*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1028252-Broken
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Emotional · #1028252
One slit second in my life, in which who I was died, and who I am now emerged!
It is human nature to make mistakes, we all do. It is even more human to try and hide our faults. Everybody has their little secrets that they try to conceal from teh world. We want to be seen by other people in a positive light. We know we can't be perfect, yet we strive to be as close to perfect as possible. Because of the standards society puts on our lives, we withhold our troubles from the world, and because of the pressure we feel to fit in with society, we suffer alone.
Cassandra was a typical teenaged girl, or so it seemed. Something about her caught my attention and I began to watch her from day to day. She had big, beautiful, brown eyes, and long, dark hair to maatch. Her rosy cheeks accentuated her pail skin. I wouldn't describe her as attractive, but as more or less average. To everybody else she was just a part of the crowd. I could see more of her though; I saw through her soft outer shell, into herburdened, hardened heart. Her life was no more than a play, Cassandra being an actress, the world was her stage.
As she passed me by in the school hall one day, my eyes locked onto her paralyzing gaze. Her face told me stories of desolation and regret. Her eyes were swollen with tears she so desperately wanted to cry, but her tears would not depart from the place they had known as home for so long. I could see longing in her heart for normality. Her deepest wish was to simply be happy. The intensity of her wish grew daily, though for some reason I knew it would never come true.
I held her gaze in a second that lasted days. We stood lookin gon each other and I understood the true lifelessness within her soul. Doing as little as possible each day, she was only going through the motions of life. She never lingered long enough to make a real connection. Fear lurked behind every corner she turned, because she knew that around the bend she would be faced with herself once more. Memories haunted her every breath, to the point that she craved to breath no more. I could see her being held captive behind the hate and mistrust she felt for herself. Greif filled her entire being.
Her image began to slip away, and, in a moment, disapeared from my sight. I tried to lunge out, to grasp her, but she was beyond my reach. I realsized then, in an epiphany, that she was destined to a life of misery and eternal torture- nothing could change that. The only way to forget her pain was to forget Cassandra completely.
An abrupt thunderous crash opened my eyes to reality. There I stood, confused and unsure of what was happening. I looked around me. At that moment I realized my hands were covered in blood and pierced by shards of glass. The mirror I had seen my reflection in lay lifelessly on the floor, just like the girl within it. Cassandra existed no longer.
© Copyright 2005 His princess (wwjd_07 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1028252-Broken