*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1112129-Chasing-Her-DreamsChapter-2
by Bree
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1112129
Introduces Holden Thomas follow-up from Chapter 1.
Standing on the porch of his Georgia mansion, Holden Thomas looked out over the many acres of his plantation. The 200 acres had been in his family since his great grandfather had bought the land. The two story house, which sat at the top of the hill, was built soon after the purchase of the property.

The estate was beautiful with its pecan orchard in the back yard that went on for what seemed like forever. During the summer the land looked like it had been cover with snow due to the cotton fields. There was also a beautiful pond that sat just east to the mansion.

Holden, now twenty years of age, was easy on the eyes. With his dark brown hair, sun-kissed complexion, and the bluest eyes in the entire south what young southern belle would not swoon over this man?

As a gentle breeze blew by, Holden thought back to his childhood. Like any child rose in the south, Holden spent his summers in bare feet. Oh the countless hours he had spent running around pretending he was a cowboy looking for an Indian camp to overcome with his fleet of men. During the cold winter he would sit lazily by the fire drinking hot coco reading a book.

At the tender age of ten years old fate took hold of his life. He was ripped from his childhood to take on the life of a man by a life altering experience.

One day while Levi Thomas, his father, was out checking his field to see that all was going smoothly, his horse was spooked by some leaves blowing underfoot. The scared animal reared up on its hide legs and sent his father to the hard ground below. When his horse returned to the house without its rider total alarm was sent through the estate. Some servants were sent to look for Levi but when he was found it was too late. When Levi was dumped on the hard dirt he took a blow to his head by a sharp rock. The hit he took had been fatal and Levi was killed instantly. Since that day, young Holden had to assume his father’s responsibilities as the runner of the great plantation.

The thunder and lightening was what brought Holden out of his remembrance of his father. He had noticed the dark clouds and the smell of rain had settled on the earth late that evening. Now the rain was finally pouring down as if God himself was pouring out a bucket.

As he turned toward the door he thought that maybe tonight would be the night when he would tell his mother of his plans of heading north into Tennessee. Some might say that Holden’s wishes were cause by how young he was when he assumed the duties of running a plantation and because of that he was running away from troubles. Others might say he was just bored.

That was half true. Holden did want some adventure in his that the life he was leading now could never amount to. On the other hand, he could always picture himself residing in a little log cabin in the mountains by a small river in the midst of the woods. When he thought of the mountains he had heard so much about he felt as if they were drawing him to them, calling to him.

He knew that when he told his mother of any such notions she would be devastated, worrying about the fact of him leaving with out any plans of returning. Who to say that if, not if but when, he embarked to the Smoky Mountains the he would spend the rest of his days on earth there.

His mother would also worry about who would take his place. Nevertheless Holden did have a younger sibling, Jacob, who was four years behind Holden. Jacob was now to the point in his life where he was capable to step up to the plate to be director of the facility.

He had convinced himself that everything would be fine. Jacob could run things just a smoothly as he could and nobody would ever miss him. Now the real chore remained, convincing everyone else.

He entered in the foyer of the home where he seen a glowing coming from the study. As he went to see what caused the glow, he remember the chill that had settled over the great house and suspected that Jacob and his mother had called for a servant to build a fire.

His entrance was noted both by his mother and brother. Elizabeth moved to embrace her son. Being the first time he had laid eyes on him all day, she knew her son was kept busy all day by challenges arising during the day. He was kept so busy that it was a rarity of him getting to dine with her and her younger son.
As Holden took his dear mother in his arms, Jacob moved to stand closer to his brother.

“Bad storm out there don’t you think bro,” he asked of Holden.

“Yep, that thunder and lightening is enough to scare the bravest of men. I would hate to be caught out in it,” Holder replied to his brother, his southern drawl that was breed into him strongly apparent. “But enough about the storm, I have something of great importance to share with ya’ll.”

As the trio moved closer to the warm fire, Elizabeth couldn’t help but wonder what was on he son’s mind. She wondered if maybe how was about to tell them of a southern belle that had stole his heart away the moment he laid his eyes on her. She never would have guess how off she was or the surprise he son had waiting for her.

“Mother, Jacob, what I am about to tell you will be astound the both of you. Keep in mind that I have thought about this long and hard. You see I’ve always thought living in the mountains was the life for me. I think now would be the appropriate time for me to find out.”

