*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1092385-Jennas-NightDream
Rated: E · Chapter · Drama · #1092385
Woman loses her mother and gains a nightmare
Chapter One

“Dragons, fairies, queens, kings, and knights its all crap. Just a bunch of old stories and tales that never happened. My mothers used to put me to bed reading me those stories.” Jenna snarled.
“So you hate them because you hate her? That’s not very fair to the stories or to your mother, Jenna.” Elizabeth commented carefully re-shelving the shipment of fantasy novels.
“I hate the stories because they aren’t real, I hate her because … well there are to many reasons to count.” Jenna dropped into one of the leather chairs in the reading corner of the fantasy section.
“Jenna you need to get over this thing with your mother. She was good to you. You never wanted for anything when you were growing up.”
“Her figurines were always more important than me or my sister.”
“Is that why you walked away when you were sixteen? Because you didn’t think you measured up?” Elizabeth asked continuing to stock her favorite section of the bookstore.
“I couldn’t stand it.” Jenna told her, “She made sure that those fantasy things were always taken care of that’s more than I can say about me or my sister.”
The overhead sound system crackled to life, “Jenna La’Masters you have a telephone call, line two.”
Jenna stood up slowly, “Be back in a minute.” She headed over to the service desk. Taking a deep breath she picked up the phone. “Jenna La’Masters, how can I help you?”
It took a moment for the voice on the other end of the line. “Jenna…” the single word nearly broke Jenna’s heart.
“Kelly?” Jenna asked wondering what her sister wanted. She waited as Kelly tried to compose herself.
“What time do you get off work?” Jenna could hear the tears in her sister’s voice.
“Six-thirty, why?” she asked, her eyes wandering over the bookstore that was rapidly taking over her life.
“I need you to meet me at Lee, Michaels and Jefferson.” Kelly told her.
“Mother’s lawyer, why?” she was starting to think something was very wrong.
“It’s been a hard week. Mother passed away on Monday.”
“Why didn’t you call me sooner. It’s Friday, she’s been gone almost a week.” Jenna snapped her eyes finding Elizabeth among the shelves.
“You haven’t spoken to mother since the day you walked out. I didn’t think you cared.” Kelly answered.
“She was my mother too. I may not have liked the way she lived, but I did still love her. How did she die?”
Kelly took a deep breath, “It was cancer.”
Jenna couldn’t think, “I’ll be at the lawyer’s.” she mumbled. Memories of her mother fighting cancer when she was growing up filled her mind. She hung up the telephone without thinking about it.
Jenna was just standing at he counter staring at the phone when Elizabeth stepped up. “What’s wrong?” she asked, “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”
“What? No it was my sister. She needs me at our mother’s lawyer tonight. Seems my mother finally lost her battle with cancer.” even as she said the words they still didn’t feel real.
Elizabeth reached out and hugged her friend, “I’m sorry. Feel free to take a few days off if you need too. Thomas and I can manage without you for a few days.”
“I don’t need time off, just need to deal with the lawyer. I can do that tonight after work.” Jenna continued, not really thinking about what her mother’s passing on meant.
“Ok, just remember we’re here if you need us.” Elizabeth said stepping away. “What do you think will happen at the lawyer’s tonight?”
“Mother’s estate will be split up and Ms. Kelly will finally get what she wants.” Jenna growled. Her sister had followed in their mother’s footsteps after the death of their father. Jenna knew Kelly would be inheriting most of the estate.
“I wish there was something I could do to help. Do you want me to do with you tonight?” she asked.
“No, I can handle it. I’ll call you when I get home.” Jenna smiled. She picked up her purse and headed toward the book of the bookstore. She walked slowly to her car, feeling numb to her bones. As she reached the driver’s door of the car her control broke. Pain slammed into her chest and she dropped to her knees. “She’s gone… after all these years she’s finally gone.” the words were ripped from her as tears poured down her face.
“Jenna, are you ok?” a masculine voice asked from behind her.
She looked up, “Max, she’s gone.” her head dropped into her hands as the last of her strength faded.
Max knelt down in the street beside her. “What’s wrong? What happened?” he wrapped his arms around her, needing to give comfort as much as he needed it himself at seeing her hurting. He was confused, “Elizabeth, did something happen to Elizabeth?”
Jenna swallowed hard, “No, she’s fine. It’s my mother.” the tears came back in force.
Max was even more confused, as far as he knew she had seen or spoken to her mother in almost fifteen years. “Ok sweetie, how about I help you out of the street and you explain what happened.” he helped her stand up. Together they made their way to a bench on the sidewalk. He sat down beside her.
“Kelly called a few minutes ago.” she swallowed slowly, “My mother passed away last Monday. Kelly needs me at the lawyers tonight.” she dropped her head back into her hands. “I might not have liked her, but she was my mother and I loved her.” the words were ripped from her as her sobs were slowly as Jenna began to regain control of herself.
“Do you want me to take you to the lawyer’s?” Max asked having a feeling she needed him.
“I don’t want you to, but I also know I can’t handle it by myself. Not feeling like this.” she mumbled softly knowing Max had always been there for her. She stood up, turning back to look at him. “Where are you parked? Or do you just want to take my car?”
“We can take your car. What law office do we need?” Max asked as they approached the car.
“Lee, Michaels, and Jefferson. They’re over on 18th Avenue.” she answered opening her car door.
Max climbed into the drivers seat and waited while Jenna climbed in. “Ok, just sit back and relax. We should be there in a few minutes.” He started the car and turned the radio to a classical station.
