*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1138989-Beautiful-Summer
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Young Adult · #1138989
A funny and romantic book for teens about a boy who is stuck in a love triangle.
Beautiful Summer

Chapter 1
Friday morning. Jamie awoke to the sound of alarm bells. He turned over in his bed and looked at the clock. 7 Am. He switched the OFF button and rolled over only to be woken up again five minutes later by his mother. “Hurry up pumpkin, last day of school, don’t wanna be late!” Jamie rolled his eyes and sat up in bed. How embarrassing that his mum still called him pumpkin. He was fifteen now, not three. He waited until his mum went out of the room until he climbed out of bed (only so that she wouldn’t give him “ooooh my little angel is growing up” talk, which she always did when she saw, what she calls his “fluffy legs”.) Jamie groaned and threw on some shorts so that he wasn’t walking around the house nude, and strolled out of the bedroom, smiling, realising that it was the last day of term. He walked downstairs into the kitchen to find his mum making breakfast, his father, his head buried into this mornings newspaper, his younger sister Laura and his older brother Ricky both eating their breakfast. His dad immediately put down his newspaper and sat up. “Morning Skipper” his dad said. “Morning” Jamie replied through a yawn. He turned to his mum as she asked “What would you like for breakfast pumpkin?” Laura giggled quietly but Jamie still heard her. He turned to his mother, embarrassed. “Can I have some toast please?” he said and he walked off and sat down at the table. His mother immediately started making it for him. Ricky looked up from his bowl of Frosties. “So then, last day of school, what kind of trouble you gonna cause today then?” Jamie just laughed and shrugged. Ricky continued to eat his breakfast. Jamie’s mother came over with a plate of toast for Jamie, followed by a jar of strawberry jam, raspberry jam and marmite. “Thanks mum” he said, and started to open the strawberry jam and spread it over his toast. Laura finished her breakfast, then Ricky and they both got up and went to get ready for school and college. Dad had gone to work (after an embarrassing ‘snog’ session as Laura called it, with mum.) After Jamie had finished he ran upstairs to get ready for school.

“HURRY UP JAMIE!”
“Be down in a minute!” Jamie lied. His mother had been shouting his for the last ten minutes. He was busy in the bathroom making himself look good for the last day of term. He had almost finished, he just needed to do hair now. He had a look in the mirror and had a think of what he should have his hair like today before opening the cupboard and reaching for the tub of gel. He opened the tub and scooped out some on his fingers and rubbed it all over his hands. He then expertly messed up his hair, twisting and scrunching it until it stood up on end and looked styled. He washed his hands and and put away the tub of gel, before jogging into his room to get his school bag and his blazer. He ran out before remembering that he also needed to smell nice, so he ran back in and searched for his aftershave. He found a cheap bottle under his bed that his Auntie and Uncle had bought him for Christmas and sprayed it all over himself. He couldn’t be bothered putting it away so he threw the bottle onto his bed and ran downstairs ready for the last day.

Chapter 2
“Late again” said Miss. Adalberry when Jamie walked into the classroom. “Sorry Miss” he apologised. She gave him her well known evil stare. “Yes yes, sit down” she said. Jamie walked over to his seat in the classroom, next to his best mate Becky. She turned round to face him, whipping him with her long blonde hair as she did. “Extensions?” he asked, through a mouth full of hair. “Yeah, you like?” she smiled. “Yup” he replied. He scrambled through his bag and got out his English book, along with his pencil case. That English lesson was a blur as the bell went half an hour later. “Gosh, was I that late” he asked Becky on the way to Maths. “Yeah. I was sat by myself and looked like a right loser for half the lesson. Miss. Adalberry was going to make me sit with Four-eyed Freddie for this pairing game if you took any longer.” Jamie just laughed. He said “goodbye” to Becky as she went off to Art and he walked alone to Maths. As he was alone he decided to have a think about what plans he could make over the summer. He really couldn’t wait until it was here. He hated school, well who doesn’t? But his school was the worst. He went to a local school called St. Martinas School for Girls and Boys. They had do wear a uniform as well, which Jamie hated even more. The uniform wasn’t black and white like a normal uniform, oh no. Mr. Jackson- Doors, the stupid head teacher, thought “Oh, let’s embarrass the children and make them wear purple uniforms shall we?” So they did. Purple uniforms! Jamie groaned as he reached the door to his Maths room. He thought about turning around, but didn’t want to get into trouble on his last day and decided to stay. He didn’t particularly hate Maths, it was just the ruddy teacher his class had. Mr. Rayners. The worst teacher in the school. Jamie opened the door and stepped into the room. The room smelt of coffee mixed with sweat as usual, but Mr. Rayners had sprayed something that smelt like lavender to get of it, probably to impress Carly (the helper.) Ew, gross! The lavender smell just made the room stuffy and choked Jamie, so he opened the window next to his table. The lesson seemed to go on forever. Mr. Rayners didn’t believe in fun and made everyone practise Trigonometry instead of letting them watch a DVD like the other teachers. After a gruelling hour, the bell rang and the class got up and left. It was break-time now, so Jamie enthusiastically walked to his form room.

