*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3651841
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2180090
Message forum for readers of the BoM/TWS interactive universe.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 14, 2024 at 12:40pm
Commentary: "A Trip Past the Supermarket" aka "Heather Dow"
by Seuzz
Arc begins here: "A Trip Past the Supermarket

This was written for a commission: Will gets put in the body of one of the conspirators in the teachers' arc. The initial idea also included Will dealing with an infirmity, but the commissioner was not really wedded to the idea that Will suffer from dementia or anything like that. The idea, tbh, didn't thrill me, but I saw an easy way of at least getting into the story, using Garson Dow and his terminal condition as an entry point, so I accepted.

As I wrote it, I did get more involved with it. Given the circumstances, Will would not be stuck as Heather Dow for very long -- the conspirators would quickly notice that something had gone wrong with the masks -- so I had to hustle him out of town. That gave me plenty of scope both for some TG play, and for back story. The best part for me, frankly, was getting inside the psychology of the two thieves: what would it be like for them to be so sorely tempted, and to give in to it.

It also helped that the commission was for only 5 chapters, which turned out to be just the right length for what interested me. James Lamont showed up at just the moment I had run out of invention.

Also: I was writing these chapters while publishing the previous arc (Will-as-Melody meets the Brotherhood), so the history of Saratoga Falls gets dragged into in the last chapter, and Doris Grissom gets a little more texture so that she's not just a sweet little old lady. Rachel Burton didn't mean anything to me, I'll confess. I think she was canonically a victim in the teachers' arc, and that's the reason I picked her for Heather. And because Heather needed a motive to pick Rachel, I made up some family history for both her and Rachel to explain it. But I made up something that I *think* could have possibilities.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Commentary: "A Trip Past the Supermarket" aka "Heather Dow" · 05-14-24 12:40pm
by Seuzz
Re: Commentary: "A Trip Past the Supermarket" aka "Heathe... · 05-15-24 12:14am
by Nostrum
Re: Re: Commentary: "A Trip Past the Supermarket" aka "He... · 05-15-24 11:22am
by Zuul
Re: Re: Re: Commentary: "A Trip Past the Supermarket" aka... · 05-15-24 12:04pm
by ThePrussian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Commentary: "A Trip Past the Supermarket"... · 05-15-24 5:40pm
by Zuul
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Commentary: "A Trip Past the Supermar... · 05-15-24 9:06pm
by ThePrussian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Commentary: "A Trip Past the Supe... · 05-18-24 10:42am
by Seuzz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Commentary: "A Trip Past the ... · 05-18-24 11:36am
by Nostrum

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Seuzz.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3651841