*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1143757-In-the-News
Rated: E · Monologue · Community · #1143757
Thoughts on News broadcasts of today.
In the News
© D. Cavanaugh


I watched the news today, switching from channel to channel it was all the same. Airport security increased, everyone is pleased. Everyone is annoyed by the delays. Is there any other way?

Someone was shot, gunned down in the streets near their homes. The neighbors are furious, they want the killers caught. The victims were good people, someone everybody loved. I didn’t even know them, not the one in the city or the one in upstate. “It must have been racial the family believes, why else would they take such a good person away.

There were stores robbed, one at gun-point, another with a knife. No one was hurt. The thieves got away. No one can identify the perpetrators for sure, even though there were several witnesses. The video cameras are just a deterrent. There was no film ever caught of the criminals in the act.

An actor from yesteryear has died. He was famous in his right and had won many awards. Today the news will end with a tribute to him. Movies I’ve never scene, actors I do not know mourn the loss of a close friend. I shrug.

A fight broke out in the streets amongst neighbors, not friends. Perhaps one or two were placed under arrest, the others warned to stay away. I guess there will be no borrowing sugar from your neighbor today.

Finally after an hour of news I leave my house. I have shopping to do today, not much more. As I drive to the stores and near the malls cars swerve in and out of lanes. Some signal some don’t, but who am I to judge. I can’t curse or swear for fear they may shoot. Road rage has taken over my thoughts of obeying the laws. No rationalizing with others like years ago, you keep your mouth shut and on you go.

If your opinion is voiced and your anger displayed you may be tomorrow’s news from today.
© Copyright 2006 D. Cavanaugh (opannod at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1143757-In-the-News