*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1232217-Kawakaze-Hekigan-Ubatama-Ichibannori
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1232217
The 1st in a series of mine called WolfFables. About a pack of wolves and their history...
From the depths of a cave the mouth of which obscures the vision only a few paces in, emerges a solitary wolf. Its fur is as black as to seem more an absence of light than a colour, and its eyes are a piercing blue, unusual for the adult wolf. As it wanders into the sunlight, it looks up towards the burning ball of light through the canopy of trees, then tentatively but calmly sniff the air. It stops stock still. It has smelt you, and lowers its head, turning the penetrating gaze characteristic of the wild wolf upon you.

The wolf saunters towards where you sit, deep within the lush green bushes, and sits down only a few paces away. It stares at you, directly into your eyes, searching you soul, for what seems hours. It knows you now. It offers a slow, lazy blink before lowering its head to lap a few mouthfuls of cold clear water from the stream that separates you. It looks up at you once more, in its own good time.

Welcome, Two-legger. The great majestic animal speaks in a voice that is reminiscent of the knowledge of ancient times, but also with an individual youth and clarity. It is a female voice, and seems to speak directly into your mind rather than out loud.

I am Kawakaze Hekigan Ubatama Ichibannori. If you prefer, you may call me Ichibannori. This is my home. You are welcome here so long as you mean no harm to me or mine. What lies here beyond this stream, is mine alone. I am Alpha here. Remember this; look as you will and wander where you will within my land, but you shall take nothing with you but my name, and an invitation to those you believe worthy of my trust. Leave the stories and lore of my home where they lay, that others may enjoy them where they belong.

With this last, the young she-wolf rises to her feet with the true power and grace hers by inheritance, and walks back to the cave mouth. You catch a glimpse of eyes in the dark, and the faint whimper of adult and juvenile wolf alike as they welcome their leader back from her sojourn.

Well, what are you still sat there for? She said you were welcome across the stream. Ah, yes, her name. Kawakaze Hekigan Ubatama (Ichibannori is more her title). You want to know what it means, correct? Well Kawakaze means breeze of a stream, Hekigan, in reference to her eyes; Ubatama is a description of her, meaning blue eyes and pitch/jet black. So, if you meet her, do make sure you show proper respect, wolf manners that is.

Go now and enter a world like that which few humans have seen...
© Copyright 2007 DarkWolf (darkwolfshowl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1232217-Kawakaze-Hekigan-Ubatama-Ichibannori