*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1114573-Kingdom-of-Raine-Chapter-One
by Artist
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1114573
A blue-eyed race of warriors struggle to keep their power in a rebellious land.
Chapter 1

Winter was finally losing its death-grip on the waking forest. The cold air, damp with the essence of life, permeated everything. Thin blades of grass crept up through the dead earth. Leaflets were forming on the wet branches. Soft orbs of snow swayed in the rhythmic wind. It was winter’s final breath of desperation.
Seven horsemen rode through the forest in single file. They all were of one race that originating in the far north. Pale faces and thick black hair gave them a mystical appearance. Each had a tall build with square shoulders. The most eccentric feature they possessed was the bright blue color of their eyes. It was their mark of nobility, for in their minds, they were the most regal race of them all.
The captain rode at their head, wearing thick black furs. His eyes scanned the path before them. It had been a good road once, but the weathering of ages takes a toll on all things. Broken cobblestones were scattered incoherently. Vegetation had begun to erase this remnant of the old nation.
“Viesen,” a voice called from behind. Xander heeled his horse, and it galloped up alongside the captain. Viesen slowly shifted his attention to his old friend. Xander’s shorter horse made him seem like less of man than he really is.
He took a breath, then spoke. “What is it, Xander?” Bright eyes stared back at him. A prolonged silence hung between them.
“I think we’re due for a rest, captain.” His voice faltered betraying his confident face. "We haven’t stopped for days,” he pleaded.
“Yes, yes. I know,” replied Viesen. He remained silent for a few moments sorting through the thoughts in his mind. “We will stop as soon as we reach water. The map shows a stream near the end of this road.” Satisfied, Xander addressed another issue.
© Copyright 2006 Artist (heliocentric at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1114573-Kingdom-of-Raine-Chapter-One