*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1222539-A-Universal-Dream
by Franky
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1222539
A young boy, Brian, trys to live through his life, and to achive his dream.
                                            A Universal Dream
                                                      Part 1

It was 1:32 P.M, and Brian was sitting down is Mr. North’s chaotic science class. The kids were screaming across the room, and paper balls were flying everywhere, and in the middle of this mayhem, Brian sat quietly in the middle of the room.
                It was like this everyday, and Brian learned to accept it. While Mr. North frantically tried to calm the class, Brian read his astronomy book.
         He loved astronomy more than anything, and it’s always been his dream to fly to space, to walk on the moon, and to see the stars. Mr. North knew about Brian’s love for astronomy, and he wanted to tell him everything about it, but he never had time because he was always taking care of the class. So Mr. North bought an astronomy book to look at during class. He also signed him up for 5th block to teach him more about the universe. Brian was thrilled about this, and he and Mr. North became close friends.
         Mr. North came over to Brian, as soon as he got the class to slightly settle down.
         “Hey Brian,” he said.
         “Hey,” he replied.
         “I’m not going to be able to bring you to 5th block today,” Brian’s heart sank. He always eagerly looked forward to spending 5th block with him.
         “That’s fine Mr. North,” he replied. And that was it, Mr. North just walked off to continue taking care of the class. The bell rang and everyone left for 5th block. Brian didn’t know where to go, so he just walked to study hall.
         In study hall, Brian continued to look through his astronomy book. As he looked through it, he though to himself, “If only I could go there, and stand on the moon, without the distractions of earth.” After 30 minutes, the bell rang again; it was time to go home.
         Life at home wasn’t going to well for Brian either. He is an only child, with an alcoholic father, and a minimum-wage working mother. His dad is out of work, and they fight all the time.
         Brian walked through the front, door and he was greeted with the sounds of yelling and screaming. He was sick of the arguing, so he ran up the stairs into his room.
         Brian hated all the noise in his life. So every night, after dark, he walks onto the back deck to watch the stars. This is only time in his day, where he finds true peace, and actually enjoys himself.
         Brian walked downstairs to grab a pencil.
         “Why can’t you find a job?!” yelled Brian’s mom. “We are living paycheck to paycheck! And your liquor bill doesn’t help either!”
         “Don’t you think I know all that?! It’s not like your paychecks bring in the money either.”
         “Oh, so what do we do, live on the streets?”
         “The streets would probably be better than this old dump.” Brian quickly grabbed a pencil then retreated to his room. His parents didn’t pay much attention to him, but he didn’t mind, they would probably yell at him anyway.
         Later that night, Brian quietly stepped out of his room. His parents were asleep in their bedroom. He walked down the stairs and through the living room, and out the back door. He quietly closed to door behind him. He then got out the blanket from behind the chair and laid it across the deck. Then he laid backed and let peace swell over him.
         He thought to himself, “Someday I’ll leave this place, and someday I’ll leave all the arguing and yelling behind.” And with that, Brian fell asleep.


© Copyright 2007 Franky (scottcardfan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1222539-A-Universal-Dream