Max drove carefully to the law office, parking in the underground lot. N”I want to say thanks Max. you are a good friend.” she smiled climbing out of the car and taking a deep breath.
Max climbed out and walked with her to the elevator. “What floor do we need sweetie?” he asked pushing the call button.
“Six, suite six-ten.” the elevator doors swooped open. They walked in and the doors slid shut behind them. She pushed the button for the sixth floor. “I haven’t seen my sister in so long… I don’t know how she’s going to handle seeing me.”
Max smiled, “She called you to let you know what was going on. That should mean something.” he told her.
“I guess, but she waited almost a week. She waited until after they buried her.” she was about to say more as the door opened. They walked slowly down the hallway to the door of the office. Jenna reached out and opened the door. Her heart clenched in her chest as she saw her sister. “Kelly…” the word was torn from her. A moment later Kelly was running into her arms.
Jenna , I missed you.” the two of them hugged. “I’m sorry I waited. You should have been there.” she held onto Jenna with everything in her. “How am I going to handle things?”
Jenna pulled back with a sad smile, “You don’t, we do.” she took her sister’s hand and walked back to the chairs where Kelly had been sitting. “So Mr. Michaels I’m assuming this is about mother’s will.”
The man sitting behind the desk had a sad smile on his face. “Yes, that’s why I asked to have both of you here. This isn’t going to set well with either of you.” he shook his head as he looked down at the file on his desk.
“Why do you say that?” Kelly asked glancing at her sister.
The lawyer looked from sister to sister, “Let me read what your mother wrote and you will both understand.” he answered turning the page in the file. “it’s a very simple will, written in her words and by her hand. My name is Jennifer Ann La’Masters, I am of sound mind and body. This is my last will and testament. I here by leave my estate as follows. I leave the New York townhouse to my daughter Kelly along with the money in her college fund. To my daughter Jenna I leave the prize of my collection, a crystal and sandstone castle, along with the house in Eagletown. The remainder of my estate will be divided equally between the Castle Restoration Association and the Association for Historical Re-enactments. I love both of you girls very much. I pray that you understand what I have done and why.” Mr. Michaels read carefully, he looked at Jenna and then at Kelly, “Are there any questions?”
Kelly looked from the lawyer to her sister, “I don’t have any questions. This comes as no surprise to me.”
Jenna just sat there, “Nothing that woman does surprises me anymore. Are we done here?” her words were angry but she was trying to hold it in check.
Mr. Michaels looked at her knowing she was angry. “Yes, I’ll have the paperwork for the house here in Eagletown ready by the end of the week. I’ll give you a call. Just one more question, do you know what you want o do with the place?”
She stood up, “I think I’ll most likely rent it out once I pack up everything for auction.” she was calming down slowly. Max smiled, he knew this wasn’t going to be easy for her. He took her hand and lead her out of the office.
“Why would she have left you the castle? She had to know how you would react to it.” Max asked as they walked back toward the elevator.
“She wanted you to have the pride of her collection. She was proud of you and what you have done with your life.” the words came from Kelly just as the doors slid open. The three of them stepped into the elevator.
“Just get everything that isn’t mine out of the house before you head back to New York. Leave the damn castle at my place.” Jenna smiled.
The elevator stopped at the first level of the parking garage. Jenna and Max stepped out leaving Kelly to go on down to her car. As the doors closed behind them Max turned to Jenna, “She left you the house you grew up in.”
Jenna kept walking until she reached her car, “And that damn castle. You know out of all her figurines it was the only one she would never let me near.” she opened the passenger door and climbed in. Max climbed into the drivers side.
“Any idea why?”
“Nope. No more than why she would leave me the thing.” she relaxed as Max pulled out of the parking spot. He headed back toward her apartment. They drove the few miles in silence other than the soft music from the radio.
Max smiled as he pulled to a stop in her parking place. “Home safe and sound.” he turned off the engine and handed her the keys.
“Thank you Max. Would you like to come in for awhile?” she asked trying not to tremble.
“sure. I have a few minutes, “ he smiled. They walked up to the door of her apartment. She opened the door and stepped inside. Jenna never slowed down as she headed into the living room. Her feet coming to a dead stop as her eyes landed on the box sitting innocently on the coffee table. Max had followed her in after closing the door. “What’s in the box?” he asked following her gaze.
“I don’t know. Looks like something from my sister.” she smiled with a sadness in her eyes. She reached out picking up the box. Her hands were shaking as she worked open the top of the box. Her breath came in a gasp as she moved the tissue paper to reveal the castle figurine tucked carefully into the box.
“Is something wrong Jenna?” he asked watching the color fade from her face. He grabbed the box moments before it would have fallen from her fingers.
“It’s the castle. I’ve never seen it outside of the showcase mother had it in. Not even when she moved to New York with Kelly.” she dropped to the couch as tears began to fall again. “She’s really gone. What am I going to do?” she couldn’t take her eyes off the box in his hands. She watched as he took the castle out of the box and placed it in her lap.
“It’s beautiful.” he whispered watching her eyes as they filled with a sadness much deeper than just loosing her mother. There was a hint of fear behind that sadness.
“That it always was. I’ve never touched it. I’ve never even seen it without it being behind glass.” she commented reaching out to touch the smoothly polished sandstone. As her skin made contact with the stone she felt a strange calmness settle over her. The light began to fade as she slipped back against the back of the couch. The last thing she heard as Max’s voice in a quiet whisper.
“Trust us. Everything is as it should be."
© Copyright 2006 Eve Silver (evesilver at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1092385-Jennas-NightDream