“Heya Jamie” shouted a few people from his form and he came in through the door. Jamie looked around. “YES” Jamie cheered to himself as he realised there was no teacher in their with them. Jamie’s form (10C) was lucky. They had one of the best from rooms in the school, it was secluded from all the others so they could get up to no good, well, only if there wasn’t a teacher in there with them. They only had that form room though as Mr. Cardiff, their form tutor, complained that their old form room smelt of rats piss (obviously, they weren’t his choice of words) and they got moved to one of the new rooms at the back of the school, which were for built for Drama so they were pretty big. Unfortunately, it was a trek to get there and they wasted at least half of break just getting there. “Hey” Jamie replied to his mates. He walked over the fire exit in the corner of the room. There was a group of his friends stood there and he decided to join them. His form wasn’t allowed to open the fire door, only in emergencies, and in the words of Tiffany Wallows “when I need a fag, then it’s an emergency.” And of course, she was stood outside, smoking, with her small clan including Sam, Jo, Raye, Simone and Jen. Tiff (is what she made everyone call her), was the ‘leader’ of her clan. She was the tallest and she had long brown hair that was curled. Her face was orange as she piled on endless supplied of foundation throughout the day and she had the whitest, straightest teeth anybody had ever seen. She was wearing a very short skirt, that she was popular for having round her ankles for most of the year, and it was extra tight today for some reason. Not like Jamie looked or anything. She butted out her fag as soon as Jamie came out and gave him a huge hug. “HIYA darling” she said. His mum and hers were best mates in high school and they had known each other all their lives. Jamie returned the hug only to be given the evils by Danny, her boyfriend, supposedly the toughest lad in school (who can’t even ‘get his up’ according to Sam Josephs.) Jamie laughed as he thought about the time Sam had told him this and Danny just made the evils worse. Tiff pulled away and walked back to Danny, who immediately put his arm round her. She turned to him and smiled and they gave each other this massive snog that seemed to go on forever. Jamie gave him the evils. After everyone had finished their fags and butted them out, they all made their way back in to the form room and crowded round on one of the desks. But as soon as they did this, the bell went for third period, and everybody, after about five minutes, groaned and trudged over to their next lesson, except for Jamie as his was Drama and he had it in his form room.

After that was Science with Mr. George aka Doctor Phil as everyone called him, lunch and then a big summer assembly which they had at the end of every year. At the last bell, there were a lot of tearful goodbyes and “I’ll see you sometime in the summer” and “we gotta make plans” talks before they all left the form room to go home. Jamie grinned as he left as he remembered that he was off to Spain for 3 weeks next week, but groaned at the fact that he had to go with his family. Oh well. Jamie caught the bus home with a tearful Becky (as her boyfriend Steve was off to America for the whole summer to visit family) and he comforted her for the whole bus ride home. They exchanged a hug when they got off the bus and walked home together to the start of what would be a beautiful summer.

