*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1090096-Poor-Guy
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1090096
This is a story about a family and a town, which will survive the other?
This story IS NOT done, so please patient till the rest comes.
Poor guy, nearly 70 and with two teen girls underfoot, Jonathan Kader was richer than anyone could imagine and he spent all he could on his two granddaughters. Jessica and Amber loved their dear old grandfather greatly, he was one of the only family members they had ever known and they could not stand the fact that he was growing older and sicker as the days passed. The two girls were only a few years apart in age, Jessica being the elder, and anyone who saw them knew exactly which parent they took after. Jessica was her father’s daughter, his dark brown hair and sea green eyes were hers to bear. She also had his sarcasm and wit, the one thing she received from her mother being her motherly attitude. Amber looked like their mother, silky blonde hair and dazzling blue eyes that showed her honest and gentle heart. She had clung to her grandfather and sister ever since her parents had died, she was the baby and she knew it. Jonathan was a strong man, his silver hair and deep blue eyes made him look years younger and he acted more like 50 than 70. Jonathan had not been born into greatness like some, he had worked hard for his money and in the business world it was known that he was tough as nails, but when he got home his eyes softened and his heart melted as his granddaughters came running to greet him. After them would come a parade of maids, butlers, and the girls’ tutor, Mrs. Catere. The old Italian woman was strict but kind, every spring she took the girls to live with her a few weeks in her Italian home.

Outside the house, down the dirt road, past their stables and apples trees, there was a small town. It was like most small towns, quiet and humble, and the people would look up the hill towards the large Victorian farmhouse the Kaders lived in and wonder how they managed to stay so isolated. The girls often would look down at the town and watch the people come and go, but never were they allowed to go to there. Their grandfather feared the people there, he knew what they were like. They seemed kind and wonderful but behind their empty black eyes a secret was held and he knew that secret all to well.

“Grandpa Jonathan’s back! Jessie he’s here!” Amber cried out as she ran towards the kitchen door, swung it open and raced towards the garage. Jonathan got out of his car just in time to sweep Amber into his strong embrace. Jessica stumbled out of the house after her sister and then ran to her grandfather. He hugged his granddaughters and kissed them both. “My darlings, oh, I missed your smiling faces,” he exclaimed. Jessica and Amber both smiled and started to quickly tell him all that had gone on during his three week absence, but just as quickly they ran out of breath. Jonathan chuckled, “Now, now, we’ll have plenty of time to talk about your adventures. First, let’s open presents!” The girls squealed, grabbed a few of their grandfather’s bags, and ran inside to their parlor. Mrs. Catere came down the stairs as Mr. Kader was walking in the door, “Hello Mr. Kader. How was your trip?” “Just fine Mrs. Catere, how were my granddaughters?” Mrs. Catere smiled, “Fine as usual sir.” Kader smiled and motioned towards the parlor where the girls were already sifting through their grandfather’s bags. Amber looked up and her eyes flashed a youthfulness most would pay millions for, “Where are the gifts Grandpa?” “Amber! You don’t ask, wait till he offers,” Jessica exclaimed and then looked pleadingly at her grandfather. Jonathan smiled and handed them a bag that he had carried in, Amber grabbed it and began ruffling through the tissue paper until she found a small box with her name on it and she squealed with joy. Jessica then took the bag and looked for her gift, when she found it she smiled and looked to her grandfather who nodded for her to open it. The two wasted no time to open their gifts and they both found inside a bottle of the finest Parisian perfume. They smiled and hugged their grandfather, who laughed and hugged his granddaughters. “You two hurry and wash up, it’s almost supper,” said Mrs. Catere. The girls sighed and walked out of the parlor and then up the stairs to their rooms. Jonathan smiled and Mrs. Catere chuckled, “They love you sir.” “And I love them, but I grow more and more afraid everyday. They won’t stay here forever, will they?” “’Fraid not sir, specially Jessica. You mustn’t fear the town so, it is safer than before.” Jonathan looked at the elderly woman and shook his head, “No. The town is no place for them. They are too precious for those…those…,” he sighed and shook his head again. “Come sir, Pierre has fixed a wonderful meal,” Mrs. Catere soothed and the two friends walked towards the dining room.

