*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1156037-Merediths-Big-Break
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1156037
girl looking for her big break meets a composer. Set in the 1920's
"Haven't I seen you at this theater before?"

Meredith Vanirecci looked at the man who had spoken to her. "I'm sorry. What?"

"You've been here before haven't you?"

Meredith nodded and gazed back at the poster advertising the latest show the theater was showing. She sighed and mumbled, "If only..."

"If only what? If you don't mind my asking," the man said.

Meredith tossed her short honey-colored curls and looked at the man. He was tall, but not too tall. He was older, maybe late thirtys. She gave him a quizzical look and he smiled, flushing a little.

"Sir, what is your name?" she asked, lowering her glance.

"It's Jerome Kern. And yours?"

"Jerome Kern? The composer? You aren't playing tricks on me are you?" Meredith shot him a glance with her brown eyes.

"No, ma'am. Not at all." He offered her his arm. "Would you like to accompany me to get a late-night drink?"

"I suppose so," Meredith said. She took his arm and went with him down the street.

"So what is a beautiful girl such as yourself doing standing out in the dark cold gazing at a show poster? If you don't mind me saying, I'de rather think you would be in show rather then looking at the poster of one."

"Why is that?" Meredith asked, curiously.

"Because you look like you could be a star," Jerome said with a winning smile.

Meredith laughed. "Oh, sir, if only that were true. If only every casting directer saw as you see. For you see I have been trying out for show after show but never got a part that suited me."

"A part that suited you?"

"Yes, in order for me to play a role convincingly, I must really identify with the character. And that is near impossible if the character has only one line, or none at all."

"So you don't like to play an extra is what you're saying."

"Not convincingly, no." Meredith sighed. "I'm afraid I'll never be able to prove myself if nobody gives me the chance."
© Copyright 2006 Liza Jane (neon45blue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1156037-Merediths-Big-Break