*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1012981-Never-Again
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1012981
How long can one person deal with being alone?
Standing alone in the middle of a crowded room, I look around and see nothing, no one. Everyone seems to be talking, having fun. Everyone but me. And a boy sitting in the corner. Alone. Why is he alone? The music is booming, bodies are moving and yet he sits alone.
I stroll toward him, telling my friends I’ll be right back. He watched me move, following me with his sad eyes. When I sit down, he jumps, startled that I would sit next to him. He’s a little lanky, as if he hasn’t grown into his body yet and as I gently ask his name, he replies quietly, obviously shy; still contemplating the reasons I would be talking to him. He seems scared, out of place.
Alone. Why would this sweet guy be alone? As our conversation begins to flow, he becomes more and more comfortable. We talk about our friends and families, our joys and our strife. The dance continues around us.
He tells me of the brother he lost and of the sister he cherishes. We briefly discuss our future plans and he tells me of his hopes and dreams, coaxing me to share mine. When a good song comes on our discussion turns to music; leading us to movies, TV, and books. He is so enthralled, we are so enthralled, I ask him more and more, genuinely wanting to learn about him. The dance goes on.
As the DJ announces the final song, the boy gets a sad look in his eyes. I grab his hand and pull him onto the dance floor. We’ll share this final dance. A smile brightens his face as I put my arms around his neck and he warily encircles my waist. We move together on the dance floor, lost in the music, lost in each other; lost in the dance.
Why was this wonderful boy alone, why wasn’t anyone with him? As the song ends, I lit my face to his. You’ll never be alone again. Our lips meet and I know the words are true. We’ll never be alone again.
The stunning blue of his eyes off-set by his glasses, the way his arms fit perfectly around me, the way our lips match. It’s as if this was meant to be. As if we were made for one another.
For this moment, everything is perfect, remarkable, amazing. Looking into his eyes I see love, I see beauty. Both truly now, both for the first time.
As the dance ends around us, I know this is just the beginning.
© Copyright 2005 Funky_SpunkyKB (funky_spunkykb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1012981-Never-Again