Jonathan chuckled as Amber hurried to fix her French, her cheeks as red as cherries. “Oh dear, my darling Amber, I haven’t laughed so hard since the last time I was with you.” The group chuckled as they finished their evening meal around the family dinner table. Pierre smiled at Amber and ruffled her hair a bit, “Don’t be embarrassed madamoiselle, everyone makes mistakes.” “But not like Amby,” blurted Jessica. Amber looked at her sister’s face, saw the playfulness in her eyes, and started to laugh, “That’s right, no one else can make an Amby.” The girls, their grandfather, Pierre, and Mrs. Catere laughed and were still laughing as Donald, their head butler, came in. “Someone made an Amby I’m guessing.” Jonathan laughed again and smiled at Donald, “That’s our Amby, able to offend people no matter what the language.” Amber smiled and the sisters shared a quick giggle. “Well you two I believe it is time for your music lessons, so go get your instruments and wait in the parlor for Monsieur Villet. Jessica’s face turned bright red as she heard Mrs. Catere’s directions, “Yes Ma’am. Come Amber Da…er Monsieur Villet does not like to be kept waiting.”

The girls got up and went to find their instruments before quickly scrambling to the parlor where an handsome man of about 20 sat with a tiresome look on his face. “Girls come in and tune your instruments,” he said in a heavy Italian accent. Jessica swooned for a moment as the charcoaled color hair of her teacher swept down into his deep black eyes and she caught herself before he noticed the ridiculous grin on her face. “Uh huh,” she murmured and sank down into a chair. Amber chuckled and pulled out her flute and slowly began to tune it, Jessica groaned softly as she began to tune her guitar. “Now I think I’ll work with Amby first, she seems to be the first tuned. Jessica why don’t you work on your chords for awhile? Then try and manage to get through a song without dropping the guitar.” Her cheeks turned bright red as she realized her teacher was serious and she slowly walked to the window seat to play. Down the road a bit she could see a familiar person coming quickly and wildly up the driveway. She squealed loudly and ran out the parlor door…the guitar dropping noisily to the ground.

“Uncle Danny!” Jessica yelled, jumping up and down. The man on the motorcycle looked about 27, and with his short blonde hair that clung carelessly to his head and over his blue eyes so that you couldn’t tell if he was looking at you or not. He wore a dirty, white t-shirt, mud covered blue jeans, and black boots. Daniel Kader was Jonathan’s younger son and the only brother of the girls’ father Robert; the girls had grown up knowing Uncle Danny as the “fun one,” he took them on rides, out for ice cream, and he never missed a birthday or Christmas. When Danny pulled up by the house he had only a moment before he caught Jessica in his arms and nearly tipped over the bike. “Uncle Danny what are you doing here? It’s not a birthday or Christmas or Easter or...,” Danny chuckled and put his hand over his niece’s mouth, “Jessie stop talking so fast, I’m here to see Pops about something…you’ll know soon enough. Now where is my Amby?” “Here,” Amber squealed as she ran out to her uncle, Danny now was hugging both girls and Jonathan was standing at the front door with an agitated look on his face, “Hello Daniel. Come girls, bring him inside.” “Hey Pops! I’m home, aren’t you glad? Course you are,” Daniel said and hugged his dad as he walked in the house, “Mrs. Catere! Ciao!” Mrs. Catere chuckled as Danny hugged her and gently ruffled her hair. “Let’s go I’m hungry…hey Peppie what’s for supper?” Pierre smiled awkwardly as Danny hugged him and continued into the kitchen, the girls chasing after him. As he entered the kitchen Danny began rummaging for food until he heard his father in the other room, “Daniel! I will see you in the parlor now! David please take the girls to the ball room for the rest of their lessons, thank you!” Jonathan marched into the parlor with Danny strolling along after him, once they were both inside Jonathan slammed the door shut. “What right do you have to march in here and hug the girls and act like you never left...like you care?!” “What? Excuse me? I love those girls and just remember old man I am their uncle and have just as much right to see them as you do!” “Love them? Don't give me that! You were always selfish! ‘A right to see them?’ Just because you are their uncle...” “I love them and you know that! If Bobby and Jules hadn’t wanted me around they would have forbid me to see them, they didn’t so I can!” “I am your father how dare you speak that way to me?” “Father? Oh really dad don’t give me that, you don’t even send me cards for the holidays and may I ask when my birthday is?” “January 15.” “Wrong, August 31!” “Well what is mine?” “I’m not here about you though I’m here about Jessie.” “You can’t have her.” “At least listen to what I have to say! I want to take her with me, across country with my band.” “Not that stupid band again, what’s it called Revolution?” “Rebellion dad, REBELLION! Now I am not leaving without Jess unless she tells me she won’t go.” “You are so stubborn!” Jonathan roared. Danny stalked out of the parlor and towards the ballroom, “Jess come here.” Jessica looked up to see her uncle with an impassive look on his face but anger in his eyes, she slowly put down her guitar and walked over to him but just as she was about to hug him her grandfather stormed into the room. “Hands off Daniel! Jessica go practice!” “But Grandpa...” “Jessica Anne Kader go practice now! Daniel you come with me.” Danny had heard enough, “No Dad and don’t you dare take your anger with me out on Jessie. Now she is coming with me for coffee and we’ll be back by eight.” Danny grabbed Jessica’s hand before anyone else could say a word and the two walked out to the motorcycle, Jonathan yelling the entire time. Amber looked out the window as her sister and uncle rode off and tears began streaming down her face. David took her in his arms and hugged her gently, “Hush now, it’s okay. Jessica will be back and so will Daniel.” “Why didn’t he take us both?” “Jessica is older, come now we need to practice.” The two sat back down and continued practicing but Amber’s sniffles could be heard throughout the entire house.