Holden stopped and looked to see what their expressions could tell him. Both were aghast.

“Who will run the place if you are not around to see to things? Have you thought about that?” Jacob asked his brother needing to know the answers.

“Yes, I have thought of all of that brother. You are at the age now where you can assume the responsibilities of this. You are much older that what I was when I stepped into the man’s shoes. I can teach you in a few short weeks the knowledge it took me ten years to acquire.” Holden said answering his brother’s curious questions. He knew and was prepare for any questions his mother and brother might have.

Jacob was satisfied with his brother’s answer. He knew he could see to the estate in Holden’s absence if was trained correctly by his brother. In his heart taking over the plantation had been a secret dream he had always wanted to fulfill.

Holden now looked to Elizabeth. Her silence bothered him. He wished at that very moment he could read her thoughts and give her the peace she needed to know that this was something he wanted dearly and he would not be harmed by chasing after it.

“You have my blessing, Holden.” She finally spoke looking up at her son.

Elizabeth knew her son would not ask for her blessing on such things if really didn’t want it and had given great thought to the welfare of the plantation. How could she know give him her blessing of approval know this. But in the nature of a mother she wanted to forbid him of such things. Holden was her oldest son and she wanted nothing more than to see him happy.

“I’m glad you both listened and understood how I felt about this. I will not be leaving anytime soon because I have Jacob’s training and things I have to prepare before leaving. Although I will assure you that in my business I will find the time to spend with the both of you. I will be seeing you as much as possible.” Holden said as happiness filled his heart.

“Son, when you get there you will surly come to visit often correct?”Elizabeth asked at the thought of Holden never coming back.

Amused by his mother’s question Holden let a laugh escape him.

“Of course, do you honestly think I would forsaken everything I’ve ever know? I will come as often as I am needed and to check on things. If the day ever comes I have to return for good, whatever the reason, I will not hesitate on doing so.”

Holden’s words had been a relief to both his mother and brother. Elizabeth spirits soared to hear her son was not planning on running away for her, his brother, and everything he had ever known. When she realized what her assumptions of her son’s plan had been a feeling of sudden sadness came over her. How could she accuse Holden of that? Her son was somewhat strong willed but then time had made him that way. He was not the kind to run away from his problems just because he felt they were getting the best of him. No, Holden was not like that. She had not raised him to be.

Jacob, at hearing his brother’s words, was comforted. When he was told that he would be trained to take on the job as supervisor of the plantation he was worried even though Holden would be training him. What he made a wrong decision about the prosperity of the acreage. One wrong choice and everything would fall apart. He felt beside himself and relieved to have Holden to fall back on to fix his mistakes.

“That does not mean that every little boo-boo you make you call on me to come see to and fix it for you Jacob.” Holden pointed out as if reading Jacob’s mind.
“I had to learn by trail and error, having no on come fix my failures as the head of this establishment and I expect the same out of you,” he continued.

“Oh come on you two and sit by the warm fire,” Elizabeth interrupted the two men. “Holden sit by me for a while. I want to acquire all the time I can with you while you are here.”

The three spent another hour together when Holden decided it was time for him to retire for the night.

“Well, I think I’m about to hit the hay. Jacob, you see to doing the same. I plan on being up early to make sure things get off on the right foot. Your training starts tomorrow, so you better get a good nights rest.”

Holden walked over to his mother, leaned down, giving her a kiss on the forehead.
“Goodnight my son. Will I see you at dinner tomorrow night?” Elizabeth asked Holden as he turned to walk toward the door.

“Goodnight mother. May you sleep with angels. You can count my seat at the table tomorrow for I will be accompanying you at dinner. Promise,” he replied to his mother’s question just before walking out the door.

As Holden entered his chambers he could not believe how smoothly tonight had gone. He had played tonight over and over again in his mind and the rebellion coming for his mother and sibling was not what had taken place.

As he undressed, a slight smile settled on his lips. His head was filled with nothing but Tennessee.

He could not believe that after Jacob got a little experience under his belt and he had everything he needed his dreams of cabins in the woods beside a little river deep in the mountains was soon to become a reality.
© Copyright 2006 Bree (dreamcather at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1112129-Chasing-Her-DreamsChapter-2