*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1282006-Reality
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1282006
Chapter One...... more on the way!
I never should've opened that chest. Maybe if I hadn't, I wouldn't be fighting for my life right now. But who would have thought that one small wooden box would contain an evil big enough to destroy the world. An evil that I unleashed upon mankind.


This evil has a name. Its name is my name, or at least that's what he calls himself. Its face is mine. You could say that I am the evil. But I am not. I have been framed by myself, or rather the other me.

This all sounds strange. I know. I experienced it and I still am having trouble believing it. I keep waiting for my father to come and wake me, or to hear the rooster's crow. But no, this is real. The sweat raining off my brow, the blood spilling out of my wound, it's all real. I must keep telling myself that, otherwise I would never believe it.

With every swing of my blade, my arm gets heavier. Right now, it's all I can do to stay upright. All my energy is gone. Soon I will either collapse from exhaustion or one of the creatures I am fighting will be merciful and end my misery. I can only hope that my ending will be quick and painless.

But I am only hoping.

I suppose for you to fully understand my story, I shall have to tell it from the beginning.




First Chapter

The sounds of swords clashing and men dying rang in my ears. I raised my sword to block a swing from my opponent.

'CLANG'

Our swords met with alarming force. I staggered backwards, almost tripping over a rock. Luckily, I caught myself. Or so I thought.

I landed on my back with a rock striking me between the shoulder blades.

I am going to die.

My last thought was, 'How could you betray me like this? Right now?'

My opponent was standing over me now, with his sword raised high. He smirked at me and I trembled in fear. His sword gleamed evilly in the mid-day sun.

I scrambled backwards, trying to escape my impending doom.

He positioned his sword so that it was right above my neck, ready to deliver the fatal blow. Before he killed me, he decided to take off his helmet so that I could see the face of the man who brought my death. He reached up and took off his helmet.

'NO! It was -'

I shot up in my bed, sweat was pouring off my face. I sat in silence, except for the sound of my labored breathing. The rooster had just crowed, but the sun had yet to rise. It must've been about six, or a little before. It had all been a dream, no, a nightmare.

I couldn't go to sleep again, not with that horror still fresh in my mind. I might as well take a walk. Now if only I could get out of bed. My legs were tangled in the sheets thanks to my thrashing.

It was cold, very cold. I was just going to have to jump out of bed before I changed my mind. My feet hit the floor with the force of a hurricane. I pounded down the hall, through the common room and kitchen, and out the door.

The cold air hit my bare chest as soon as the door was shut behind me. I shivered. Why hadn't I put on a shirt and some boots? I wiggled my bare toes, now covered with dew. Oh well, I'll survive.

I walked around our property, which extended about two miles in almost any direction from the house. It took me a good hour or so to walk around about half of it. Finally, with wet feet and a clear head, I walked back inside the house.

My brother Kayne walked in the common room. He looked around for a minute before realizing that I was there.

"Roland! Where have you been?"

I lied and told him that I had been out hunting. He didn't need to know about my dreams.
"Without shoes, a shirt, or your bow? Doing the thing that you hate most...” He trailed off.

I smiled weakly. "Yes."

He nodded and walked back to his room. I sighed and walked back to mine. I grabbed a shirt off of a peg and quickly got it on. I found my shoes and slipped them on and walked towards the door. When I opened it, Kayne was right outside. His hand was right where the door had been, getting ready to knock. He had all of his hunting stuff in his other arm.

"C'mon Roland. Let's really go hunting."

Great. Another hunting trip. Why couldn't he just go by himself? He knows I hate hunting. I hate just sitting and waiting for the animals to come to you. And I almost always miss. Kayne should just go. He's the better shot anyway.

"Roland, are you coming?!" Kayne shouted from outside, "Hurry up!"

I sighed and trudged out to where he was standing. He nodded for me to follow him. I picked up my bow and arrows from the ground and walked after him. The ground was so muddy; it’s a good thing that I hadn't come this way earlier. Since I had absolutely nothing better to do, I looked around and took in some of the scenery. A few yards away, I saw an odd tree. It was white, an obvious contrast to the dull brown that surrounded Kayne and I. I took a closer look and saw that it was glowing. Now this was unusual.