As Danny and Jessie sped towards the local café Jessica’s eyes bulged as she saw the town for the first time since she had moved to the manor. “Uncle Danny where is this coffee shop?” “Just a little bit further.” The two pulled into a parking lot next to an old red convertible and shuffled inside. Jessica gasped when she saw how many people actually lived in the small town, “Oh wow! Look at all these people!” Her mouth dropped open and Danny chuckled and put his hand over her mouth, “Close your mouth Jess and don’t stare.” They took a seat at a back table and ordered two cups of coffee. “Jess look at me,” Danny said gently, “we need to talk.” Jessica looked up at her uncle, “Sure Uncle Danny…what’s wrong? Why are they staring at me? Uncle Danny these people are a little strange...” Danny cut her off and shushed her, “Quiet, don’t let them hear you talk that way! You know what I think we need to go,” he looked around and noticed the others staring at them and grabbed her hand and ran out of the café. As they neared the motorcycle Jessica pulled her uncle to a hesitant stop. “Jessie what is it?” “What is wrong with those people? Why did you freak out and why won’t Grandpa let us come here?” “Jess...” “Tell me!” “Okay! Okay...they uh...let’s go home.” “Uncle Dan...” Danny pulled Jessica onto the motorcycle and sped off towards Kader Manor.

When the two arrived Jonathan came running out and pulled Jessica into his arms, “My darling child, oh my darling child.” Jessica pulled back slightly, “Tell me.” The men exchanged glances and then Jonathan motioned towards the house.

When the three got inside Jonathan called Amber to the entry way and the four of them stood in a circle. The girls stared intently at their grandfather and uncle and then Jonathan began, “Those people are different...they are very different. Because of their difference they are . . . well dangerous.” “Cut to the chase dad, they aren’t two! The people there are monsters.” Jessica laughed, "Monsters? Come on you guys! What are they vampires? Zombies? Oh, oh, maybe they are ALIENS!" The girls laughed until they realized that the men were serious and then Amber gasped, “How can that be?” Jonathan took a deep breath, “I don’t know, they just are, it’s the way it is.” "But what are they?" Jessica asked, a hint of fear creeping into her voice. Danny looked from Jessica to Amber and then back again, "Uh, well, they are um....cannibals." Amber took a deep breath and screamed. Jonathan winced and then pulled her into his arms, “Amby hush!” She continued to scream and Jonathan moved his hand over her mouth. Jessica ran to her room, Danny right behind her.

