*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/998101
Rated: XGC · Message Forum · Erotica · #159656
Reading, writing, editing, reviewing, teasing, tempting, teaching, laughing, living!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 10, 2005 at 9:35am
Edited: August 28, 2010 at 3:29pm
Re: Turned off...
 (This message was edited by emtnythawk on 01-10-05 @ 9:43 am EST)

Hello, Petronella,

What turns me off when reading erotica?

One thing that turns me away quickly is a story either being or becoming a wanton, rabid sex-fest. I'm not interested in how many times a depicted duo/group does something. Nor do I care to read something that is written solely with the intent to shock the reader. Frankly, I read for relaxation and pleasure, not to be shocked out of my chair.

Another thing that makes me drop a story (of any genre) is lack of plot. To me, a story has to have a coherent plot to start with; everything else flows from there. Lack of good storyline shows up quickly, and sends me to the next item on the list.

Thirdly, if you want me to read your story then give me good, believable characters. I've seen too many writing attempts in many genres where the authors used stock or what I call "cardboard cutout" characters, people that really had nothing about them to keep the reader interested in the story. You don't necessarily have to give them complete lives or even names in an erotic story, but at least make them compelling and emotional enough to get the reader's attention. And along with that, make the reader feel the emotions involved.

And lastly, if you want me to read a story (of any genre), then get in there and actually WRITE it! Put in the effort to make it a good story, and know "little details" like proper spelling, grammar and sentence structure. Many a story has lost me over the years, on various websites, because grammar, spelling, sentence structure, or any combination were so bad or jumbled that I could not follow the story. It may very well have been an excellent story or theme; however, because I couldn't get through the first two or three paragraphs of bad writing, I never bothered to find out.

SkyHawk
MESSAGE THREAD
Turned off... · 01-06-05 4:48pm
by Petronella60 -on hiatus
Re: Turned off... · 01-06-05 7:34pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Turned off... · 01-07-05 1:35am
by Tehuti, Lord Of The Eight
Re: Turned off... · 01-08-05 4:30pm
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: Turned off... · 01-10-05 9:35am
by SkyHawk - Into The Music
Re: Turned off... · 01-12-05 5:32pm
by Enchantress MysticJoy
Re: Re: Turned off... · 01-13-05 5:08pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Turned off... · 01-21-05 4:11pm
by SB Musing

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Petronella60 -on hiatus.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/998101