*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1178607-Who-Knew
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1178607
Story inspired by Pink's song "Who Knew". I don't really know what else to say about it.
Who Knew
Disclaimer: I didn't actually write the song 'Who Knew'. As far as I know, Pink did. I am just using it for the purpose of this writing. 'McFly' is a real band and 'Danny' is a real person and I own neither of them.

I took the microphone from its holder and looked at the crowd. I didn’t know if you would be here or not, if you’d even still remember me. I introduced myself and looked around once more. I caught a glimpse of you making your way through the many fans that were gathered in front of the huge stage. I took a deep breath as the beginning notes of the song I wrote for you started.
“You took my hand and showed me how,” I smiled.
“You promised me you’d be around, uh-huh, that’s right,” You looked up at me. Maybe you knew the song was for you, about you.
“I took your words, and I believed in everything you said to me, yeah-huh, that’s right,” Your eyes were locked on me but I was looking at everything else, trying my hardest not to look at you. Thoughts of us came rushing back into my mind.
“Danny,” I screeched as you tickled me.
“Okay, I’ll stop.” You said as you sat beside me on your bed. I laid my head on your shoulder and you wrapped your arms around me. You were all I’d ever need. If only we could stay like this forever.
“I sent in that audition tape today,” You said in the sudden silence.
“That’s good,” I said looking at you. You knew what I was really thinking. I didn’t like the idea of you being in a band. It meant we wouldn’t be able to spend as much time together.
“You know, I may not even get in. Besides, I’ll always be here for you, forever. You know that.” You kissed my forehead as you tried to re-assure me that everything was going to be fine.

I flashed back to present time. The lights were so bright and hot.
“If someone said three years from now, you’d be long gone, I’d stand up and punch them out, ’Cause they’re all wrong,” the chorus started. I didn’t know how I was getting through this song. You were standing right in front of me and I was telling you exactly what I felt.
“I know better, ‘cause you said forever and ever, who knew?”
We were the perfect couple. Or so everyone said. Everyone envied our relationship. I guess we just couldn’t see it. I knew I loved you, I just didn’t know how much.
“Remember when we were such fools, and so convinced and just too cool, oh no, no no,” But, now I definantly knew how deeply I love you. I say ‘love’ because I still love you. I still love you as much as I did three years ago when you got accepted into ‘McFly’.
“I wish I could touch you again, I wish I could still call you friend, I’d give anything.”
“When someone said count your blessings now, ‘fore they’re long gone, I guess I just didn’t know how, I was all wrong, they knew better, still you said forever, and ever, who knew?”
You had always told me that no matter how far you were we would still be together and nothing could split us up. I guess you were wrong.
“Yeah, yeah, I’ll keep you locked inside my mind until we meet again, until we, until we meet again, and I won’t forget you my friend, what happened?”
“If someone said three years from now, you’d be long gone, I’d stand up and punch them out, ‘Cause they’re all wrong.”
“That last kiss, I’ll cherish, until we meet again,” And I was back at the train station three years back.
As your train was called you kissed me in the pouring rain and promised to keep in touch. You jumped on the train and waved good-bye and mouthed ‘I love you’. If someone had told me you meant for the first year of your career and then a phone call every now and again and then nothing, I wouldn’t have held on so long. But you had told me that you wouldn’t abandon me, you told me that we’d always be together. You told me and I believed you. I believed you because I loved you.
“And time makes it harder, I wish I could remember, but I keep your memory, you visit me in my sleep,”
Every night I dreamed of you and I dreamed that you would come back for me. I dreamed of so many things. I dreamed of everything you promised me.
“My darling, who knew, my darling, my darling, who knew, my darling, I miss you, my darling, who knew, who knew.” I finally looked down at you. You were trying to talk to me, but, I couldn’t hear you over the thunderous applause coming from the crowd.
“Thank-you,” I mumble into the microphone and walk away.


© Copyright 2006 Smile2011 (smile2011 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1178607-Who-Knew