*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3455986
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 8, 2021 at 9:41pm
Re: Re: Re: Missing the feel...
I'm all eyes.
Please explain your story. What's happening, why, to whom, and what kind of conflict is causing troubles, and who will fix the troubles/how? Characters are a strange lot. Stories can be difficult sometimes because of the writing rather than the story or the writer. When I took a steampunk class a few months ago I had that problem. The story was flat and uninteresting.

As I found new techniques and approaches to presenting what I wanted to share with readers, the story staRTED TO COME ALIVE. FREE WRITING MAY HELP, BUT ALSO CONSIDER THE TECHNIQUES. I'm not yelling, my computer is yelling against my will. It does what it wants sometimes...hey that would be an interesting story, a computer with a mind of it's own...anyway back to writing and stories.

Try mixing up the presentation of dialogue. Put any explanation in different places. for example:

As she went to the door "wait I'm not finished!"

Wait I'm not finished!" He watched her go to the door.

Watching her, "Wait I'm not finished!" She was at the door.

Consider ifi what you are writing is more of a diary rather than a story showing actions and reactions.

Telling a story takes fewer words than showing.

She was so mad she kicked the bucket and wound up in her grave.

Clinching her fists, gritting her teeth, and kicking the bucket, she found herself under a mound of dirt.

Play around with presentation and different ways to show what is happening. Be a mad scientist and try whatever comes to your mind. Even if none of whatever you try is useful, it is not a waste because you can use it for another project. And, you have practiced your word art.

What pictures can you draw with words?
What words cause you to feel something about a character or event or something else?
What order is easiest to understand, see like watching a movie, and makes you want to keep reading?

Read out loud some of your word art and see how it sounds and affects you. If it is flat and you aren't interested, change whatever needs changing and keep experimenting until the word art flows. You can do this! Your story will take care of its elf while you take care of the presentation.

Gently usher the editor outside of your mind and invite the editor back later, just write so you capture the ideas.
Write with might for readers' delight.
Safe travels and many blessings.

Viv (dogpack) & Bella (service dog)
https://www.youngliving.com/vo/#/signup/new-start?sponsorid=18522449&enrollerid=...
"disABILITY WRITERS GROUPEveryone is welcome to join our family.
"ONE SIZE FITS ALL RAFFLE iS OPeN Give a no hassle gift for any occasion.
"disABILITY WRITERS MOUNTAIN LOG CABIN Join our gab cabin activities.
MESSAGE THREAD
Missing the feel... · 10-08-21 4:04pm
by WakeUpAndLiveļø~scary 2024
Re: Missing the feel... · 10-08-21 4:32pm
by Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness
Re: Re: Missing the feel... · 10-08-21 4:40pm
Re: Re: Re: Missing the feel... · 10-08-21 5:24pm
by A E Willcox
Re: Missing the feel... · 10-08-21 5:57pm
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Re: Missing the feel... · 10-08-21 6:01pm
Re: Re: Re: Missing the feel... · 10-08-21 6:03pm
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Re: Missing the feel... · 10-08-21 9:19pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Missing the feel... · 10-08-21 9:41pm
by dogpack:saving 4 premium: DWG
Re: Re: Re: Missing the feel... · 10-08-21 10:03pm
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Re: Re: Re: Missing the feel... · 10-09-21 1:00am
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Re: Re: Re: Missing the feel... · 10-09-21 7:26am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Missing the feel... · 10-09-21 2:19pm
by Chrys O'Shea

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3455986