*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1033335-Voice-of-Innocence-and--Shout-of-Misery
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1033335
Two Freshmen in high school searching for the love of their life.
"Thank God it's Friday".
"Yeah, same here. Hey, are you going to the football game?"
"Of course! I heard that the upperclassmen were going to hold up a sign that said, 'Go Home Freshmen.'"
"Fay, we're freshmen."
"Well yeah, Hannah I know we're freshmen, but just think; we could meet an upperclassman, a junior maybe, and then he might ask us to Prom! I always wanted to know what Prom was like."
"Fay, you need to stop day dreaming so much. I mean why would a junior ask us out, then maybe to prom?"
The two girls eyed each other critically. Hannah had unusual violet eyes, her hair, deep blond with natural auburn highlights. Compared to most girls these days, she would be considered a giant among them, and her form was slightly larger than the average cheerleader. Fay on the other hand, had forest green eyes that were always dancing with mischief. When she was nervous, she would always run her fingers through long, golden, chestnut hair out of an old habit. Small in size and stature, never bothered with her need for an adventure out in the world.
"Fay, I don't think we'll meet that special guy at a football game."
"I hope we do," Fay looked around the parking lot filled with teenagers getting on the bus,then turned back to Hannah,"See ya at the game?"
"You know you will," giving each other hugs, they each parted to get on separate buses.

"...Number 25, Jimmy Theech, receives a wide pass thrown by number 56, Caleb Vetrosio...and a touch down for the Bruins!" Cheers roared from the stands on the home side. Drummers from the marching band banged thir drums in excitement for the Bruins. Hannah and Fay cheered right along with the crowd, even if they didn't know what a touch down was.
"Lets go walk around now Hannah!" Fay had to shout in order to be heard over the roaring crowd.
"Alright!" Hannah yelled right back.
Together they weaved through the crowd to an open area where they could see all the guys.
"He's kinda cute," Hannah tapped Fay's shoulder, Fay looked at the guy and replied,"Yeah I suppose, but we could do better." Hannah rolled her eyes when Fay turned the other way.
The third quater was about to start, and they were about to give up on looking for a boy friend until Fay had soda spilled on her Lets go Bruins, Lets go! tee-shirt as she was turning around to leave for home.
"Oh gosh, I'm really sorry! Someone just bumped into me when I was just going to..." Words were lost as boy and girl made eye contact. As the saying goes,"It was love at first sight".
Fay ran her fingers threw her hair, "Uh, that's okay. I wasn't looking where I was going anyway."
'Come on Fay! Here is the guy of your dreams, say something besides that!'
"Nice weather for spilled coke isn't it?"
'Stupid Fay! Now he'll just go away!'
The guy gave a small chuckle,"Yeah I suppose so, here," Shrugging out of his black leather jacket, he hand it to to Fay.
"Thanks." She pulled the jacket over her now wet tee-shirt, and nimbly zipped it up to her coller bone.It smelled faintly of cigarette smoke and clone. Hannah watching all this, decided to go.
"Hey Fay, I'm going up towards the band. I'll come back so we can leave seven minutes till the fourth quarter ends." If she was gooing to go, this might as well be the time. Hannah walked away from the lovebirds.
It was easier going with the crowd than against them. If you weren't too careful you could very well get trampled by several feet. Unfortunatly, this is exactly what happened to poor Hannah. She had tripped over her shoe, when several people accidentally stepped on her back with high heels and rubber soled sneakers. The crowd parted around Hannah after the first ten people stepped on her. A hand appeared in front of her face.
Looking up, Hannah who the hand belonged to. A freckle faced young man with fine crystal blue eyes, smiled at her perdicament."I take it you're clumsy too? Thats good; I'm not the only clumsy person in the school anymore. You Know how that makes me feel better?" Hannah knew that he was making her little perdicament a joke to lauch about. "Yeah, I suppose I'd feel better too." She took the offerd hand and he helped her to her feet.

As they were climbing the paved road to the student parking lot, Hannah said, "Thank you Mr. Ronald for taking me to the football game."
"No problem Hannah," Fay's dad was a man of few spoken words.
To Fay, Hannah said, "I met someone. His name is James Ryan. Oh my gosh, I can't believe I met someone who is cute and nice at the same time!" Hannah was a glow with exitement.
"Well you know that guy I was talking to when you left? His name is Keith Neaily, and I got to know him a little bit, and he asked me out! Isn't that great!" Fay looked for Hannah's "Oh my gosh" look, but didn't find it.
"Hannah?"
"Fay aren't you going a little too fast?"
"No! Why would you think that?"
"Well you have only known him for thirty minutes and he asked you out? If you ask me, I think you need to wait a bit and become friends first."
"No, because you will only be in the 'Friend zone' and he won't even relize you like him."
"Well then he must be a pretty stupid guy if he didn't relize you like him."
"Hannah!"
"That's my name don't wear it out. I'm just saying that he might take advantage of you and I'm a little worried for you."
"Be worried somewhere else!"

That was the very last time the girls ever spoke to each other. James proposed to Hannah when she became a senior. They had twin girls, and then eventually had a son. They had a very happy life until Hannah had a heart attack at the age of 58 and died. James died one year later during a drunk driver wreak off of Clevland Highway.
Fay should have taken Hannah's advice all those years ago at that football game. Keith had gotten her pregnant with a child, that summer. Embarrassed by her pregnancy, Fay dropped out of high school to take care of the baby. Keith ran off and got married to another woman, never looking back to check up on his child. Fay died fifteen years later during a bank robbery in Wichita, Texas.

© Copyright 2005 Meggi101 (meggi101 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1033335-Voice-of-Innocence-and--Shout-of-Misery