He said he had moved out of my stepfather’s house and that our mother had given up and left him.  I don’t know what became of her but my brother bought a flat in Toronto then he moved to Montreal.  In his letter he invited me to come live with him and his partner, Luke.  So that’s when I started to make my way back up north and ended up passing through here,” Nicholas finished pulling his legs to his chest and wrapping the blanket more tightly around him. 
          “This town ain’t jus’ somewhere you can pass through, it’s got a history and people tend to stick around.  You see, everyone here has a reason and most people don’t like that reason to be exploited,” Travis explained pulling a cigarette from his pocket and lighting it with a match.  Nicholas gave him a curious look as the smoke wafted around the room.
            James and Charlie appeared on the steps and Travis stood and handed Nicholas his cigarette. “See ya ‘round kid.  Feel free to call on me anytime and I'll tell you my story.  My house is the one with all the shit and trash in the front yard or a red pick up truck,” he shrugged and said, “Hell call on any of the Wharf parties and you’ll find me.” He winked and walked over to Charlie and James.  Nicholas watched them leave and lay back down to try and salvage what was left of the night.   

Lemon didn’t show up that night or the next day or even for a few weeks.   
Upon the return of their grandmother Nicholas was forced to sleep in his van in the driveway.  In Lemon’s absence Dan and Nicholas became friends.  The trials and adventures of their friendship led them to a night spent out in Nicholas’ van and into the world of a couple.  Dan was uneasy with the idea at first considering the loss of Olivier but time heals all wounds and moving on was the next step in mourning.   

