*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1184617-Side-By-Side---I-By-The-Nut
Rated: XGC · Short Story · Drama · #1184617
The beginning of "neighborly love".
“Side By Side - I”
By
The Nut

November 21, 2006

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PART ONE:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karen had fallen in love with the house from the first moment she saw it. Even though it was in an old neighborhood and run down, her boyfriend, Ted, had all of the contracting licenses, and she’s sure that together, they can get the house whipped into shape.

Ted did have to admit that it was a beautiful old house – he could see why Karen loved it so. Even though it would take a lot of work, he had his licenses, and thought that he and Karen may even have fun doing the work together.

Karen and Ted are standing the yard one day shortly after the closing, staring at the house, and trying to decide where to start. “Good afternoon, folks. My name is Matthew Harmon – I live next door.” Matthew put his hand out to greet them, and shook both of their hands.

“I’m Ted Simpson, and this is Karen Bosworth. Glad to meet you. Have you lived here very long?”

“About two years. Bought the place when I retired from the military. Best twenty years of my life. I became a contractor, fixed this old place up, and now do work on the side to keep myself busy.” “Well, gotta get going. Gotta finish up before it rains, the sky’s starting to look dark. If you need any help, just let me know” said Matthew as he walked away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Few Months Later…
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early one Saturday morning, Karen woke to the sound of power tools coming from Matthew’s house. She looked over beside her and saw Ted passed out next to her. Who knows what time of night, or morning, more like, he got home, she thought. Karen fumed. Ted’s been working less and less, both on the job and on the house, plus drinking more and more. I need to get this house finished up, and I can’t do everything myself, she thought. She remembered Matthew’s offer of help, and decided to pay him a visit.

Karen walked across to Matthew, as he turned to face her, saying “good morning, Karen. I’m sorry, did I wake you?”

“No, not at all. I just wanted to talk to you about something. Do you remember your offer to help out with the house?”

“Why, yes I do. Do you need some help?” Karen felt embarrassed to have to ask for help, and this made her even madder at Ted.

“Actually, if you don’t mind, I do. Ted just isn’t able to anymore, and I can’t handle it on my own.” I know why, Matthew thought. “Sure, I’d be happy to.”

“I’ll pay you at your usual rate, just let me know how much.” “Karen, I won’t hear of it. You’re my friend and neighbor. Tell you what: I’ll charge you for supplies, and do the work free of charge.” Karen is surprised by his generosity. She also felt guilty accepting, but really had no choice.

“Is Monday evening a good starting point for you? That’s my first opening in my work schedule” said Matthew. “Sure, that would be great. Thank you so much for your generosity” said Karen, as she walked back to the house.

As Karen walked back to the house, she saw Ted peel out of the driveway and speed down the road. Now, where is he off to, she thought. He was supposed to finish the breaker box today. He’s gotten to be no good at all. Karen looked back behind her, hoping to ask Matthew for his help, but she’s too late. He’s already in his truck, pulling out of his driveway. Karen began busying herself with the few things that she could do on her own.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of hours later, Karen received a phone call from Ted, from jail. He had been arrested for DUI. “Karen honey, these pigs have me locked up for DUI, are gonna hold me hostage for 48 hours, and I’m not even drunk” Ted slurred. “Ted, I know better! You were drunk when you left. Enjoy your 48 hour vacation!” she shouted at Ted as she hung up the phone.

Karen was furious. That breaker box had to be fixed that day, because the inspection was scheduled for Monday. She looked out the window at Matthew’s driveway, and saw that he was still gone. Damn, she thought. I hope he can help me out later today.

About an hour later Karen finally saw Matthew pull into his driveway. Desperate, she rushed over to him. As Matthew turned away from his truck carrying his grocery bags, he saw Karen approach, visibly upset. “Karen, what’s wrong?”

“Oh Matthew, I need your help.” “Calm down and tell me what’s wrong.” Karen, much unlike her usual composed self, blurted out everything to Matthew.

“I’ll tell you what, Karen. I’ll fix your breaker box if you’ll have a steak with me, to christen my new grill that I’ve been working so hard on.”

“Oh thank you so much, Matthew. Of course I’ll join you.”

“Just let me put these groceries in the fridge and I’ll be right over.” “Oh, thank you so much” said Karen, as she went back to the house to wait on Matthew.

Matthew looked over the breaker box, and said “he almost finished the job, it won’t take long.” After he finished the job, he said “I need to go to my truck to get a tag for the inspector.” Matthew removed Ted’s tag and replaced it with his own. “Now, how about those steaks?”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karen and Matthew go to Matthew’s house for steaks and baked potatoes. After they ate, Matthew loaded the dishwasher, invited Karen to sit in the living room, and offered her coffee. “I’m sorry that I don’t have any wine or beer to offer to you, but I don’t drink.” “That’s just fine by me” exclaimed Karen.

Matthew decided to make a bold move. “Karen, I know that things between you and Ted aren’t that great. If there’s ever anything I can do to help, let me know.” “Well, if you know of a real man for me, let me know” she said, as she laid her hand on his knee. “Is there anyone you have in mind?” asked Matthew, as he put his arm around Karen’s waist. Then, Matthew leaned over, and he and Karen shared a deep, passionate kiss. He stood up and held his hand out to Karen. She smiled, took his hand, stood up, and let him lead her to the bedroom.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------






© Copyright 2006 The Nut (d_smith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1184617-Side-By-Side---I-By-The-Nut