*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1195799-The-Crystal-Of-Erathipa-Part-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jaimie
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1195799
A fantasy short story
The Crystal Of Erathipa

Part 1


1.


The clock tower chimed 6’o clock. The sun had just gone down over the town of Willowdale, and there was a chilling winter wind howling through the streets. Our story starts outside a small shop, a shop with posters plastered over the windows saying ‘ALL STOCK MUST GO!” or “CLOSING DOWN SALE, ALL ITEMS HALF PRICE!” There was also a large selection of jewels, rubies the size of an adults fist and a lot of brightly coloured crystals, each pricier than the next. The shop was run by an old man by the name of Evalesco Sponge. He was not a wealthy man, although he had a fairly comfortable life.


Evalesco Sponge went over to the door and hung up the little sign which read ‘closed’ in large black letters. He sighed. It had been a tiring day, however quite satisfying. He had sold a very valuable piece today, for £4000. It had been very beautiful and at first he had been unwilling to sell it for anything less than £5000, but as he desperately needed the money he had hastily sold it after he saw he was not going to persuade the little old lady that had walked in. He walked round the counter and through the purple curtains into his office, slumping into a chair, he suddenly found himself staring at the oddest man he had ever seen in his life.

Evalesco’s first thought was that he looked like a wizened old owl. He wore a black hat with a red and white feather sticking out of the top. His face was wrinkled and scarred beyond repair, which gave him a rather aged look, although he can’t have been more than fifty or so. His small, beady yellow eyes were heavily lidded and he had an upturned nose. His long black hair had a ragged look about it, and he wore a small earring- a circle with a miniscule silver dagger through it. He wore a long black overcoat, which looked ancient, and it was as if it had been woven into his skin, it also sported a number of luxurious gold buttons. In one of his thin, bony hands he held a Dalaxian blaster. His boots were black, and looked very tight on him. If ever Evalesco was to see a man he would never forget it was this man standing in the doorway, covered in shadow as if he attracted it to him wherever he went.

“Um... Yes can I help you?” asked Evalesco in a kindly voice
“I don’t know yet.” He replied coldly, and this time there was a hint of harshness in his voice that clearly said ‘don’t mess with me’.
“Well yes er-“there will be no need for ‘ers’ today. “I assure you, I would not be here if it were not for some very important circumstances I need to discuss with you.”
“Of course. What is it that you are after?” “I am looking for a very rare crystal-“yes we have many; I mean we are a crystal sho-“Do not interrupt.” He said quietly but forcefully, and Evalesco looked as if he had suddenly been struck dumb. “As I was saying I am looking for a very rare, very exquisite piece of crystal.” He paused. “Believe me, this little… shop would have been the last place I expected to find it, however my sources tell me that the crystal is in fact here. So, do you have the crystal I am after?” a flicker of light turned on at the back of Evalesco’s head- could it be? Could it really be true? Was it possible that this man was after the crystal of Erathipa? He decided to play it calm and said “well I’m sure that if such a fine crystal was here I would know of it. I’m sorry sir, but unless you are more specific I cannot help you.” “


© Copyright 2006 Jaimie (jaimie123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1195799-The-Crystal-Of-Erathipa-Part-1