Danny caught up to Jessica in seconds, but followed her to her room. When they got there they sat down on her bed and she curled up in his arms, “Why? Why do you always lie to us? You’ve got Amber thinking they are really cannibals and she’ll never sleep tonight!” “Jessie girl you have to believe me, they really are! That’s why you can’t go there. I am so sorry I didn’t tell you earlier.” Danny hugged her and soothed her fears until she fell asleep in his arms. He placed her under the covers and then went down to the parlor where his father was sitting. “Where’s Amber?” “She’s in her room, sleeping.” The two looked at each other and then Danny spoke, “You wanted ‘em to be scared and now they are.” “No! I never wanted them to be scared, I just wanted to protect them…” “Like you protected me?” “Daniel don’t start, this isn’t about you!” “Dad it’s never about me!” Danny stormed out of the room, his anger raging inside as he stormed to his old room.

“Oh, open up, please Daniel!” Jonathan stood at the door of the room, "Let's talk, you want to talk, don't you?" Danny threw open the door and let his father in, “Let’s take a trip down memory lane shall we Dad? My 1st grade play you missed because Bobby had a cold, my final soccer game in high school you missed because your Rome clients needed you. Dad I made the winning goal! Oh and how about my band’s first performance, or any of their performances, all of which you missed! I played soccer for two years, you came to 4 games.” “Daniel, I never meant to miss those things.” “You never missed Bobby’s things. Not one Dad!” “I loved you the same but you two were so different. Bobby liked business and golf and you liked music and soccer and I was more like Bobby. We had more in common.” “That’s how you live with yourself? ‘We had more in common!’ Come on Dad you aren’t that dense.” “I regret not being as close to you, but Danny I do love you and Bobby the same.” “I love those girls Dad and I want to be in their lives. And by the way Dad your birthday is August 31, same day as mine.” Danny sat on the window seat in his room and sighed. Jonathan sighed, rubbed a wrinkled hand over his tired eyes and said in a weary voice, “Daniel please, don’t leave. Not now. We are going to need you, all of us.” Danny turned and looked at his dad, "Don't worry, I won't leave my girls, never again." Jonathan nodded and turned to leave, pausing momentarily at the door to whisper, “I love you Danny boy.” When his dad was gone, Danny groaned and climbed into bed, whispering to himself as he fell into a restless sleep, "I love you too Dad."

The next morning Jessica awoke to Amber’s screams. She ran to her sister’s room and climbed into bed next to her. Amber buried her head in Jessica’s lap, “Oh Jessie why us? Why now?!” “I don’t know Amber, I don’t know. But we have to be mature and calm. Shush now, don’t wake up the others.” As loud as Amber’s screams had been the others hadn’t heard her, you see on one side of the house are the men’s rooms and on the other are the women’s. Mrs. Catere had slept right thru them since she didn’t wear her hearing aids to bed. The girls wandered down to the kitchen and Jessica poured them both glasses of orange juice. They drank quietly, not looking at each other, listening for the others. A knock at the front door caused both girls to jump and cling to each other. Slowly Jessica rose and walked to the door, looked through the window, and then opened the door.

In walked their music tutor, David Villet, "where is your grandfather or nanny?" Jessica turned and walked toward the kitchen, "she is not my nanny. She is our housekeeper. Anyway, both are sleeping. Would you like a cup of coffee Monsieur Villet? Or perhaps some milk?" Her voice was quiet and harsh, until he grabbed her wrist and pulled her around. "Why do you do this to me? Why do you walk away angry and bitter?" David asked softly, pulling her closer. She pulled away some though and answered gently, "because, you treat me like a child. You act like I am nothing to you. How should I act?" The two searched each other's eyes before embracing, David whispered into her hair, "it is for your own good. If I acted different I could lose my job. We may never see each other again. But I am here now and never leaving, not with those people getting so comfortable with being close to you."
© Copyright 2006 Jessica Carter (shugtwo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1090096-Poor-Guy