*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1018099-Trusting-Friends-and-Enemies
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by mmm
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1018099
What do we really know about those around us?
The first day of school came just like the one before. I saw the cheerleaders with the cheerleaders and the chess club with the chess club. I looked at the listing to see two new names on the list for that school year. One was Alexa and the other was Helen.

In the hall on the way to my locker I noticed a girl leaning against the wall flipping through a book.She must have been just five foot with long dark brown hair that clouded her face. I didn't want to notice her beyond that so I walked on to find my locker.

In homeroom I caught up on the gossip from my best friend Julie. Nothing about the new girls came up except one was throwing a party that weekend. I assumed it couldn't be the one in the hall.Next thing I knew a tall blonde cheery eyed girl came up to me.

"Hi," she exclaimed."My names Helen. Are you coming to my party friday? I live on fifth street. You look like the kind of person who could spice up a party."

"Hello, yeah I'd love to come." She jumped off before I could even gave my name.

At lunch, Helen sat with my friends and I talking about all the exciting stuff her old school had. Everyone was fascinated by how great it sounded. During her discusion on how much better her old school's food was; I noticed Alexa watching us. As my head snapped up to make sure she was looking at us; she turned her head. I didn't give it any thought.

The rest of the week rolled on with more excited talk of Helen's party.I was packing my books to go home when Alexa came up to me.

"Be careful tonight, she isn't who you think she is."

She ran off before I could answer her. Where she had stood I found a silver necklace. The necklace was silver with a gold gem in the middle. I picked it up deciding to return it on monday first thing.

"You weren't talking to her were you. You know she's weird," Helen said to me as I pocketed the necklace. I just shrugged andwent about craming my books in my bag.

That night at the party, everyone was having a good time. Helen had spared no expense. The music, punch, and everything was great. It wasn't until late that things started to get weird.

People just started falling asleep right on the dance floor. When Julie fell beside me I noticed I was the only one awake except Helen.

All of a sudden, her eyes turned like a cat's and her teeth grew to fangs. Her skin turned ghostly pale and all I could do was scream.

"I guess this makes you first" she licked her lips."Your blood smells so sweet I've been waiting all week for this."

She came at me and I ran. The doors were locked there was no way out. She almost caught me several times.

"Why doesn't my power work on you like the others?" she asked as she backed me into a corner.

Just as her fangs seemed to extend from her mouth the door that was locked busted open. In stepped none other than Alexa who in a blink of an eye appeared right next to Helen.

"Your power doesn't work," she said,"Because mine is stronger." In that instant she pressed a small gold cross onto Helen's skin making her sprout her wings and fly off in pain.

I took a deep breath and started to ask "Was that a vampire?" She nodded."What are you?"

"Someone who can and has to stop people like her. Keep the necklace in case there is a next time, though I doubt she will be back."Alexa then walked out the door into the night sky.

I never saw her again. I never saw Helen again. I never took off that necklace for protection and as a reminder of not everyone is as they seem.
© Copyright 2005 mmm (panther13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1018099-Trusting-Friends-and-Enemies