*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1126354-On-Incest
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Young Adult · #1126354
Just a rant on the intolerance of incestuous relationships.
On Incest

By: Lady Lolita

Who says incest is wrong? Just because it’s generally decided upon that it’s disgusting or that it’s fruitless because the babies usually turn out having some sort of disability or deformation?

Like gay marriage, incestuous marriages are illegal. Unless, of course, you’re talking about some sort of distant cousin or your second cousin. Why is this so? I think that it’s basically for the same reason that gay marriage is illegal. People don’t understand it and what they don’t understand they don’t like. They despise, in fact.

What happens if two people, perhaps even brother and sister, decide to have sex? Well, of course, if they don’t use protection they are risking having a baby. Even if they use protection they are risking that the protection could fail to work the way it was designed to work and they could still end up with a baby. Some babies born of incest aren’t deformed or handicapped in any way. But, the majority that we hear about seem to be.

Well, whether or not that’s true should not weigh on the minds of others. It’s just like the touchy abortion topic, but my own personal opinion is…if they want to be together then let them. It’s their right as free, equal citizens to choose whomever they want to be with. I think that this should be extended to people of the same sex and people of the same family.

I myself have never felt the need to “commit” incest. But, to say that someone is committing incest, is like saying that they’re committing murder. The two are nowhere near the same. And yet…a lot of people tend to think that incest is more disgusting than murder.

If incest were just merely disgusting then who cares? So what? A lot of people think that homosexuality is disgusting, but it’s legal to be homosexual in all states, I’m quite sure. It just isn’t legal for them to marry. Yet, in certain states, it’s ILLEGAL for someone to have sex with their brother or sister.

Now, I’m going to get into an even touchier situation. What if it were a mother and son? Or a father and daughter? Still, I think it’s their decision so long as the son or daughter is of age. I’m not saying that it’s okay for parents to molest their children and turn around and say that it was consensual.

However, if both parties are of consenting age, then why does someone have a problem with it? I say, it’s simply because they don’t understand. Anything else, in my opinion, is just a cover-up for the fact that they don’t understand it and therefore that makes it gross.

Now, on the topic of the possible children born to the incestuous couple. Well, yes, there is a very large possibility that the child could be handicapped or deformed in some way. It’s the same with women over the age of forty who are NOT in an incestuous relationship. Does that mean that women over forty shouldn’t have children? Of course not! Those women that have children after they’re forty and the child is handicapped or deformed in some way are even sometimes hailed as heroes for the fact that they went against the grain and that they are willing and capable of taking care of a handicapped child.

Why, then, are incestuous mothers hailed as villainous, disgusting whores? Because, people just don’t understand! But, what right do other people have to judge? It’s no one else’s business but those involved. It shouldn’t be a governmental issue. It shouldn’t be a religious issue. Church and state are separate now. People will soon have to learn to accept that and know that even the people next door could be “committing” incest, whether or not it’s legal. Just because it’s illegal doesn’t mean that someone is going to stop.
© Copyright 2006 Lady Lolita (ladylolita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1126354-On-Incest