*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083491-On-acount-of-the-Volcano
by Winged
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1083491
Why some people might not like volcanos.
It was that time of year again. Katrina slowly put her blonde hair up as she headed out into the Storytelling Square. Nervously she reached to her side as she walked, making sure she hadn’t forgotten her sword. Finally she reached the square. She searched upon the people until she found a tall, young wizard with short brown hair. She smiled and jumped on him. Quickly he turned around, pointing his glowing staff at Katrina, only to withdrawal it. He reached out to hug Katrina. He whispered some words into her ear.
“You shouldn’t be out here Kat.”
“Too bad Dirick. I couldn’t just let you stand out here by yourself.”
Katrina smiled and grabbed her sword. Dirick smiled back and got his staff at ready. They were doing it again. Protecting their village from the warriors of Sherot. They were once again fighting their friends. Their friends who had been taken over by the evil. Katrina gripped her sword nervously. She hated doing this. Trying to protect the village from their own people. Trying to protect whomever they were going to take. Whoever they were going to sacrifice to their volcano. Their new evil god. Katrina hated the idea. But she also hated the idea of her love, Dirick fighting out here alone. She had made him a promise that she would never leave him alone to fight. She would always be by him. Always, she thought to herself as she saw the first Sheroit warrior come over the mountain. Katrina gulped down some air as she ran and swung her sword.
Katrina heaved her bloodstained sword at a warrior’s head, cutting it off. She glanced over were Dirick had been summoning his spells. She had glanced over just in time to see Dirick get hit over the head with the hilt of a sword, knocking him unconscious. The solider that had delivered the blow quickly picked up Dirick and signaled something. Suddenly Sheroit’s warriors started retreating.
Suddenly something came to Katrina’s mind. Dirick had been why they had won the last couple of battles. He was the only wizard in the village. He was the only one who had been able to summon dragons and other creatures to help them fight. Katrina’s mind went blank as she realized what was going on. He was their sacrifice. He was who they had been after for the last couple of times. Katrina stood there in shock as she mind slowly realized what was going on. It only took until the warriors where almost out of sight for Katrina to start running after them. They wouldn’t take him. She ran as fast as she could. She could barley make out Dirick’s body among the warriors. She growled as she saw the town of Sherot come closer and closer. She had never hoped to see its black buildings. She watched as they ran into the town. They were greeted with cheers of victory. They disgusted Katrina. She looked around. She would need a disguise if she intended on getting into the town and finding Dirick. She found some ashes on the ground and scooped them up into her hand. She smeared them on her face and on the other showing skin. She grunted.
“I guess this as good as it’s going to get.” She murmured to herself as she got up toward the other town. She walked into the town cheering and shouting war cries with the rest of them. But as soon as she spotted Dirick she stopped. He was still unconscious and a small trickle of blood from his head was falling down his cheek. Katrina watched closely as they threw him into a dungeon. Katrina smiled, formulating a plan in her head.

---

It was about midnight. Katrina had been hiding out until the guard to the dungeon had fallen asleep. Slowly she got up from her hiding place and walked over to the dungeon door. She quietly crept in and looked around for Dirick. She walked along, looking into cell after cell. She finally came upon his cell. Dirick was awake and struggling at his restraints. He looked up at Katrina with wide eyes.
“Kat? Is that you?” he spoke quickly
“”Dirick! Thank goodness your still alive. I was afraid that they had already…you know.”
“Yeah. The volcano. I know.”
Dirick smiled. Katrina returned his smile. She quickly got out her dagger and started picking his cells lock.
“Kat, why did you come to get me?”
“You know why.”
Katrina finally picked the lock. She walked into the cell and started picking the locks on Derricks hands. She looked at Diricks head where he was hit.
“Whoa. Once we get out of here, im going to look at that.”
“Oh its nothing Kat. Don’t worry about it.” Katrina picked the lock. Dirick smiled and rubbed his wrists.
“Come on. We have to get out of here.”
Dirick grabbed Katrina’s hand and started running. But as soon as they got above ground they saw that it was a trick. They had walked right into a trap, for now instead of the one asleep guard there were at lease a dozen awake ones. Katrina sighed and got out her sword. Dirick started changing some weird words. Katrina looked up at the volcano. It was smoking. She turned back to Dirick who was still chanting some words. She made a note of their possible escape routs…there was only one, over the volcano.
Katrina growled. This wasn’t going the way she had planned…or hoped. She glanced over at Dirick.
“We only have one way of escaping.”
“Really? What way?”
“Over the volcano.”
Dirick stopped chanting his words and looked at Katrina.
“Well Kat, it’s do or die time.”
“Heck yes it is.” Dirick started chanting again. But this time he was running while doing it. Katrina followed close behind him.
Soon Dirick and Katrina had reached the volcano’s rim. They weren’t surprised to see even more warriors once they got there. Katrina smiled. She could take them easily. Especially with Diricks help. She swung her sword at the nearest warrior, only to miss because of the great speed. Katrina looked around. All of the warriors up here were skinny instead of buff. She grunted as one of them came towards her in a very swift manner. She barely managed to stumble out of the way before she was almost knocked into the volcano. Dirick called to her from the other side of the rim.
“Kat we cant fight them! They are too fast! Lets just make a break for it!” Katrina agreed and ran over to the other side with some warriors right behind her. They skidded down the volcano and landed on the ground. Katrina looked up. The warriors weren’t following them. But Katrina didn’t care she was just happy to have Dirick back.

---

It was about a month after the attack. Katrina should have been happy. She got to fight the warriors of Sherot, she got Dirick back…Dirick. She was on a barrel looking out into the small graveyard of the town. When they had gotten back from Sheriot, Dirick had told her that his head had been hurting especially bad. They saw the town healing mage and found out bad news. There was an infection in Diricks head, where he had been hit so hard. The mage had anticipated that he only had about two months to live, but she had been wrong. About a week later Dirick died. Katrina hadn’t forgiven herself for letting him get hit in that battle. It was now a month later and the warriors of Sherot were anticipated on attacking today. Katrina sighed. She had nothing worth fighting for. She slowly walked over to Diricks grave and kneeled down. Slowly she got out her dagger and pointed it at her heart. It took all the ounce of strength she had in her but she managed to push it threw her skin and into her acing heart.
© Copyright 2006 Winged (valentine66 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083491-On-acount-of-the-Volcano