I poked Kayne, "Look at that," I pointed in the general direction of the tree, "Isn't that strange?"

We both walked over to it. The tree had twisting vines all over it; some were even entangled in the branches. The vines looked fragile, but when I pulled on one of them, it was strong as the tree trunk itself. Now, the leaves on the tree were very strange. They were strange because there were none. This tree had no leaves at all, only vines twisting all the way up to the top. Kayne must've noticed too because he was looking up to the top of the tree, scanning for any leaves.

I heard a branch crunch behind me. I paused, trying to figure out if it was a person, or if an animal had just ran by.

"I see that you boys have discovered the tree."

I whirled around to face an aging man with a snow white beard and a receding hair line. He smiled at Kayne and I. I grabbed the hilt of my sword. Even though he looked old, he could be a young wizard in disguise. He smiled again.

"Fear not. I will not harm you." The old man said, turning his palms towards us in a signal of peace.

Kayne must have felt threatened, because he yelled, "What do I have to fear from an old man?" And he pulled out his sword.

The old man took a step backwards. Kayne raised his sword. Just as Kayne was about to strike, the old man raised his staff and swung it around, disarming Kayne. The man smirked. "What do you have to fear from and old man? Tell me." he paused, "I did say that I would not harm you."

Kayne picked up his sword, looking quite embarrassed. He mumbled an apology to the man and took his place next to me. He stared at the dead plants on the ground, looking up occasionally, only to glare at the man.

"I am Roland, this is my brother Kayne." I said, gesturing between myself and Kayne.

"Most call me Shadow Caster, but you may call me Benji."

Kayne whispered a warning in my ear. "Be careful, he might try to put a spell on us."

Benji turned and gestured toward the tree. "Do you see this tree? It once was a gathering place for elves and all sorts of other magical creatures."

"Elves?" Kayne paused as he raised an eyebrow, "And other magical creatures?"

Benji whacked Kayne in the head with his staff. "Don't question me Boy!"

I jumped to my brother's aid. "Why did you do that?!" I shouted at the old man. But he wasn't there. I helped Kayne up and we started to walk away. Suddenly, Benji appeared once again.

"Master Roland..." Benji said, his voice oozing with excitement.

"Master?" Kayne questioned. The old man raised his staff again.

"Do you WANT to get beaten?"

"No!" Kayne yelled. "Stop threatening me!"

'WHACK' the old man hit him once more. "Stop ordering me around Boy!"

"STOP HITTING ME!" Kayne yelled as he stepped forward and grabbed Benji's staff. He hit the old wizard in the face. The man's nose started to bleed. Benji raised a hand, as if begging Kayne to step away. Suddenly, Kayne flew backwards, his flight ending when he smacked into a tree.

"Do not mess with me Boy." Benji hissed, gritting his teeth.

"I am not master of anything." I said, completely ignoring Kayne. He deserved what he got.

"Ah. You know not of what lies ahead." The old man sighed, "And I know not if I should tell you or if it is not my place to do so."

I shot Benji a questioning glance, and then turned to Kayne. He was shuffling nearer to us. His hands were pressing into his back as if he could grind away his pain. He glared at the wizard, his eyes betraying his new hatred for the man. As I walked towards Kayne, Benji continued to talk, but I did not hear a word he said. I was too busy assisting my brother. Kayne whispered," Forget about him putting a spell on us, I think we just need to worry about him killing us!"

I nodded. "We need to go. We have some... business at home that we need to take care of." I said quickly to Benji. I hoped he believed my excuse. He sharply nodded and waved us off.

"Well, off you go. We will meet again Master Roland." Bowing low to the ground, he started to disappear.

As soon as he was gone, Kayne and I turned and began to walk back towards home. Along the way, Kayne managed to shoot a few small animals. I on the other hand, had managed to waste all my arrows. Kayne tried to give me a few tips, but no matter what he taught me, I still missed.

When we got back on our property, we saw that all the lights were on inside. I took a quick look at Kayne, and we both bolted toward home. I slammed the door shut behind me and looked around. No one was there, but the smell of liquor was poignant.

Nothing was out of place. It was silent, almost too silent. Almost. The only sound was the sound of heavy, even breathing coming from the hallway. I tip-toed out to see what was making the noise. My father was collapsed on his small bed. His arms and feet were hanging over the edges, and his face was buried in the sheets. He was snoring softly.