3

The porch light burned a yellow island into the night as Nicholas escorted Dan home after an evening at Eighth Avenue Theatre. He stopped outside the light’s gaze and pulled Dan into a hug and kissed her. Dan returned his kiss with as much enthusiasm then whispered, “Come on, lets not go home yet,” taking his hand and leading him up the street.
          They stopped in a side street half way up the Soho hill and exchanged kisses and explorative touches.  Dan broke away from Nicholas’ advances, as someone stood silhouetted in the alley’s entrance. 
          “We’re not alone,” she whispered.   
         “Shit,” Nicholas muttered.
         “Shut up!” Dan scolded, drawing her switchblade, “Are you armed?”
         “Uh,” Nicholas said fumbling in his pockets, “yes, Marley gave me a knife a few weeks ago,” he said drawing the blade.
         “Okay, do you know how to use that?” Dan asked her eyes on his knife as he fumbled to unsheathe the blade. 
         Something moved in the shadows behind him and distracted Dan from his fumbling.  Another silhouette materialized from the mass of shadows wreathed in blue smoke.  A smell similar to cinnamon and rosemary rose around them.
         “Well, well, what have we here?” a raspy yet familiar voice called from behind the mask of smoke.  “A Soho out with her call boy?”
         Nicholas tensed and started forward but Dan put her hand on his shoulder. “No,” she answered crossly, “you’ve no right to be here, Wharfie.”
         “I see you recognise me, eh? Or maybe you only knew my brothers?” Kurzaq said coolly stepping into the streetlights. “After all you had a hand in their lives.”
         “What are you talking about?” Dan asked with a guarded tone and moving her hand so her blade was visible.
         “Dan, how did you forget your first love already?” the reply came from the person in the alley’s entrance. 
         Dan spun around to face the other man and growled, “Roslyn, what do you mean?”  When Nicholas heard Roslyn speak he slowly turned to face him.
         “Why, my brother Olivier, had you forgotten him?” Roslyn said ignoring Nicholas.
         Dan lowered her voice and said huskily, “Of course I haven’t forgotten him.”
         “Well seeing you tonight one would never know,” Roslyn retorted walking towards them and stopping a little more than an arms length away.
         “You’re drunk,” Dan spat glaring at him, “go home.”
         Roslyn ignored her and turned to Nicholas, “How much is she paying you?”
         Nicholas glared at him before saying, “I’ve moved on.”
         “Well, I haven’t,” Roslyn said taking a step forward, “kiss me.”
         “You know, I never worked for a pimp before and I don’t think I like it now,” Nicholas said pushing Roslyn away.
         “Whore!” Roslyn spat pushing Nicholas back with twice as much force.
         Nicholas balled his hand around his knife hilt and punched Roslyn square in the jaw. The blow left a deep red blotch and broke the skin on Roslyn’s face.  Roslyn’s blood on his fist seemed to give Nicholas a strange satisfaction and he struck him again.
         When the shock of the blow wore off Roslyn shouted profanity and spat at Nicholas. Then he returned his aggression by kicking Nicholas in the shins. Nicholas cried out and fell onto the cold pavement.
         “Stop!” Dan cried, “Please stop! Don’t!” she shouted and rushed forward as Roslyn proceeded to kick Nicholas in the kidneys and back.
         Kurzaq continued to smoke in the background as Roslyn beat Nicholas to a pulp. Dan struck Roslyn until she was badly bloodied because every time she struck home he returned her blows with twice as much force and strength.
         Only when Nicholas passed out did Roslyn stop beating him. Then Kurzaq spoke from the darkness, “Roslyn, lets go,” he said melting into the darkness. Roslyn turned to look at them, laying on the bloody pavement and left as well, only far less graceful than his brother.
              Dan pulled Nicholas away from the worst of the blood and began to whisper softly to him until he regained consciousness.
              “Nicholas,” Dan said tears streaming down her face as she crawled over to him, “The bastards . . .” her voice broke off and she began to sob.
              Nicholas pulled her into a hug and comforted her, saying, “It’s alright, Shhhh, now take it easy.  My past had to catch up with me some day, I’m not exactly the best person for you to be involved with.”
            “Are you alright? Come on lets get out of this alley,” Dan said helping him up and letting him lean on her shoulder as they hobbled down the Soho hill to her house. Once inside she helped him sit on the couch the sat down beside him.
Dan looked up at him then said, “I’m so sorry, this is all my fault. I shouldn’t have let it go that far,” she pushed his hair out of his face.  “I mean Olivier was only injured,” her voice broke off and she whispered, “three weeks ago, he isn’t even released from the hospital yet.”  She looked into Nicholas’s eyes and confessed, “I had a crush on him for the longest time, I even went out with him a few times.  He was injured in a rumble with the North Siders. I don’t think Toni’s over him yet…”
            “I’m sorry to hear about that,” Nicholas said soothingly.
            “What I don’t understand is why they jumped us, both Roslyn and Kurzaq fought along side the Soho in that rumble,” she said, a puzzled look coming over her face.
              “I have no idea why Roslyn beat me up,” Nicholas lied quickly causing Dan to give him a curious look.
          “You didn’t, Nicholas?” she asked looking into his eyes.
        Nicholas rolled his eyes, “The first night I was in town, I was desperate and needed money,” he said as if it made his actions any less erroneous. 
        “Poor Roslyn, Olivier wasn’t close to them but it must have been a shock. I know my brothers drank themselves stupid for a while after that day,” Dan said pulling her legs up against her chest, “But still . . .” she shuttered.
        “It was stupid, but you knew my past from the get go,” Nicholas said getting up and limping to the stair case, “I’m gonna borrow some o’ Marley’s clothes ‘n’ get a shower.”
      “All right I’m gonna wait for Charlie to get home,” Dan said and curled up on the couch.  Dan didn’t have to wait long for her brother to get home. Charlie walked in the back door about ten minutes after Nicholas went upstairs.  He walked into the living room and saw Dan sitting on the couch with a fresh black eye and said, “Were you and Marley fighting again?”
        “No,” she said, “It’s a long story.”
        “Well I ain’t goin’ anywhere,” Charlie said sitting down next to her. Dan looked at him then quickly related what had happened in the alley. She explained everything, needing someone to confide in. When she was finished Charlie sat in silence for a few minutes.
        “So Roslyn fought Nicholas and you got the crap kicked outta you by trying to defend him?” Charlie clarified.
“Yeah,” was all Dan would say.   

