*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3590265
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:29pm
Edited: October 1, 2023 at 10:31pm
Day 2 - Plot: Premise
Storm Machine got us started with October 1st. Not it's my turn to take the baton and run. I am 💙 Carly and I am one of several amazing writing coaches here to guide you, answer questions and cheer you on as you make that story in your head start to take shape.

I love this time of year. Whether you are pulling ideas and sorting them into some kind shape for this year's NaNoWriMo or returning to a work in progress and rebelling your way into Nano (like me) I find this time to prep, a time to refocus in on the important elements for your story. Bringing some clarity to the foggy details.

Today's (October 2nd) focus is on the Premise. Here are the details we are considering:
Oct. 2: - Plot: Premise
Now that you've brainstormed the general story idea, let's identify some story elements:
(1) Setting(s). Where and when does your story take place?
(2) Protagonist(s). Who is(are) your main character(s)?
(2b) Flaw(s). What is(are) the protagonist's major flaw(s)?
(2c) Goal(s). What does(d) the protagonist(s) want (or want to avoid)?
(3) Conflict(s). What's keeping them from their goal(s)? Why?
(4) Antagonist(s). Who or what is creating the conflict(s)? Why?

Just for fun: Write a provocative one-sentence description of your story.
Example: A young, mistreated orphan discovers he is a wizard and must face the evil villain Voldemort to fulfill his destiny.

This is one of the references that is listed for today:
*** Wikipedia's definition of Narrative Conflict

Having a premise gives you a reference point whenever you find yourself getting off track when you are writing the story. I found this YouTube video that does a pretty good job of discussing the premise. The first 10 minutes focuses on story. It may help clarify your premise and the importance of it. Don't stress about it though, by the time we get to the end of the month, you will know a lot more about your story and may change or modify your premise.

I took some time this summer to begin going through The 90-Day Novel by Alan Watt, which delves into some great questions for your protagonist and antagonist. Considering those questions really helped to define and clarify my narrative conflicts and my characters.
The best advise Watt gave was to hold the story loosely and let it take shape without putting on outside pressure to make it into something you want. Staying loose lets the story come to you and it will, we just need to get out of the way and let it happen.

Considering today's questions allows you to see the story begin to take shape. You can be as detailed or as skeletal as you'd like. Whatever works for you. Over the course of the month we return to each of these areas to develop them. You only need to spend 15 minutes working on this - and don't forget to record that you did it in the Entry Log. The link is at the bottom of the forum page. If you need help just ask. We're all here for you.

I believe you get a grace period, but you must begin recording your progress by October 3. Then you need to make sure to record before the 72 hour mark to keep yourself in the running for all the cool things you get access to at the end of the month.

Happy prepping.

Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
For new Mods!

My owl signature from Gemini Gem.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Day 2 - Plot: Premise · 10-01-23 10:29pm
by 💙 Carly
Re: Day 2 - Plot: Premise · 10-01-23 11:06pm
by QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham
Re: Day 2 - Plot: Premise · 10-02-23 1:42am
by Elycia Lee ☮
Re: Re: Day 2 - Plot: Premise · 10-02-23 3:30am
by H❀pe
Re: Re: Re: Day 2 - Plot: Premise · 10-03-23 11:39am
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: Re: Day 2 - Plot: Premise · 10-03-23 11:39am
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: Re: Re: Day 2 - Plot: Premise · 10-03-23 10:18pm
by Elycia Lee ☮
Re: Day 2 - Plot: Premise · 10-02-23 2:59pm
by 💙 Carly
Re: Re: Day 2 - Plot: Premise · 10-02-23 9:44pm
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: Re: Re: Day 2 - Plot: Premise · 10-02-23 11:03pm
by 💙 Carly

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3590265