*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1159844-Til-death-do-us-part
Rated: · Short Story · Adult · #1159844
This story is about a woman married to a psychologically abusive husband.
She sat by the window watching the tree branches sway seductively in the late October breeze. Sunlight filtered through the thin branches causing shadows to dance upon her swollen belly. She rocked slowly back and forth in her chair rubbing her sbdomen absent mindedly thinking about nothing; looking through the branches and into the filtered sunshine. She was looking for something in that sun tinted sky, but she wasn't sure what. She jumped as the grandfather clock down the hall announced the hour, not realizing she had been sitting in the same chair for the past two. She sighed and tried to think of what she had and hadn't done today. she had exactly an hour to finish the housecleaning and make dinner before He came home.
Her name is Sarah. A plain name for a plain girl. She actually used to be quite pretty, at least that is what others told her. She can't remember a day when she looked in the mirror and was satisfied with her physical appearance. She is naturally thin, but that also means small breasts when it came to her. She does have long, beautiful honey colored hair that matches her eyes perfectly. Eyes that used to be bright and vibrant, but now seemed dull and lost. Her skin, a natural olive is sprinkled with tiny freckles that cluster at her cheeks and shoulders.
Sarah slowly gets up from her chair and shuffles out of the room. She is seven months pregnant and has found that it has become increasingly difficult to move around with ease. This is why the housework isn't done yet. Usually she is done by lunchtime with dinner well on its way by now. She does not panic yet. She is confident that she can get everything done before He comes home. She sighs with relief when she pulls open the fridge to see that she remembered to pull out the chicken to thaw. She's not sure if pregnancy is to blame, but she has been very forgetful lately and it often gets her into trouble. She hums quietly to herself as she prepares dinner quickly and finishes the chores. She smiles a little to herself after everything is done as she is applying makeup to her weary countenance. Tonight will be a good night.


Sarah is lighting the candles when He silently glides through the door. She has zoned out again and isn't aware of his hulking presence. She nearly jumps out of her skin when he places a perfectly manicured hand upon her shoulder. "Oh my! You startled me, I didn't even hear you come in!" He just smiles breifly and rubs her shoulder with his forefinger. "Smells good, what are we having?" She walks into the kitchen knowing he will be directly behind her and pulls a steaming casserole dish out of the oven. "It's a new recipe I decided to try, I hope you'll like it" His eyes dart from the casserole to her and her smile fades. He takes the dish from her and carries it to the dining room without a word. Sarah's stomach heaves a little. She has never been able to get over this "morning" sickness that has followed her every month since the first. She is afraid that the new recipe was a bad idea. She curses herself, "what was I thinking?" His head peeks back into the dining room. "Sarah? are you coming to dinner or are you just going to stand there staring into space?" Sarah forces a smile and sits herself at the table as gracefully as she can trying to ignore the nausea that has visited her for the third time today.
© Copyright 2006 Tera Lynn (tlm228 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1159844-Til-death-do-us-part