*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1182284-Meet-Pop-by-The-Nut
Rated: 13+ · Non-fiction · Family · #1182284
This is an introduction to my Pop - who he was as a person.
Meet “Pop”
By
The Nut

November 23, 2006
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For one to really appreciate my Pop Chronicles, they have to get to “know” the man. Below, I have tried to capture his personality and essence. Hopefully, I can do him justice.

After spending about five minutes talking with Pop after meeting him, you had the feeling that you had known Pop all of your life. He never met a stranger.

Pop was a very kind and giving man, who would go the extra mile to help someone, whether or not he knew them well. He would always give someone the benefit of the doubt, without passing judgment, unless they wronged him in some way. He was very honest, and would not tolerate dishonesty from anyone.

Pop was a hard worker and a good provider to his family. He loved and accepted me, his stepson, as if I were his own flesh and blood. He was very generous, made sure that all of my needs were met, and insisted upon providing me with all of my wants. He was very financially conscientious, up to the point of paying bills on the same day they were received in the mail.

Pop was a gentle, sensitive, and soft spoken person to all people in all situations, unless you made a threat to him or one of his loved ones. Then, he would be protective and brave, without being rude or violent. But he would not back down, either.

Pop took great pride in his property and possessions, always making sure that they were cared for to the best of his ability, with much attention to detail. This carried over into her personal appearance. He was always clean shaven, bathed, and dressed in clean clothing. Unless he had been hard at work, you would never find him unkempt.

Pop was an avid gun collector and an exceptional marksman. He was not careless or a violent “gun slinger”, but was protective of his property and his loved ones. He would make an impressive stand of defense, but if push came to shove, I don’t believe that he had it in him to ever shoot someone.

Pop was a devoted Chevrolet customer. (See “Misjudgment” for further explanation.) For some unknown reason, he always chose black cars. He was a big believer in regularly scheduled oil changes and tune ups, and never missed them. One oddity about him was that he believed that “when the car should go, it should GO”. He had adjustments made to his car that caused the gas pedal to be very, very “touchy”. He was so concerned for my safety that instead of letting me drive his souped-up car, he insisted on getting a new one for me.
© Copyright 2006 The Nut (d_smith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1182284-Meet-Pop-by-The-Nut