*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Brady is miserable.
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2322678-The-Boy-Who-Couldnt-Stop-Growing/cid/CSKJ6H954-Brady-is-miserable
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Interactive · Fantasy · #2322678
A teenage boy starts a never-ending growth spurt.
Chapter #1

Brady is miserable.

    by: rpdr fan
Brady's bike rattled along the uneven sidewalk, his legs pumping furiously to keep up with Jake’s effortless strides. At 5’4”, Brady often felt like he was playing catch-up, both physically and in the banter that passed between him and his older brother. Jake, a towering 6’5”, had a way of teasing Brady that cut deeper than he liked to admit.

"Hey Shorty, you gonna grow another inch by the time we get home?" Jake’s voice rang out ahead, punctuated by a deep chuckle.

Brady scowled but kept his focus on the path ahead. They were heading back from the park where Jake had effortlessly dunked a basketball while Brady struggled to reach the hoop. It was moments like these that Brady’s height felt more like a curse than a quirk.

At home, their parents greeted them warmly, unaware of the silent rivalry that brewed between their sons. Mrs. Thompson, a petite woman with a kind smile, set out sandwiches while Mr. Thompson, a broad-shouldered man who stood at 6’2”, ruffled Jake’s hair in an affectionate gesture.

"So, how was your day, boys?" Mrs. Thompson asked as she placed a plate of cookies on the table.

"Same old, same old," Jake replied with a nonchalant shrug. "Brady here tried to dunk a basketball. Didn’t go so well."

Brady rolled his eyes, his cheeks warming despite his attempt to appear unfazed. "Just you wait, Jake. I’ll get there eventually."

Jake chuckled, tousling Brady’s hair in a move that was half-tease, half-affection. "Sure thing, little bro."

After dinner, Brady retreated to his room, the weight of the day settling heavily on his shoulders. He stared at the posters of his favorite basketball players lining his walls, their tall, athletic frames a stark contrast to his own slight build. What would it be like to look down at others instead of up? To not have to crane his neck just to meet someone’s eyes?

A knock on the door interrupted his thoughts. It swung open to reveal Jake, leaning casually against the frame with a grin that Brady knew all too well.

"You know, Brady, being short ain’t so bad," Jake began, his voice softer now, devoid of the usual teasing edge. "You’ve got heart. That’s more important than height."

Brady sighed, sinking onto his bed. "Easy for you to say. You’ve never been the shortest guy in the room."

Jake hesitated, then crossed the room to sit beside Brady. "Maybe not. But you’ve got something I don’t. You’ve got this fire in you, this drive to prove yourself. I’ve seen it."

Brady glanced at his brother, surprised by the earnestness in his voice. "Yeah? Well, it doesn’t feel like it sometimes."

"Trust me, little bro," Jake said, clapping a hand on Brady’s shoulder. "You’ve got more strength than you know. And who knows? Maybe one day, you’ll surprise us all."

That night, as Brady lay in bed, his mind churned with thoughts of height, of strength, of what it meant to truly stand tall. He stared up at the ceiling, the room bathed in moonlight that cast long shadows across the walls. What if there was a way to change his stature, to be more than just the short kid who struggled to reach the top shelf?

With a sigh, Brady closed his eyes, a single wish echoing in his mind. "I wish I was taller."

Little did he know, the universe has a funny way of answering such heartfelt desires, often in ways that are unexpected and beyond imagination.

You have the following choices:

1. Brody wakes up four inches taller.

*Noteb*
2. Brody and Jake switch bodies.

*Noteb*
3. Brody becomes a grown man

*Noteb*
4. Brody turns into a giant.

*Noteb*
5. Other

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 rpdr fan (UN: royalroyy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
rpdr fan has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2322678-The-Boy-Who-Couldnt-Stop-Growing/cid/CSKJ6H954-Brady-is-miserable