*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1260879-Steam-Phunk
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1260879
The tale of a Mechanic experimenting
         "wahoo!"  I rode the board to a stop just in front of the Phunk shop.  "Hello, is anyone home?"
         "Hang onto your ears, Elf boy!  I'm not as young as your are now!"  Phunk himself came waddling in, covered in grease as usual, but now with a new smell and the sound of something crackling in the back room.  "Whaddaya need from me today, Geoff?  Your hover board need another overhaul?"
         "Naw, just stopping by to see what you might need taken care of today...and maybe trying to tweak a little more speed out of your already amazing mini-jet engine?"  I hoped Phunk wouldn't take this the wrong way, because he was already the best race mechanic in the industry.  You know how these kind of people can be about their work.
         "Well..." Phunk started.
         "Well what?" I couldn't keep myself from asking.
         "I've got a new design for a board, but nobody is willing to try it.  You know why right?" Phunk said despairingly.  His last attempt to create a new board wound up blowing up right past the door of his shop. He continued, "I wouldn't blame ya if you didn't want to, but it should be about twice as fast as the board you use now."
         That certainly perked my already too long ears.  "Twice as fast?  As in, faster than the race board?"  By the way, the race board was already dangerously fast, so it wasn't allowed on the streets and I was confined to a mere jet board.  True, it could go faster than most leisure cars, but I am something of a speed freak.
         "It's my new design for a race board, so yeah it should be pretty fast." Phunk was almost laughing as he siad this, he IS the best mechanic in the business after all.
         "Sure, why not?  I like speed, you know that." I was all of a sudden very nervous, as I remembered the explosive tendencies of his other experiments.  "You have conducted whatever max output tests are mandated, haven't you?"
         "You know as well as I do that those tests don't tell jack squat about speed capabitlities, it's all up to the rider.  Besides, this is ... ummm ... new." Phunk was now unusually shifty, and gestured to me.  "Come into the back, you can see it before you try riding it."


END PART 1


© Copyright 2007 Mr. Cellophane (mr.cellophane at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1260879-Steam-Phunk