*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1223417-Unknown
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1223417
A short story I'm working on for my friend. Not finished yet.
                                       
                                    Eric was a man who put no effort whatsoever into life.  Every day, he'd go to work, come home, eat, take a nap, watch television, eat some more, and go back to sleep, restarting the process when he woke up.  He never cleaned, never dated, never read, never met with (nonexistent) friends, he just did his usual, lazy routine every day.  One day he came home from work.  He grabbed some chips, ate a handful, and went to his bedroom to take a nap.  He had slacked off at work today, but oh well, it was one day, who cared?  He relaxed and slowly drifted off to sleep.  He awoke to the sound of a ringing phone.  He woke up, ruffled his hair, and started towards the phone.  Whe he picked up, someone was urgently talking to him, at such a high speed that Jeff Gordon would be proud to hear it.  "I'msorryEricbutoyuarenolongeranyusetothecompany, soI'mgoingtohavetoletoyougo." Static filled his ear.  What was that all about?  Well, he was already awake, so he went and started heating up his microwave dinner.  He went over and grabbed the remote. 
          "What's going on with my fellow humans today?" he muttered to himself as he quickly pressed a combination of "Power" and "32" the channel for CNN.  The t.v. didn't do a thing.  He tried again, thinking he must have messed up the signal from his remote to the tv.  Nothing.  "Cheap batteries these days..."  With this, ho popped open the back of the remote where the batteries should have been.  Instead, he found a note.  "What the hell?.." he stuttered...what was this?  He must of done this to remind himself of something when attempting to watch tv, he silently assured himself.  He opened it. 
                    Dear Eric,
What good are you to the world?  Every day you put forth no effort.  Every day others attempt to help you, but are rejected because you are living your life on autopilot.  I've gotten you fired, so you will either have to put forth some effort to find a job, or starve.  I am in your home.  As a matter of fact, I'm watching you right now.  Don't try to call the police, I've got your phonelines tapped and blocked all emergency numbers.  Plus, I'll know if you try, because remember, I'm watching you...
                                                                      X
          "What the hell is going on!?  What the...  Who did this?!" Eric stuttered.  Blocking my phone lines?  That's a load of bull.  He walked over to his phone and dialed 911.  He felt a sharp pain in his temple, and blacked out.
          Eric woke up in his bed, breathing hard and sweating.  It was night time.  He vividly remembered his nightmare.  Jesus.  That was actually scary.  It seemed so real.  He started to get up to turn on the lights - and something yanked him back.  He looked at his arm,a chain enclosed around his wrist, connected to the leg of his bed.  As was his other arm.  He looked at his pillow..blood.  He looked down towards his feet.. and saw a man standing at the foot of his bed.
© Copyright 2007 C.T. Gammon (tuppermound13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1223417-Unknown