*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1240388-The-Secrets-Of-Needle-Mountain
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1240388
This is a fantasy story that is about people, fairies and portals.


Prologue

Once upon a time, far far away, in a land where humans are a myth, and riding unicorns is a way of life.  There is something.  Deep within the forest on Needle Mountain where nothing lives but trees.  No one who goes there ever remembers what happens up there when they get down.  It’s almost as if there was a spell that wiped their minds when they get to the bottom of Needle Mountain.  You may be wondering about the strange name.  You see, long ago when the Ancient People first awoke and seen Needle Mountain, it looked like a porcupine because of all the trees.  Back then, porcupines were known as needle backs, so they named this mountain Needle Mountain.
Now, back to the story.
The people who lived in the lands around Needle Mountain are not like us humans.  For starters, the average height is 7 ft. tall for giants, and 2 ft. tall for pixies.  Other beings are around 3ft to 4ft tall.  These people are strong beings who will beat out invaders.  But sometimes their armies are not strong enough.
Sometimes even magical beings can be thwarted.  I should know.  I was the first, and probably the last human ever to get into the land.  I know the secrets of Needle Mountain.  I see, you are now thinking this story could get interesting.  But first, you must know “Why did I want to go to the Magic Lands” and “How did I know about the Magic Lands?”.  But those questions are answered later, for now the most important question has yet to be asked.
“How did I, alone get to the magic lands.  A feat that no human or other creature has done since the Expulsion and get through the magic armies”

The answer is: I went through the portal on top of Needle Mountain.



















The Expulsion

         Long ago, before the expulsion, before the head warlocks cast the forgetting spell on Needle Mountain, humans lived in the magic lands.  Everyone coexisted peacefully, but something was going to happen.
         Emperor N’Zall hated humans, he felt that they were useless creatures.  You see, N’Zall’s father was destroyed by humans.  So ever since, Emperor N’Zall has hated humans.  Except one. . . . . . . . . . .Lena, his wife.
Lena was the only human to possess magic, and be able to work this magic without pentacles, runes, or chants.
         On the day before the war, Emperor N’Zall found out about a riot in Linderwall, the humans had captured a nymph princess, named Cimerone.  She had the gift of bestowing magical gifts.  The humans wanted these gifts.
So N’zall rounded up the wizard’s council, and set off for Linderwall.  After 3 weeks of perilous traveling through lakes, swamps, and getting lost in the Enchanted Forest, they arrived.
But, unfortunately, they were too late.  The humans had attacked Cimerone so much, she gave up and gave each human a magical gift.  But the greed of humans was their downfall.  They wanted more.  Using their magical gifts, they took the nymph’s power and shared it all around.  The humans now had magic.
It took the 3 years for the Emperors armies to defeat the humans.  The humans were chased up Needle Mountain. Then, the warlocks formed a magic circle and opened up a portal to an alternate world they had created, Earth.  This world would last 6 billion years, before it started to deteriorate, hopefully the humans would conquer their intense greed.  If the humans were not deemed fit to re-enter the magic lands, they would stay on Earth until it disintegrated, destroying the humans with it. 
To further destroy the memory of the humans, the warlocks sent a forgetting spell across the land.  Nobody remembered the humans, except Emperor N’zall, the council, and the human, Lena.
There were still 2 problems, one easily solved, and the other a more difficult problem.  The first was if any humans were too come back through the portal before they were wanted, what would happen?  The Warlocks put a forgetting spell around the bottom of Needle Mountain.  Anyone who crossed the line would forget everything and if they were human, would go back up Needle mountain and through the portal.
         The second problem was “What to do about Emperor N’zall’s human wife, Lena.

The Council Meeting

Back at the palace, the council debated what to do about Lena.  They couldn’t send her to Earth, because she had magic and they couldn’t keep her here as she was because how would they explain a human, to a world of people who had forgotten about humans.  Lena herself thought of the answer.  “What if I changed myself to a different being?”  asked Lena.
“How would that work?” shouted N’zall. “I could change the nature of my being into something that would fit in here better” said Lena.  “Fine you have 3 days to come up with a spell, execute the spell and be approved by the council” said the head warlock Qwan.  Lena nodded and left to her chambers in the high tower.

The Change
         
         For 3 whole days Lena tested and pushed her magic to the limits to come up with the proper spell.  Finally, she came up with a solution.  Lena kept her human shape, but shrank her height to 3ft.  She added wings to her back and lengthened her hair.  The only change to her face was pointed ears.  Lena named her change. . . .  . .a Faerie.  But most people spell it Fairy.
         Emperor N’zall accepted this change and proclaimed Lena, Queen of the Fairies.
         Now you may be wondering where I came into the story, well I come in about 2 paragraphs.
         Later that year, Emperor N’zall and Queen Lena had a child.  But there was one problem.  The child was a human.

The Problem and Horrible Solution
         
         Lena didn’t tell N’zall about the human child.  She knew what he would say.  He would blame her and probably destroy the child.  So Lena brought the child to the top of Needle Mountain and sent it to earth through the portal.  Not knowing that on earth, 5.99999 billion years had passed.  And in 14 years the Earth would disintegrate.  But she didn’t know that.  She just thought she was saving her child.  So Lena, turned around, wiped her tears away and flew down the mountain.  But what she didn’t know was that N’zall was with her the whole time, hiding. 
N’zall knew that the Earth was going to disintegrate along with his child.  But he didn’t care.

The Last Stand
         
Here is where I come into play during the story.  My name is Rose.  I am the daughter of Lena and N’Zall.  But I don’t live in a palace, I live in an orphanage.  Because Lena abandoned me to save me.  But she doesn’t know that the world is about to disintegrate.  With me on it.  So, I studied the maps of the world, researching all the mountains just so I could find out which mountain had the portal on the top.  Guess what.  It was Mount Saint Helen, in Washington.  And Mount Saint Helen is how the world gets disintegrated.  Because it’s about to explode.  And when I say about to explode, I mean it will explode within a week.  Good thing the orphanage is taking us on a tour of Mount Saint Helen.  Shouldn’t take me long to find the portal.  Right?
Here I am, right by the portal.  I don’t know what to expect when I get to the other side, all I know is.  I have to find my parents.  Wish me luck.
*Interesting Fact. The inside of portals?  Their kinda like purple lava lamps*

THE END? 
Not really.
© Copyright 2007 Jasmine Hamilton (jazzyjhamilton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1240388-The-Secrets-Of-Needle-Mountain