4

Roslyn kicked the empty beer can across the yard and into a chain link fence where it stuck in the ivy.  He slouched with his hands in his pockets and lit a cigarette.  Taking a pull he looked over his shoulder at the lime conversion van parked in Charlie’s drive way.  His eyes reflected the loneliness he felt with a cold steel front.  From the curtained window he saw Zeus peering out, wondering if he was still leaning against the fence watching him.  Roslyn met his eyes and held his gaze, challenging him to come out, to confront him again.  He had retreated for two and a half days and now on Friday just as the sun was setting he returned. 
         Zeus’ head reappeared, this time in the back door of the van.  Roslyn watched as Zeus opened the barn style door and perched on the bumper, his gaze never left Roslyn as he beckoned. Roslyn turned back and stared into the sunset, ignoring Zeus.  Roslyn waited a few seconds until he was sure Zeus was looking else where before continuing to watch him from the corner of his eye.  Zeus pulled his leg up and rested his head on his knee, looking out into the street with dull eyes.           
            A few more seconds passed until Roslyn built up the courage to causally jump the fence and saunter around the van.  Zeus looked up as Roslyn’s high tops entered his field of vision, “You come back to finish me?”
            Roslyn rolled his eyes, “Look, I ain’t gonna hit ya.”
          “No? You got someone else around the corner to kick my ass, then?” Zeus said, glaring up at Roslyn.
          “No blood shed, I promise.  I came to talk, alright,” Roslyn said slinging his hands in his belt loops.
          A slight smile kissed Zeus’ lips and he said, “Fine, say your piece, I ain’t making any promises.”
          Roslyn whipped his head around, “My piece? Damn it, you . . .” his voice trailed off and he covered his eyes with his tanned hands. 
          Zeus looked down the street as Roslyn collected himself and said, “I’m sure you’ll feel a hell of a lot better if you spill, but I’m just a damn prostitute, what do I know?”
          “What do you know? Wha’ da you know? God, Zeus . . . “ Roslyn ran his fingers nervously through his long ebony hair. 
        Green eyes reflected the harsh sun set light as Zeus glared up at Roslyn, “For comin’ here to talk you aren’t making much sense.”
        Roslyn looked into the sunset again and sighed.  “I came to tell you I feel like shit, you know,” his eyes reached out for Zeus but he kept his gaze on the pavement, “without you,” Roslyn leaned against the door and nudged Zeus with his knee. “D’you hear me? I feel like shit without you!” He repeated, his eyes boring holes into Zeus’ pupils.
        Zeus pulled his other leg up onto the bumper and wrapped his arms around them, “I’m sorry I had that effect on you.”
        Roslyn glared down at him and shouted, “Will you stop sulking, God damn it! You aren’t the only one here,” his voice cracked and he whispered, “I’ve never gone through this before, help me,” Roslyn cupped Zeus’ face and brought his eyes up to his own, “Please?”
          Zeus pulled away and turned to face the open conversion door, “I can’t fathom you, Roslyn. You beat the shit outta me one day and then crawl back the next.” He looked over his shoulder and straight into Roslyn’s eyes, “I wish you’d tell me what the hell you expect from me.”
          Roslyn rolled his eyes in thought, “Leave Dan and give me a chance, teach me,” he slid down the door and squatted next to Zeus, “teach me all you want me to know and I’ll forget the rest.”
          Zeus smirked at this, “Now you’re usin’ me, Roslyn,” he said pushing him onto his haunches.  “You keep on like that and I’ll do anything.”
          Roslyn pushed himself back up onto his toes and rested his forearms on Zeus’ knee and whispered, “Good, meet me tonight in the West Wharf.”
        Zeus smiled and brushed the hair out of Roslyn’s face and said, “I don’t come cheap, boy,” then he stood on the bumper and disappeared inside the van. 
        Roslyn stood up and sauntered back to the fence, a smirk on his face and a spring in his step.

5

After Nicholas closed the van door he sunk down onto the soiled and stained mattress, a constant reminder of his past, and thought.  Nicholas sorted his emotions into piles inside his head.  Dan collided with the other girls from his past and he tossed those painful memories aside.  Roslyn came to mind along with his friends in Montreal, the awkward moments melted before his search.  Nicholas pushed his friends aside as part of the past and returned to his thoughts of Dan and Roslyn.
          Tiring of his mental debate, Nicholas changed his shirt and started the engine of his van.  As the headlights flickered on Nicholas glimpsed Dan’s face in the window.  Her face was marred with confusion as he pulled out of the drive and headed down the Soho hill towards the West Wharf.

6

Nicholas turned off the headlights as he pulled into a shipping yard on West Wharf and reclined the driver’s seat.  He let the doubtful thoughts enter his conscience as he waited in silence. 

Roslyn lit a cigarette across the dock from the green van.  He slouched against a crate debating whether to go over or just turn around and head for home.  He smoked his cigarette down to the filter and crushed out the butt before slowly stepping out into the moonlight.  Roslyn pushed his hair back and slung his leather jacket over his shoulder before taking the first step towards the van. 

Zeus looked out the window and saw Roslyn silhouetted in the moonlight and his heart leapt inside his chest. As Roslyn sauntered closer he became more anxious and ran his fingers through his hair. 

Roslyn paused a few steps from the van.  He closed his eyes, wet his lips and boldly opened the sliding door.  Zeus was sitting on the edge of the mattress fiddling with the fringe of a pillow.  Roslyn climbed up and sat next to him. 
         “Hey,” he said resting his forearm on Zeus’ knee.
         “Hey, Roslyn,” Zeus looked up at Roslyn and continued, “I’ve been thinking ‘bout all of this and I don’t know how this stands.  I mean I gave up . . .” Roslyn put his finger on Zeus’ lips and kissed him.
         “Right now I don’t want to think,” Roslyn said kissing him again. 
Zeus looked into his eyes, “I could agree with that,” he said poking Roslyn in the chest and leaning into his kiss.
            The kiss led to more open forms of affection and Zeus reached up onto a shelf and retrieved a box of condoms.
          “You sure you don’t want one of these,” he said opening the box.   
A smirk crossed Roslyn’s face and he said, “I ain’t gonna get pregnant if that’s what you’re worried about.”
          “Suit yourself,” Zeus said opening a foil package.
“No, lets be loose,” Roslyn said and tossed the box of rubbers aside and putting Zeus’ hands on his hips.  Roslyn looked over his shoulder into his eyes and Zeus returned his look with equal passion.  Moment by moment they became lost in the night, in the sweat, and in the blood. 

