*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3483314
Rated: E · Message Forum · Activity · #2261482
Where all you have to do is read books to receive awesome prizes.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 22, 2022 at 3:09pm
Edited: February 23, 2022 at 6:03am
February: Review 2 & 3
I don't typically read a lot of books in this category unless my granddaughters recommend them. So, I asked them what they've been reading lately and which they liked the best. Here are my last two reviews for February:

Take Back the Block By Chrystal D. Giles

This is such a great book and I feel is relevant in today's climate! It's about community, friendships, gentrification, and justice. The main character, Wes, spends his 11th birthday protesting the building of a new development in his neighborhood. I don't want to give away too much, but this book is empowering and will leave you cheering. This is an excellent read for middle-school kids and their families because it will spark discussions - just as it did around our dinner table!

*FlowerB* *FlowerY* *FlowerP* *FlowerV* *FlowerR* *FlowerT*

We Belong By Cookie Hiponia

My younger granddaughter recommended this book. She said she enjoyed it because "we have a lot of immigrants in our family".
This book is written in verse, like a poem and it's beautiful. It's about two girls, Luna and Stella, who know their mother came from the Philippines as a child, but they didn't know much else. One night at bedtime they asked their mom questions and the mom began telling them stories. She told her girls about the difficulties immigrants face. The thing I really liked about this was how the author weaved in some Filipino culture and mythology, and present-day moments between mother and daughters.

MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
February: Review 2 & 3 · 02-22-22 3:09pm
by Lilli 🧿 ☕
Re: February: Review 2 & 3 · 02-23-22 7:04am
by Choconut
Re: Re: February: Review 2 & 3 · 02-23-22 7:11am
by Lilli 🧿 ☕

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Choconut.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3483314