Chapter 3
One week later, Jamie was up in his bedroom packing his toiletries bag for the dreading holiday he was about to embark on. Suddenly, his mobile rang and he turned around to pick it up. “Hiya, its Becky” the voice said at the other end. “What’s she doing phoning at this time of the morning, its only 5am” he thought. “Hey” he replied.
“Sorry I’m phoning so early, it’s just we haven’t said goodbye.”
“It’s OK don’t worry. I’m just packing the rest of my stuff”
“Like what?”
“Gel, toothbrush, razor. The requirements.”
“Trust you”
Jamie laughed.
“So, I hope you have a great time on holiday” she said.
“Thanks”
“Where you off to again?”
“Blimey, what a great friend,” he laughed “I’m off to Spain.”
“Oh! Tiff is going to Spain as well today”
“God knows how Becky found out about that, Tiff hates her, probably a rumour” Jamie thought to himself. “Yeah she mentioned it. But I don’t think she’s going the same place as us” he said.
“Yeah.”
“Well anyway. I better pack before mum has a fit.”
“Yeah. Have a good time then mate.”
“Yup will try. Seeya later!”
“Have fun.”
“Bye.”
Jamie put the phone down and returned to his packing. God knows what he would do if he forgot his hair gel. He would die! One time at school he was suspended for a couple of days because he got into a fight with a lad for messing up his hair. The lad called him gay and messed up his hair and Jamie went mad and punched him. Can you imagine what his mum said? She went even madder than Jamie had done. To teach him a lesson, she got Ricky to shave his hair off in the middle of the night because she knew he was a heavy sleeper. He went mad the next morning and promised to move out, he only stayed at his auntie’s house across the street for two days before he came back because he ran out of gel. That was when Jamie was twelve though and he had matured since then. His hair had grown back now of course.

Three hours later, Jamie and his family were just pulling up to the airport in the taxi. How they had all fit in with the suitcases he didn’t know but they had done it. One bye one, they all sleepily clambered out of the taxi, and the driver opened up the boot so that they could get their suitcases out. Dad paid the driver (£47.78 he exclaimed when they got into the airport) and they all lugged their suitcases through the airport to the check in desk thing (as dad called it.) They had an hour before they had to be at the terminal so Mum and Dad had taken Laura to ‘Winkie’s Play Barn’ whilst they chatted over coffee. Ricky and Jamie decided to browse the airport and ‘hunt for fit ladies’ (Ricky’s words, not his.) They decided to hit the music shop first and buy a couple of CD’s for their music players and then they headed for WHSmith for some magazines. Whilst Ricky was browsing in the ‘Not for under 18’s’ section, Jamie decided to go and get a drink from the café’ across from the shop. He told Ricky where he was off and, he went. He was about to enter ‘Café’ Aria’ when was surprised by a loud bang throughout the airport. He quickly turned around to see where the noise had come from. It had been two luggage trolleys crashing into each other which were now lay on the floor along with the suitcase that were on them and a young girl and an older man, whom the luggage must have belonged to. The old man was helped up by a woman, which looked like his wife whilst a younger man picked up the luggage. “WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING!” shouted the man to the girl.
“Calm down Dave” his wife told him. The man huffed and pushed the trolley away followed by his wife and the younger man. By this point, the girl had picked up her luggage and put it carefully back on the trolley. She looked around, embarrassed. Jamie couldn’t see her enough to point out any specific features, but he could tell she was hot. She was wearing tight jeans and a white top that was clinging to her boobs. Her hair was long, brown and straightened and she had a gleaming smile. She kind of reminded him of Tiff. He laughed to himself. The girl then pushed her trolley away, giving Jamie (and any other boys who where looking) a clear view of her rear end. Jamie suddenly realised her was staring and looked away (after wiping the drool away from his mouth) and carried on walking into the shop.

Later that day, Jamie and his family were stepping off the plane into bliss. Spain was gorgeous. The sky was blue, not a cloud in sight, the sun was beaming down on them all and it was boiling hot, completely different from England. Jamie reached into his bag and digged for his sun glasses. He also took out a mint in case he bumped into any sexy Spanish ladies. Everybody was checked in and collected their luggage and an hour later were on a bus on the way to their hotel. Jamie had no idea what surprises where about to be unveiled…..

