*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3458349
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 19, 2021 at 10:10pm
What do you think?
I'm reading a book with some weird ways with words. I read quite a few pages while waiting in line for a free food giveaway. And made some notes.

So, here we go:

The idea of the novel is two friends, young women, hiking in the Appalachian area. Of course, they are not hikers. They argue, they complain. And of course, there is a medical emergency. And of course, there are menacing backwoods men afoot.

1. "(she) marveled...at how the Blue Ridge Mountains were actually blue. Pale blue, dark blue, purple blue. Her father had taught her that these colors were created by isoprene exhaled from the breathing trees.
This is a thing, it's true. When was the last time you saw the word isoprene?

2. "A commercial airplane whined across the darkening sky...The passengers on board would never hear her cries for help. She watched the red blinking lights in silence."
Could you actually see lights from an airline if you are in the forest in a hole 4 feet deep? I wondered about this.

3. "The pain was so livid and fluctuating that it was almost redundant."
I'm confused. The dictionary definition of redundant is: Not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous.

So I have to say that what I've read on the OctoPrep challenge site, the works you fellow writers are laboring over, are Pulitzer Prize winners compared to this. I'm not even going to print the name or author. If you want to know, I'll email it to you.

Queen NormaJean *Crown*

2021 OctoPrep Cheerleader

winner badge

Signature for use by anyone nominated for a Quill Award in 2020

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
What do you think? · 10-19-21 10:10pm
by QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham
Re: What do you think? · 10-20-21 1:13am
by Schnujo's in the Falklands
Re: Re: What do you think? · 10-20-21 10:01am
Re: What do you think? · 10-20-21 5:36am
by Oliviaā€“Soccer EC BEL:FRA 0:0
Re: Re: What do you think? · 10-20-21 10:04am

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3458349