*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1183547-Rapunzel-the-Impaler
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1183547
A twisted fairytale (for the contest) about Rapunzel...
It was said, in the small town of Vlad, that you take the everyday problems with the woman you have or you could have Rapunzel. If you decided that you would rather have Rapunzel opposed to whatever you already had then you were asking for death.
Rapunzel wasn’t your everyday woman; of course I’m sure that your everyday woman wouldn’t kill you on the spot. Very few men who went looking for Rapunzel returned and usually it meant that if they never returned they were too weak to make it through the gates of Rapunzel’s fortress. If you were to ask about the men who never returned, the townspeople would tell you they were selfish and disgusting and that Rapunzel was doing them a favor. And those select few who made it to see the light of day, either returned missing a limb or an organ. Walking down the streets of Vlad you will hear little girls singing the legend of Rapunzel:

Rapunzel, Rapunzel
Can see all
Watch your step
Your dark heart and selfishness
Could bring you to death
Rapunzel, Rapunzel
Can see through you like glass
Watch out or she’ll kill you
Where you stand

Little did the townspeople know that there was a little boy destined to bring Rapunzel to her knees, or maybe the other way around. The legend of the little boy fits with Rapunzel’s:

To bring down Rapunzel
You must have a heart of gold
To bring down Rapunzel
Her heart you must unfold
Diminish her taste for blood
To bring down Rapunzel
Before she changes her mind
Watch your step
Your dark heart and selfishness
Could bring you to death
Watch out or she’ll kill you
Where you stand


So the day the little boy grew into a man, was the day he was told his purpose in life. And so after confusion and arguments, it was done, he set off to steal Rapunzel’s heart.

At the outskirts of Rapunzel’s fortress would be where all of the townspeople would leave him, and he would be on his own. Before he walked through the gates, one man was left behind from the humungous crowd. They talked and then it was time for them to go their separate ways. He was left with a piece of paper and a long , sharp spear, with points at either end. The paper read his and Rapunzel’s legend. He knew that he had a heart of gold and he knew that he would at least make it through the gates. Walking toward the gates, they had old, ivy plants that grew for days and a warning sign that said “turn back or die”. But he wouldn’t and he didn’t die. He walked right through the gates with his eyes open, the spear sharp and ready, and the piece of paper folded in his pocket. As he walked he saw red roses abloom, flowing from thorn to thorn, a fountain of water, sparkling from the warm rays of the sun, and a statue. The statue interested him deeply though it made him sad. Half of it was in the shape of a woman, with tears rolling down her face and the other half was some sort of monster. At that moment he knew what that statue symbolized and found that maybe she wasn’t evil, maybe she just saw the evil in others and reacted.

Still yet to come was another gate. This gate was extremely tall and had red vines that actually looked like they were beating, as if they were connected to a heart. Once more he had his spear ready and heart throbbing. He walked through the final gates and to his surprise was still standing. At that moment he did as the old man, back at the first gate, told him and yelled, “ Rapunzel, Rapunzel, throw down your hair.” At the top of the tower, in the stone window, came out long, blond locks that reached down to the ground. “ Come up my dear, James.” She yelled down in a light, petite voice. He walked up to the locks, stuck the spear in the ground, and climbed up the long locks.

As he reached the top, and climbed through the window he saw the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. “ Your heart is of gold, don’t be afraid.” She said to him, turning her back to face the mirror. But James had forgotten to read all of the paper. It said both his and her legends, but it also said that when the sun sets, she changes into a blood thirsty beast, and that if she kills him her curse of turning into a beast will be broken, but she will still be and always will be blood thirsty. So as James walked up to Rapunzel, she turned around, as the sun went down, and rapidly pushed him out the window as she was about to transform into the beast. James fell to the ground, right through the spear that he left behind.

The next day everyone was waiting to see if James would return, but there was no sign of him. That same day the small town of Vlad was flooded with blood by Rapunzel the Impaler, killing men, women, and children, impaling them the same way she impaled James.
© Copyright 2006 Bluberri (babyc_22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1183547-Rapunzel-the-Impaler