*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1037710-This-Ghost-was-a-real-Cowboy
by Jazzy
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #1037710
He appeared in the doorway of my closet and stood there staring at me.
Cowboy Ghost Encounter



This happened a few years back and it is something I shall never forget. We have friends, who've visited us and they've told us that our house was haunted. Of course we didn't believe it, or maybe we just really didn't want to. But ever since the western cowboy appeared to me that night, I've been a believer. Can't say that my husband is though. I think some people are more sensitive to paranormal experiences than others. I am one of these people.

Julie is my best friend and when we first moved into our home, she came to visit us. Julie is a Native American Indian, I believe they are more sensitive to the spiritual realm. She told me that when she first walked in the door. She felt a ghostly presence. Our house has a large screened in front porch, so before you come into the house, you are in the porch. Julie told me that she felt a chill run down her spine as she entered the screened in porch. She also felt a cold spot in the hall, which leads to our bedroom. When she walked into the bedroom, she felt a cold dark spirit and she said there was another spirit, but it seemed to be child like and kind.

Well, since she is my best friend I didn't want to dispute her on this. I found it hard to believe, but she is entitled to her opinion.

But, there was an encounter, this I’m very sure of. He was standing in the doorway of the bedroom closet. At first, I thought I was seeing things, because when he first appeared he was transparent, but as I watched him, he became more solid. This ghost, was a man in his thirties, his wavy, unruly red hair, was shoulder length. He had a medium length scruffy red beard and handle bar moustache. Wearing an old brown cowboy hat and dressed in tan breeches, white shirt with an old brown leather vest over it, a holster for a belt, which held a gun on the right side of his hip. His dark brown western style cowboy boots, were scuffed and dusty with spurs on their heels. He had these dark brown, nearly black eyes and he was looking right at me. He stood there for what seemed like all of ten minutes, I’m not sure. But, I can tell you this, I was scared half out of my wits! I wanted to duck my head under the covers and hide until he went away. But for some strange reason I couldn't. I just stared right back in disbelief, looking at him.

I thought he must have lived back in the 1800's. What he wanted to convey to me I will never know. We both stared into each others eyes for quite a while it seemed. Then he slowly turned around and faded away into my closet.

The following morning, my husband came home from working the graveyard shift, I told him what I had seen. His reaction was half believing and half not believing. When something like this happens to you, it’s hard to tell if people believe the story you’re telling them. Believe me this was a life changing experience. It so scary! And, naturally, I wanted to tell my family and closest friends.

I remember telling my Mother about this experience and when I told her what I saw, she believed me! Which really surprised me! She told me, that she felt something sinister in the hall way every time she walked into it. And she said that she couldn't stay in my bedroom for very long at all. Because, for some strange reason she felt frightened and wanted to run out of there as fast as she could. Both of the kid's bedrooms, she said were cold and strange. She had trouble sleeping in our daughter's room, when she would stay over night. But the strange thing to her she said, was every time she walked through the hall, the feeling always caught her off guard. She told me she hated going into my bedroom, because she thought the closet had to be the portal.
© Copyright 2005 Jazzy (jazzy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1037710-This-Ghost-was-a-real-Cowboy