*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3459020
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 22, 2021 at 11:08pm
Re: Re: Re: What Software Will You Use?
I used Dabble in 2019 and really liked it. This year I'm trying Scrivener. It seems a good bit more complicated, so I'm a bit worried about that, but we'll see how it goes. If worse comes to worse, I'll just switch back to Dabble. *Wink* I'm only doing Scrivener because it's free to try during NaNo, more than just the 30 days. They give you from mid October to the 1st week of December. *Smile* I'm thinking of testing 4TheWords next year. Save the Cat, though I'm actually using their outline method, seemed a bit expensive to me, so while I'm willing to pay that much if it's a 1-time purchase, I don't want to commit to that much regularly. *Pthb* Save the Cat doesn't have a free trial, does it, Cheddah? I didn't notice that they did.

Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness, yes, it's on the honor system. The only thing you upload once you get started is your word count and that's really more update than upload. *Wink* There is a lot more to the NaNo site than QueenNormaJean 4th's Loud Here mentioned, but that is the basics. However, if you are interested in testing out some of the free software (which you can usually buy at a discount after NaNo and a deeper discount if you win NaNo), you can check out the sponsors' page (I think officially called Offers under Writer's Resources) and their threads in the Forums (under the Community tab). You can also award yourself badges and chat with friends. My region does some training and write-ins on Zoom as well, so be sure to check out what's going on in your region's thread (on the main NaNo site--the forums are on a sort of different branch which you can tell because the little icon on the tab is different).

If you head to the forums, there's tons there. There are just places to introduce yourself and chat about your project, of course. There are dedicated threads to certain genres, in case you want to socialize with those writing like you...or want to be able to easily ask questions about things that others might not be able to easily answer outside your genre. There are also specialty threads for people with special skills and experiences. You can either troll those for info or you can post a thread stating the experiences you have that you are willing to talk about. I've asked questions on the sign language thread, the dog breeding thread, the guy who lives alone in the mountains thread, the person in a wheelchair thread, and others. I posted about quilting, having PTSD, being in the Army, and having a brain injury. No one seemed to care about quilting that year, but I had some questions about the other things, but mostly everyone wanted to make their military characters more realistic so I answered their questions. *Smile*

My favorite part of the NaNo threads is the Adoption Society threads. SO FUN! They are threads where people post ideas they aren't going to use. You can grab as many as you want and as many people as want to can grab the same one. Of course, you can change the idea to suit your needs as well. I've gotten TONS of ideas from those threads! There's all sorts of them--Adopt a subplot, Adopt a Witty Line, Adopt a Running Gag, Adopt a Title (which is where I got my story idea this year), and so many others. These are my favorite part of the NaNo site! Here's the link. https://forums.nanowrimo.org/c/story-development/adoption-society/60

Dobie Mom, if you get the prep finished on time, you can also do sprints in the NaNo Lounge. That's how I finished mine in 2019. *Bigsmile*

And be sure to check out my challenge

FORUM
The Contest Challenge  (13+)
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
#2109126 by Schnujo's in the Falklands

and my contest

FORUM
The Whatever Contest -- Closed for Now  (13+)
This irregular contest will change each round. Nature poem? Horror story? Whatever.
#2232242 by Schnujo's in the Falklands

Reviewed by U.S. Army Ret. Schnujo at the Witch's House
MESSAGE THREAD
What Software Will You Use? · 10-22-21 2:20pm
by Cheddah
Re: What Software Will You Use? · 10-22-21 2:24pm
by Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness
Re: Re: What Software Will You Use? · 10-22-21 2:39pm
by QueenNormaJean 4th's Loud Here
Re: Re: What Software Will You Use? · 10-25-21 5:09am
by WakeUpAndLiveļø~scary 2024
Re: Re: Re: What Software Will You Use? · 10-25-21 6:34am
by Oliviaā€“Soccer EC FRA:POR 4:3
Re: What Software Will You Use? · 10-22-21 2:40pm
by Shaye
Re: What Software Will You Use? · 10-22-21 3:03pm
Re: Re: What Software Will You Use? · 10-22-21 4:57pm
by Dobie Mom
*Star* Re: Re: Re: What Software Will You Use? · 10-22-21 11:08pm
by Schnujo's in the Falklands
Re: Re: Re: Re: What Software Will You Use? · 10-22-21 11:20pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What Software Will You Use? · 10-22-21 11:30pm
by Schnujo's in the Falklands
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What Software Will You Use? · 10-23-21 5:22pm
by šŸŒø pwheeler - love joy peace
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What Software Will You Use? · 10-24-21 11:31am
by Dobie Mom

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3459020