*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1140277-Sitting-on-my-Doorstep
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Rose
Rated: E · Other · Death · #1140277
This is a short story based on events in my life.
The moon shone brightly and the stars twinkled in the night sky. I looked up from my doorstep and couldn't help but wonder, is life already laid out for us? or is life an adventure of paths, fate, and change? Not long ago I was one of many who took to the blade and relaxed at the sight of a crimson river flowing from my skin. A broken heart torn from my flesh was the form of pain I did not wish to feel. Physical pain seemed more real, more potent, more bareable.
So I sit on my doorstep and wonder, is love already determined? or is it a game of decisions and mistakes? My broken heart still mourns for the love that cast me aside, and somewhere deep inside my soul is a glimmer of hope that one day my love will return to me. Mistakes are made when it comes to matters of the heart, but it takes a strong will and a strong heart to go back and fix them. There is always a chance at forgiveness...love...rekindling a future from the ashes of the past.
Sitting on my doorstep, twirling my long hair in my fingers, the hope remains as a fire in my heart, burning brightly. This hope is what guides me. And the fire burns brightly still as my old love walks up the path towards me.
I slowly stand up, grasping at the wall of the doorway, "What are you doing here?"
"I came to see you, I haven't seen or heard from you in weeks."
My pride gets the better of me for a split second, "Well you should have thought of that before . . ." My voice fades, I can't continue, I can't finish my thought. Instead he finishes for me.
"Before I decided to break your heart? Yes, I know, I just thought it was best for the both of us. You deserve better than me and I just think ... or thought I was better off alone."
"You thought this was best for us? I may deserve better, but it's not what I want. I'll give you some advice, next time you date a girl, don't promise her forever unless you mean it!"
He looked down at the ground at that moment and his voice turned shaky, "Yes, you're right. And I should have thought harder on my decision." He looked up at me with a glimmer of hope in his eye.
"What are you saying?"
"I made a mistake in leaving you. And I know I hurt you bad. I'm not worthy of it but I ask you to forgive me and...if possible...take me back?"
My heart skipped a beat, was he really saying what I think I heard? I started to cry, he walked up and stood mere inches away from me. And before I knew it, he was on his knees and grasping my hands. I shuddered at his touch, I hadn't felt his touch in so long.
"Please, will you forgive me for my stupidity? Will you take me back, let me show you how sorry I am?"
"Oh my God, I can't believe this. My mind is telling me to just say no, make you hurt," He winced at this and I couldn't bare to hurt him with the actual action of it, "but my heart is telling me to say yes. And so I'll listen to my heart, it's been leading me to you everyday since you left. I've never been able to forget you, I love you too much."
He smiled then, he stood up and hugged me tight. "I've missed you so much. You won't regret this."
We smiled to each other, I grabbed his hand and we sat on my doorstep together, watching the stars. He didn't promise me forever, he promised me love.
© Copyright 2006 Rose (briar_rose at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1140277-Sitting-on-my-Doorstep