*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1281318-The-open-door
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Satire · #1281318
There will be no dawn.
It was cold. The metal all around him seemed to get smaller with every breath he took from his exhausted lounges. His name was Watson.
Whenever he could summon the oxygen to do so, he talked to Jared, with whom he shared this hellish reality.
Talking was the only thing that kept each from going insane.
Even then, Watson had doubts of any sanity. He often turned and stared out at the other cells, visible only through one side, and wondered at how the Omnicrons had amassed so many captives. The war as he perceived, had only gone for 2 days.
"Its happening", Watson said, the fear evident in his voice.
As had happened so very often, the creatures came from the darkness. The open door. Their trim features almost gliding across the ground. The Omnicrons.
They selected a row of cells and removed the inhabitants. They were loaded onto a cart that hovered a few feet above the ground, and taken into the darkness.
"Its going to happen". Watson said, "one day, they'll load us onto one of those things, and take us into the darkness".
He began to cry. His head banged against the steel and he brought his knees closer to his body. He hugged them as he whimpered. "its not fair".
The cold all around him formed his tomb. He would spend forever in this tomb. Wasting away the years as eternity rears its head. There will be no dawn. Not this time. That was the only thing that kept him alive when he was a tele-marketer back home, as the darkness of night descends, there will always be a dawn to bring light back to the world.
"are you scared Jared". Watson whimpered.
Jared looked up at Watson, and gazed into his tear soaked eyes and said, "no".
"Why?", Watson said.
"What the hell is life. Why did we do any of it. Why did we sit in peak hour traffic, just to get to a job we hate to suffer and slave just to make somebody else rich, all to get a paycheck we then use to continue this existence, and cram in plenty of other shit we don't need".
"wow. That's a pretty pessimistic take on the world"
"Well this is a pretty pessimistic situation", Jared said, "The way I see it, your born, and you die. Everything else, the cars, the houses, the tvs, EVERYTHING. Is just a tool to kill time until we die".
The Omnicrons reappeared from the darkness.
"I don't want to die", Watson said as the creatures glided toward their cell. " I just want to wake upp in my bed, to be at home"
The Omnicrons stopped at their cell.

They were on a cart now, and could hear nothing but their own fearful whimpers.
"ITS NOT FAIR", Watson yelled, "we're like animals to the slaughter".
They're cart slowly moved into the darkness of an open door. The Omnicrons now gone, propelled forward by some form of conveyer belt. Watson's life flashed before his eyes. His fist day at school, his wife, and just sitting by and watching the dark veil of night covering the world. The arrival. The war. The capture.
Jared however, had but a single thought go through his mind. The words just yelled by Watson.
"We're like animals to the slaughter".


The Omnicron had just returned from long hard day at work. He gazed out his window at the clouds of spaceships that arose and billowed away from the industrial zones. He went over to the fridge and removed a slab of meat. He cooked it and ate it without a single thought for the creature from whence it came.
© Copyright 2007 The anti jason (the-anti-jason at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1281318-The-open-door