*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1189081-Inspire
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1189081
The challenged being who perseveres questions my adaptability and skills for survival.
Recently, I had the opportunity to know an extraordinary girl. Why extraordinary? Because she is a Neurofibromatosis sufferer but you'll never know it until you really talk to her. I certainly did not know when I first met her. Someone had to pull me aside and tell me about her condition when I thought she was hard of hearing. Yes, I was that insensitive!! She's not sorry for herself, she's not dwelling on the possibility of losing more of her life to this damned disease. No, what she actually did was corresponded directly with others who share a similar fate, and actively promote awareness of the disease. She does not passively submit herself to charity- when she needs money for her treatment, she organizes charity events! This person is Yvonne Foong. Don't ask me what NF is, I can only tell you it is a 'genetic disorder in which many soft, fleshy growths of nerve tissue grow under the skin and in other parts of the body' (from the Merck Manual). Well, it's enough to know that we have nerves everywhere to deduce that the tumours can also be everywhere!! That's scary. That means it'll affect our motor coordination, sense of hearing, probably our sense of smell and taste as well (what a disaster not to be able to taste chocolate!!), paralysis and finally the ultimate path of no return.

So how does she keep so upbeat? We can only guess. The sickening truth and force of pain- only she feels. If you wnat to know how she holds herself up all through this, visit her at www.yvonnefoong.com .
© Copyright 2006 tiwflah (lynax at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1189081-Inspire