*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1035302-Jack-Fell-Down
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1035302
Jack and Jill went up the hill...Jack fell down and broke his heart.
Jack Fell Down
Jess'ca



Jack stared intensely at the dark liquid in his glass.
"You sure this is the strongest stuff you got?" He asked the bartender.
"Strong enough to kill ya, or finish the job that woman started."
Jack raised a brow.
"How did you know it was a woman?" he slammed the drink back and gagged. It tasted like cherry cough syrup.
"It's always a woman." The bartender slammed another drink down.
"People are always coming in here, telling me their god damn love stories and asking for the strongest thing they got. Always wanting to drink away their pain, like in those sappy ass movies.Well I got news for ya buddy, in real life, after the guy's fucked up, he aint getting her back."
Jack slammed his head back with another drink and looked up.
"Then I guess you better keep em coming."



Five hours later the bar was closing and Jack was sliding off the stool.
"I love you man, you're the fucking best bartender ever." Jack slurred to Rick, his new best friend.
"Yeah buddy, well I ain that kind of man. Now get your ass home and take a cab."
Jack smiled.
"I think I walk, moon pretty." He staggered to the door and sighed as the cold, night air hit him.
The bar was on the corner of main street and about 5 blocks from Jacks apartment. The trouble is, Jack could'nt remember which direction the 5 blocks were.
He looked across the street and realized he was staring at the park.
The place where he and Jill had their first date.

She was happy then, bold and bright. He brown hair was curled for their date and Jack had run his fingers through it all night.
They had picnicked first, by the lake, where they could watch couples row by in boats. He remembered how suprised she had been when he told her he had cooked it himself. He made a flower out of a napkin and Jill had giggled at him.
"Flowers on the first date? How lucky am I!" she had joked.
She tucked the little napkin bud behind her ear.
He would never forget how beautiful she looked with the sun shining through her hair and her perfect white teeth grinning at him.
"Someday I'll tell you that when I saw you in the bookstore it was love at first sight." He had told her.
She laughed.
"And I'll say I loved you before that."
And that was it.
Instant partenership. He had taken her to his apartment where they made love until dawn. All night holding each other and laughing at their stamina.

It was only yesterday.
He remebered now, leaning against the same tree they had picnicked at.
He had woken up to sunlight streaming in his window.
And the door being busted down by police.
"Elizabeth Harper, you are under the arrest for the murder of Ian Harper, anything you say can and will be used against
you in a court of law. You have the right to be speak to an attorney, ...."
She looked right at him.
"I'm sorry." she said as a policeman pushed hard metal cuffs onto her wrists.
"But...her name is Jill." A police woman who was standing by walked up to him and calmly placed her hand on his arm.
"Are you alright?" she asked.
"She..She killed someone?"
"Her husband and many more before that, she was a serial killer, We've been hunting her for months,I'm so glad we got to you before she did any real damage. I know you only just met her yesterday."

Jack groaned and put his head back up against the tree.
Rick had lied, that shit was definetly not strong enough.
He stood up and fell backward quickly onto the sidewalk, then everything went black.

"Are you alright?" She killed her husband..killer..hunting her so glad we got you...damage...Are you alright?
"HEY!" a loud voice startled Jack awake.
"whaaa....Owww...." He groaned, his whole body was stiff and he realized he was laying on concrete.
"What the fuck?" Something furry was touching his face.
"Raptor!! DOwn...Down boy!."
Apparently a raptor was licking his face.
He sat up and blinked his eyes adjusting to the early morning sunlight.
"Sorry..he's excited, we usually go for a run and we stopped..well because we thought you were dead.
" A pretty blonde was saying.
Jack looked at her dog, a tiny pomeranian.
"You named him Raptor?" He laughed.
"Uh..yeah well he likes Jurassic Park."
She looked uncomfortable.
"Oh..damn I must look like some drunk homeless guy or something."
She smiled.
"Kind of, but you also look tired how about Raptor and I buy you a coffee?"
Jack slowly got up and brushed himself off.
"That would be great, and I'll by you both a muffin, assuming a real drunk homless guy didnt steal my wallet." He checked his pocket.
"Nope still there, I'm Jack."
"Mary, nice to meet you."
"Well Mary do you usually pick up guys off the sidewalk?"
She laughed as they walked and talked all the way to the coffee stand. Where they talked for hours, Jack made sure he knew everything about her, stopping only to feed and play with Raptor.
When morning turned to afternoon Jack politely asked for her number and the two parted ways.
Jack called her the next morning, skipped work and they spent all day on the lake.
"This is fun." Mary said as she gently kissed his cheek. "We should do it again, if you're not tired of me already?"
"I don't think I could ever get tired of you." he smiled and wrapped her in a hug.

And from then on, everywhere that Mary went, Jack was sure to go.
© Copyright 2005 Jess'ca (jess_ca at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1035302-Jack-Fell-Down