*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1004484-Birth-of-a-Godfather
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fanfiction · #1004484
Remus and Sirius talk following the birth of Sirius' godson, Harry.
“He’s quite tiny, isn’t he?” Sirius asked quietly, and for the 3rd time that afternoon, awe still coloring his tone.

Remus took in the sight of his friend sitting comfortably in a large armchair with a small bundle resting in his lap, held secure by Sirius’ large hands. Remus didn’t think he’d ever seen the expression currently on Sirius’ face as he gazed down at the sleeping child.

“Well, yes, babies do tend to be that way,” Remus replied. “However as far as infants go he’s about average size.”

“My godson is certainly not average!” Sirius hissed softly. His protective nature had kicked in with a vengeance in the days since Harry’s birth, however he was in no rush to wake the child up… Sirius was still a bit intimidated by the small creature that had him so firmly wrapped around his tiny finger. “As the first member of a new generation of Marauders, he is certainly destined for great things.”

“That’s not what I meant, and you know it. Don’t get your hackles up.” Remus couldn’t restrain his grin. “Goodness, what were James and Lily thinking naming a ruffian like you godfather to their precious firstborn? Terrible influence you’ll be, mate.”

“Hah. You’re just envious.”

“No doubt,” replied Remus, not ashamed to admit it.

“Not to worry, they can always have more. One for each you and Peter to corrupt properly.”

“Humph. I’d be the height of propriety and the best of influences.”

Sirius snorted. “Right. And teakettles tap dance at midnight. Are James and Lily still napping?”

“Yes. And speaking of kettles, I’ve got one ready to be warmed when they wake up. I don’t want to rouse them yet though, I imagine they’d appreciate the extra rest.”

“Indeed. If possible I think James’ hair has been even messier since Harry’s birth.” Sirius chuckled and fingered his own shaggy locks.

“Not surprising. From what I understand even the best of infants is a bit of a challenge in the beginning.” Remus walked up behind Sirius and leaned over, placing a warm hand on his shoulder.

“He looks like James,” Sirius commented. “Even got his hair, what there is of it at the moment.”

“Yes, but he’s got his mother’s eyes.”

“He’s a newborn. He barely even opens his eyes. How can you tell?”

“Just look at him.” Remus replied, smiling.

“Hopefully he’s got her brains too.”

“Tough to tell at this stage. Let’s give him a year or two.” Remus looked down at the baby and placed his finger into Harry’s palm.

Harry opened his eyes for a few seconds and squeezed Remus’ finger before snuggling back to sleep in the comfort of Sirius’ arms.

Sirius leaned his head back for a moment before replying, “Yeah, we’ve got time.”
© Copyright 2005 anniesong (anniesong at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1004484-Birth-of-a-Godfather