7

Dan stood in the shadows of West Wharf and her gaze fell upon Nicholas’ van parked in the shadow of a shipping crate and a crane.  Her thoughts wondered to what she had scene this evening.  Why had Nicholas left with out telling her where he was going?  He wasn’t the type to run off in the middle of the evening. 
         Like many in her generation Dan took to substances to relieve her stress and tapped out a cigarette.  With the familiar cylinder in her hand she felt a bit of her emotions ciphering off into the cool July night.  She fumbled in her pockets for a match and struck the light on the rough wooden crate.  The fire lit the night making the air warmer than Mother Nature intended.  As the fire met tobacco Dan felt instantly better, her nerves steadied and she thought clearer as the leaves and paper took.
         As the night wore on Dan became more and more anxious about her lover’s intentions. The hours became as numerous as the butts littering the ground and dawn kissed the cobalt sky with rose and amber.  Dawn broke fully with Dan’s heart as the back door of the lime conversion opened and Roslyn jumped down followed by Nicholas.  She watched from amidst the shipping crates as Nicholas pulled Roslyn into a hug and a passionate kiss. 
                As they broke away she heard Roslyn saying, “When can I see you again, Zeus?”
                Nicholas held his hand and said, “Call me by my name, Roslyn, call me Nicholas.”
                Dan watched as Roslyn gave Nicholas a look she herself had given him not so long ago.  She longed to run to them as Roslyn asked, “What happens next, Nicholas?”
              “I got a letter from my brother in Canada and he wants me to come back up there to stay with him for a while.  I’m sure you’ll be welcome, come see me in Montreal anytime,” Dan looked on as he handed Roslyn a slip of paper she guessed had an address written on it. 
              Roslyn took the paper and looked up into Nicholas’ eyes and said, “I don’t know about going public with all this . . . ” Nicholas kissed him and whispered, “He’s my brother it’s not public, it’s family.”
              Dan looked away as Roslyn pulled Nicholas into and embrace and slipped away deeper into the Fishing District.  Nicholas stood on the weather beaten wooden deck for several long minutes watching Roslyn’s back disappear into the dawn light.  Finally she could with stand it no longer so she took a few steps forward and stepped into the light. 
            “When were you going to tell me?” Dan asked, her voice strong and her arms crossed over her chest.  Nicholas spun around and met her with an astonished look on his once dreaming face. 
          “Dan, when did you get ‘ere?”
          Dan disregarded his question and continued, “How could you do this to me? I lowered my walls for you and this is what I get in return?”
          Nicholas put his hands up in a defensive manor but Dan continued with her questions and her emotional hurts. 
          “He beat the shit out of you and you crawl back to him like some,” her arms shot out above her head as she searched for the appropriate word, “some cheap whore.  I thought you didn’t work for pimps, Nicholas? Huh, what happened to that Nicholas? What happened to the Zeus I met with Lemon? How does he fit into to this? How do I fit in here?”
            “Dan,” Nicholas started tentatively, “I had to get my thoughts and feelings in order.  Some things just can’t be forgotten and others can be let go."
            “Are you saying you just let us go?”
            “No, when I was with you it was nice, in a friendly kind of way.  Roslyn is completely different; he’s dangerous and unpredictable.  He brings out a different side of me, a side I had suppressed.”
            “What? You want me to beat you to a pulp? Is that it? You want me to be dangerous?” Dan shouted into the dawn sky and flicked open her switchblade, with tears in her eyes she said, “I can be dangerous, Nicholas, but dangerous people cause their loved ones to get killed. I did love you, but after tonight it’s over.”
            Nicholas took a step towards her in an effort to comfort her as she broke down on the weather hardened lumber and wept but the knife in her left had held him back.
            Dan let everything out, her emotions for Olivier poured out on to the wharf deck along with her sorrow at losing Nicholas. Her tears fell in memorial of a summer love shot to hell just as if blossomed by a rumble. 
            Looking over his shoulder at his van Nicholas turned and walked away.  He opened the driver’s side door and climbed in, with one quick glance over his shoulder a tear shown in his eyes.  Dragging his hand over his face he revved the engine and pointed the lime green van north and departed Edge City.           
 


© Copyright 2007 T.W. Scarlette (tw_scarlette at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1282677-Summertime