*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3593489
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 14, 2023 at 12:09pm
Edited: October 14, 2023 at 1:20pm
Who is my Antagonist?
I'm struggling to know who my antagonist is. *Blush*

My story is fantasy western about a cowboy who agrees to give a message to someone, not realizing she's not in the current town and he'll have to travel for several months to get the message to her. Since the message doesn't even mean anything to him, she's not always sure it's even worth the trouble.

Possible Antagonists
1. Himself--he has to grow, of course, and part of that growth includes doing what is right, even when it's hard and he doesn't want to. As in any good story, my MC struggles and eventually wants to quit.
2. His Father--My MC's father left him and his mom when MC was a kid and it caused his mother's premature death. He later leaves his own wife, not realizing she's pregnant, and when he decides he should return, she's since died in childbirth, along with the baby. People say if he'd been there, he could have gotten the doctor and they both would have lived. Later, he meets his father again and at first he is angry and resentful, but later saves his father's life and the reconcile. In the end, the message is being delivered to a pregnant woman and he decides to stay with her to help her, having recovered from his daddy issues.
3. Nature--Lots of things try to kill my MC throughout the story as he almost drowns, almost suffocates in sand, is almost driven mad by a lack of sleep because the song crows won't shut up, etc.
4. Various "Bad Guys"--My MC meets various bad guys along the way with 1 set, the spur hunters, being a recurring theme, at least 3 times, but I hadn't planned on them being the same set of spur hunters since the MC is traveling so far. It's more like they are sort of gangs and he's traveling through their territories where they hunt for humans to get their spurs which are sometimes made of a precious metal with mystical properties that allows them to communicate with their mounts, but also, they just enjoy the sport, like deer hunters, and they display their spur trophies proudly.
5. Life--He feels like life is pointless and meaningless. He has no purpose and doesn't see that other people often do have purpose and meaning in their life. He finds this through his effort to deliver the message.

I don't care that I don't know who my antagonist is, but apparently, I'm supposed to know for some of the exercises. *Laugh*

Easter signature

And be sure to check out my challenge

FORUM
The Contest Challenge  (13+)
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
#2109126 by Schnujo's in Alabama

and my contest

FORUM
The Whatever Contest -- Closed for Now  (13+)
This irregular contest will change each round. Nature poem? Horror story? Whatever.
#2232242 by Schnujo's in Alabama

MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Who is my Antagonist? · 10-14-23 12:09pm
by Schnujo's in Alabama
Re: Who is my Antagonist? · 10-14-23 2:11pm
by Angelica Weatherby-Fallishere
Re: Re: Who is my Antagonist? · 10-14-23 4:03pm
by Schnujo's in Alabama
Re: Re: Re: Who is my Antagonist? · 10-14-23 5:21pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Who is my Antagonist? · 10-14-23 5:18pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Who is my Antagonist? · 10-14-23 5:16pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Who is my Antagonist? · 10-15-23 1:01am
by Schnujo's in Alabama
Re: Re: Re: Who is my Antagonist? · 10-15-23 5:17pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is my Antagonist? · 10-15-23 5:28pm
by Patata Aterrdora en NM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is my Antagonist? · 10-16-23 12:50am
by Schnujo's in Alabama
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is my Antagonist? · 10-16-23 9:25am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is my Antagonist? · 10-16-23 3:51pm
by Schnujo's in Alabama
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is my Antagonist? · 10-16-23 4:32pm
by Angelica Weatherby-Fallishere

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3593489