*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1116026-Tough-Life
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1116026
Written for Daily Flash Fiction 6/7/2006.
Word Count: 297

Tough Life


What will today bring? Sam wondered as he shook his wife awake. Sara blinked her beautiful blue eyes at him, yawned, and stretched in the cramped confines of the car’s backseat.

Sam smiled, thankful as always that she was with him. She could have gone back to Louisiana to live with her folks, but her parents both hated Sam. With good reason, he thought, his grin turning rueful. There was no place for him in Louisiana, so Sara had stayed in Minnesota to be with him.

“What are you grinning about?” Sara asked.

“Nothing,” Sam replied, helping her out of the car. It was a rusty automobile, but it still ran, when Sam could afford gas. “Ready for another day, honey?”

Sara sighed. “Another long day of job hunting?”

“I know it’s hard right now, Sara, but someone will hire me. We’ll get back on our feet. I promise.”

Sara’s smile lit up her amazing eyes and dimpled her cheeks, which always drove Sam crazy. He kissed one dimple.

“Let’s get some breakfast first, though, Sam, okay?” Sara asked. She rubbed her still flat stomach. “Got to feed the baby.”

For a moment, a frown of worry appeared on Sam’s brow, but then it eased. He would have a job by the time the baby was born and hopefully an apartment for their little family. That was his goal.

Sam took a quick count of the cash in his pocket. “It’s gonna have to be MickeyD’s again, baby.” And only enough for Sara, he added to himself. Oh well. It wasn’t the first time he had gone hungry.

Sara nodded and Sam kissed her again. He loved this woman. She never complained, no matter how hard it got.

“I love you now and forever, Sam.”
© Copyright 2006 Destinae (destinae at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1116026-Tough-Life