Chapter 4
“Sorry, we do not have you booked in to this hotel sir” said the hotel manager behind the reception desk. Jamie and his family had arrived at the hotel, only to be told that they hadn’t booked this hotel and there were no spare rooms for them to stay in either. Dad went red in the face. “I PHONED THIS BLOODY HOTEL LAST WEEK AND CONFIRMED THE BOOKING! HOW CAN YOU NOT BOOK US IN?” “Calm down dear” said mum, pulling him away.
“Well, I am going to see what I can do. You can all leave your luggage behind the reception desk and go and tour the area whilst I phone around, please?” said the manager again, which we had learned now that his name was Mr. Rodriguez. They all did as they were told and left their luggage behind the reception desk and decided to go for a walk around the beach.
“How the bloody hell can you do this?” Dad asked very aggressively.
“God knows” replied mum.
“But Mr. Rodriguez said he was going to do something about it” Ricky told them.
“And their not just going to leave out on the street are they?” Jamie finished off.
“Mummy, I’m hungry” Laura butted in.
“Let’s all go for something to eat and calm down then shall we?” Mum said, actually meaning “Let’s all go for something to eat whilst dad calms down.”

They arrived at a cheap looking outside café’ twenty minutes later, after getting lost down one of the main streets at the front. It was called Bar-Barian. It was quite small and situated between another café’ (which they decided not to go in as Ricky pointed out their was a live rat under the table), and another hotel. They grabbed a table and looked at the menu. One half was in Spanish and the other in English (Laura thought it was all in Spanish until she turned it the right way round.) They all ordered some type of baguette and non-alcoholic cocktails and a blackcurrant for Laura. They were served by a cheesy looking waiter dressed up as a pirate. Laura thought he looked amazing but the rest of them just laughed at him at him. Embarrassed, he served us and quickly walked away. Dad paid the waiter, and didn’t give him a tip, before they left and made their way back to the hotel.

They arrived at the hotel and were greeted at the reception desk by Mr. Rodriguez and a young looking lady who was dressed in a blue suit. She had short blonde hair and a huge cheesy grin on her face like she was being forced to smile. They were introduced to her and found out her name was Serina. Mr. Rodriguez turned to them smiling, resembling the same smile worn by Serina.
“I’m glad to tell you all that we have found you a place to stay” he told them.
“Oh thank you so much” mum exclaimed.
“Yes but, as we messed up your holiday arrangements, me and Serina have come to an agreement” he continued.
“Go on” dad said, intrigued.
“Well, Serina owes me one after this happened to her once,” she looked at them, nodding, embarrassed, “So she has booked you some rooms in the hotel that she works in, for exactly the same price as we were going to charge you.”
“That’s wonderful” Mum said, giving everybody the look which means “Yeees it’s wonderful isn’t it”, so they all agreed.
“Well, there is a mini bus that should be arriving outside any minute now. If you take your suitcases now and wait outside for it then just get on and Serine will accompany you to your new hotel” Mr. Rodriguez exclaimed.
They all followed Serine out and were met by a small, white mini bus. Mr. Rodriguez came out puffing after he offered to carry out their luggage for them. They all clambered onto the bus and the driver put their luggage in the back. As he came back on, Jamie got a clear view of him. He was old and fat and was turning grey. He was wearing green shorts with the words ‘Hawaii’ written on them, a blue shirt which was opened revealing a sweaty and what used to be white vest and brown sandals, which shown his toenails and they hadn’t looked like they had been cut for years. Jamie suddenly felt sick. He sat down in the driver’s seat and Serine explained where they were off to in Spanish. They couldn’t understand what she was saying but they caught what hotel they were going to.
“Hotel Locosa” mum said under her breath.
“Pardon?” dad asked.
“Hotel Locosa. I’m sure I’ve heard that before” she said, looking confused.
“Hmmmm sure you have hunny” dad said to her.
They all laughed as they drove off, waving to Mr. Rodriguez as they went.

© Copyright 2006 Fabuloso-Chip (fabuloso-chip at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1138989-Beautiful-Summer