*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1272306-The-Jumper
by drow
Rated: E · Short Story · Psychology · #1272306
When enough is enough, or too much.

The Jumper

She had made up her mind. There was nothing more she could do. Life had become too much. She got in her car and sped down the street. She knew exactly where to go. It was a short drive to the end.

Her eyes welled with tears as she recalled her childhood, her family, past relationships. There was just too much to sort through anymore. She spoke aloud to herself, "I am 25 years old today. Where has my life gone? Nowhere." She screamed, "Why? Why have I let this happen to me? I am a strong, intelligent person."

She picked up her cell phone. There was only one person she could talk to, could trust with the news of this decision. He would help her. He would be there to wave good bye. He knew what to do.

He reluctantly agreed to meet her. He knew she was at the end of her rope. All he could do now was support her.

They met at the entrance to the gorge. Together, they hiked up the side of the mountain to the drop off. She cried the whole way, sobbed, trying to rationalize her decision. It didn't matter, he understood. He, himself had been there before.

As they reached the top, she almost had second thoughts, but quickly washed them away with her tears. The wind was chilly, her tears grew cold. It only took moments for her to work up the courage. Then, through heartbroken sobs, she did it. She jumped.

She knew she had made the right decision. As she fell hundreds of feet in what felt like an eternity, her tears finally stopped and she found a smile. Then a scream of exhilaration.

As the bungee cord hurled her back upwards, she howled with excitement. She knew that nothing would ever be the same. At 25, her life began again.
© Copyright 2007 drow (sjl10 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1272306-The-Jumper