*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1199719-Tuckers-Costume-Blues
by Jas
Rated: E · Other · Children's · #1199719
Tucker forgets to pick out his costume, or did he?
“It’s almost Halloween,” Tucker said as he hung pumpkins and bats in his tiny window, “I wonder if Nanna needs any help hanging decorations in the barn.” Tucker backed away from his window and admired his work. Then he grabbed his jacket and went into the barn.


“Hello Tucker, happy Halloween!” Nanna, the big brown horse greeted.

“Hello Nanna, and happy Halloween to you too! Do you need any help?” Tucker eagerly asked.

“Come to think of it, I do need help. I finished Molly Rabbit’s costume and I don’t have time to get it to her. Would you deliver it for me?” Nanna asked Tucker.

“I’d love to,” Tucker agreed. Nanna gave him a small box with a ribbon tied around it.

“Now be quick and don’t peek!” Nanna said to Tucker.

“I won’t!” Tucker exclaimed.

“Oh Tucker, what are you going to be for Halloween?” Nanna asked.

“I don’t know, I’ll think of something,” Tucker said as he hurried to the small door in the back of the barn.


Tucker sat beside the stream a moment to think. “I never thought about what I wanted to be for Halloween, I was too busy hanging decorations, planning a party and setting up games. Maybe I’ll be a scarecrow! That would be great!” Tucker clapped his hands together with delight. He knew what he wanted to be.

“Hello Tucker Mouse,” Bernard Cricket greeted, “Happy Halloween!”

“Oh, hello Bernard!” Tucker smiled, “happy Halloween to you too.”

“What are you doing?” Bernard asked.

“I’m delivering Molly’s costume for Nanna. What are you doing?” Tucker replied.

“I’m finishing up my costume. It’s the best there is! No one would think that a scarecrow costume would be so much work,” Bernard replied.

“A scarecrow costume!” Tucker exclaimed, “I thought about being a scarecrow but I thought of something I like better!” Tucker replied.

“What is it?” Bernard asked.

“It’s a secret,” Tucker smiled, “Well I have to get this to Molly. Bye Bernard,” Tucker said climbing to his feet.

“Bye Tucker,” Bernard said.

“I knew I should have thought about a costume earlier,” Tucker said miserably, “now I don’t know what I’ll be!”


Tucker sat down again and thought hard. “I know!” Tucker said, jumping to his feet, “I’ll be a ghost! That’ll be so scary.” Tucker gathered Molly’s costume box into his hand and ran off to give it to her. He crossed the stream and ran to her front door. He only knocked two times before Molly answered.

“Hi Tucker! Happy Halloween,” Molly greeted Tucker.

“Happy Halloween Molly, I brought your costume!” Tucker said, handing Molly the box.

“Great! Just in time for Halloween. I can’t wait to open it,” Molly said excitedly.

“Do you mind if I see it?” Tucker asked.

“Not at all!” Molly said tearing into the box. She reached in and pulled out a long white robe. She put her arms in the sleeves and tied the waist band. Then she put on a hood that completely covered her face. Only her eyes could be seen through two little peek holes.

“Do you know what I am?” Molly asked excitedly.

“Your a ghost,” Tucker said smiling.

“That’s right, isn’t it the best, what are you going to be?” Molly asked as she turned side to side, looking into a mirror.

“It’s a secret,” Tucker smiled, “Which reminds me, I need to get home to get it finished!” Tucker said goodbye to Molly and headed out the door.


Tucker walked to the big oak tree and looked all around. No one was in sight. He sat down beneath the tree and sighed heavily. “Now what am I going to be,” Tucker said sadly, “I know, I’ll be a king!”

“Who?” Tucker heard.

“Me,” Tucker said, looking up at Wise Owl.

“Ahem, Happy Halloween Tucker,” Wise Owl said, clearing his throat.

“Happy Halloween Wise, are you wearing a crown?” Tucker asked.

“Why, yes I am,” Wise said, “I’m King Owl for Halloween!”

“Aww man!” Tucker cried, “Now I really don’t know what I want to be for Halloween.”

“Why Tucker, were you going to be a king too?” Wise asked.

“Every time I think of something to be, someone else already thought of it!” Tucker said frowning.

“Sounds like you have the costume blues. Have you talked to Nanna?” Wise asked.

“Costume blues? Did I talk to Nanna?” Tucker asked, “no I haven’t. Does she know what I’m going to be?”

“Maybe, why don’t you go and see,” Wise told Tucker. Tucker got up, thanked Wise and headed to the barn to talk to Nanna.


In the barn, Nanna was waiting for Tucker to return. “Tucker, have you figured out what you want to be for Halloween?” Nanna asked.

“No,” Tucker said sadly, “everyone else already had their costumes and they’re going to be what I wanted to be.”

“Now that’s not true!” Nanna smiled, “Your costume was a surprise, remember?”

“I have a costume?” Tucker asked.

“Yes you do, it’s right here,” Nanna reached behind her and pulled out a tiny box just like Molly’s.

“What is it?” Tucker asked as he took it.

“Open it and see,” Nanna said.

Tucker opened the box and smiled, “I remember now! Thank you Nanna.”


That night everyone showed up at the barn for Tucker’s Halloween party. “Where’s Tucker,” they all asked Nanna. Nanna smiled and nodded towards his door. All of a sudden the door swung open and Tucker jumped out wearing a great big pumpkin costume.

“Happy Halloween everyone!” Tucker squealed in excitement, “let the games begin.” Everyone smiled and laughed for Tucker was the only tiny pumpkin there. The pigs and the watchdog were dressed as the three little pigs and the big bad wolf, Molly was a ghost, Bernard a scarecrow, Wise a king, the chickens were all dressed as laying hens, the rooster was a duck, and Nanna was dressed as an old woman. They played games, told scary stories ( but not too scary), and had a great time until they all fell asleep in Nanna’s big stall.

“Good night Nanna, thank you for curing my costume blues,” Tucker smiled up at Nanna.

“You’re welcome Tucker, good night,” Nanna whispered.
© Copyright 2007 Jas (merchant42106 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1199719-Tuckers-Costume-Blues