I walked quietly out of the room and Kayne was in the common room on one of the wooden chairs. "He's sleeping. But when he wakes up..." I trailed off. Kayne knew better than I how many bruises and beatings our father could give. I paused, trying to figure out what to say next. "I wonder what he meant by 'Master' Roland."

Kayne shrugged. "Dunno. Maybe nothing, He might just call everyone 'Master'. He is a bit of a loon if you ask me."

"You're just saying that because he beat you." I said playfully.

"DON'T QUESTION ME BOY!" Kayne said, mocking the old wizard. I hit Kayne over the head like Benji had.

"Whoa! Roland, You do have some strength." he said,” Just not enough to beat me." He tackled me and pinned me to the floor. I flipped over and got his arms behind his head. Kayne somehow managed to kick me over his head and get back up. I flew back and hit a chair, which turned over and hit the floor with a loud thump. We paused, but only for a second. I guess all our thrashing and crashing had woken up father because next thing Kayne and I know, there he is, standing at the end of the hall, waiting, just waiting.

His bloodshot eyes narrowed in anger." Kayne, come here Boy!" He yelled. Kayne shot me a somber look and hung his head as he walked over. We both knew what was coming. A beating.

Kayne, who was usually a lot bigger and stronger than other boys his age, now looked weak and small standing with his head bowed before our father. Our father dragged Kayne into the other room, and I heard a loud crash. Kayne came out. His nose was bleeding and his lip was busted clean open. I knew better than to ask what had happened. He didn't say anything, but just went out to the barn like he always did after father had beaten him.

I don't know why, but I had never been beaten. Not like that. I think that father blames Kayne for Mom's death. She died when I was two, when Kayne was born. And I think Kayne blames himself too. He never talks about her, and when I do, he just tunes me out.

Father went back to bed, and I walked back into my room. I sat down on the bed and picked up a book that I had borrowed from Kayne. When I opened it, a piece of paper fell out it, was a letter.

Michael,

I know you said that we have to be completely honest with each other, and up until this point I haven't been doing that. I have lied to you about something since the day I met you. The parents you met were not my parents. They were my aunt and uncle. My real parents were actually quite rich and they died when I was very young. They left me a large sum of money to help my aunt and uncle care for me, but I never was told where it was kept. I just figured it out on my own. It's not that hard to find

The letter cut off. Mother had never finished it. She never gave it to him either.

Money. If there is one thing that we need the most, it's money. If I could find the chest, I could make father happier. Maybe he'd stop beating Kayne too.

My stomach growled. The sun was at its highest point. It must've been about noon. I went into the kitchen and looked around for something to eat. There was nothing there.

I grabbed a few coins and headed out the door. On my way into town, I saw a group of shady looking people. I thought I recognized one of them, but I couldn't be sure.

I arrived home right before dark. Kayne was still out in the barn, I went out to go see him. His face still looked very bad. It had started to bruise. His eyes were red but his face was sternly set, his eyebrows were in a downward slant. He looked at me and said quietly, "Roland, I've made up my mind. I have to leave. It's just best."

I stood there, staring. My tongue wouldn't work. All of the words that my mind was forming wouldn't come out. I shook my head. "You can't. You can't just leave me here. You-"

"I have to. You see what he does to me. He loves you Roland. You didn't kill your own mother!"

"Kayne, you didn't. You need to stop blaming yourself!"

"No. Roland, you don't get it do you? I killed her! If it weren't for me, she'd still be here!" He got up from where he had been sitting. "Roland. I killed her. I killed my mother." He turned and ran out of the barn.

I knew he would run. He kept telling me he would, but he never has. But this time, I knew he wasn't kidding. I didn't know whether to tell father and have Kayne get beaten or let him run and have him get hurt out there by something worse. I had to go after him! Maybe while I'm out, I'll find some answers. I left Father a note saying I'd be back when I had the chance, I didn't dare tell him about Kayne for the fear of what might happen. I didn't write another word more. I didn't want to risk him coming after me. I left right after I finished the note. He'd find it in the morning, but by then I'd be long gone.

© Copyright 2007 - Cynical Hearts - (cynical_hearts at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1282006-Reality