*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3455569
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 7, 2021 at 11:28am
Edited: October 7, 2021 at 11:31am
Re: Feeling like I did in grade school
Agreed, it's very much like homework. Are we gluttons for punishment or what??

I hope you don't mind but I read through all your exercises so far just to get a feel for your characters and your conflict. I like your premise. It seems to me that your main character, Ruth, has two different conflicts that she's battling through your story: 1. The lack of financial means, represented by almost losing the house, and 2. Her grief at the loss of her husband. The first is an external conflict, and the second is an internal conflict. I think you're pretty close as far as your climax, but you're focusing on the internal conflict, whereas the climax for the external conflict happened prior to that moment, whenever the house was saved. You can have a more powerful and fulfilling ending if you can align those to climaxes. What if Ruth has a crisis of faith that continues to grow as everything around her seems to be falling apart? And what if, whatever it is that saves the house is something that renews her faith? In that moment, she not only gets to keep her house, but whatever it is that allows her to keep the house is something that also helps her deal with her grief?

For example, what if something that Ruth's husband did years ago, some altruistic act, gets rewarded and paid forward at just the right moment? What if some young person he helped years ago is now very financially well off and decides to find the man who helped them, tracks him down and learns that he's passed away, and then not only helps Ruth save her house, but starts a fund in the husband's name to save the houses of widows without financial means? Then check out your climax - the external conflict gets resolved because the house is saved, and the internal conflict is also resolved because not only is Ruth's faith renewed, but she also is comforted by the special memory of her husband which is forever preserved in a fund in his name, which is designed to help people, which is what she loves.

Sorry, just brainstorming LOL. Use or discard any ideas as you see fit. I do challenge you to see if you can resolve her internal conflict at the same time as her external conflict or very close to it if possible.

And if you are not having fun doing the homework, you won't hurt our feelings. *Wink*

Cheers,
Michelle

Gift from Blue Witch
MESSAGE THREAD
Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-07-21 10:03am
by Marvelous Friend
Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-07-21 11:18am
by QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham
*Star* Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-07-21 11:28am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-07-21 12:22pm
Re: Re: Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-07-21 2:29pm
by Marvelous Friend
Re: Re: Re: Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-07-21 3:29pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-07-21 5:08pm
by Marvelous Friend
Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-08-21 10:38am
by Past Member 'runningwolf04'
Re: Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-08-21 11:19am
by Marvelous Friend
Re: Re: Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-09-21 5:10pm
by Past Member 'runningwolf04'
Re: Re: Re: Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-11-21 8:43pm
by Schnujo Enjoyed Colombia
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-11-21 9:56pm
by Marvelous Friend
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-11-21 9:58pm
by Schnujo Enjoyed Colombia
Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-08-21 6:46pm
by šŸŒø pwheeler - love joy peace
Re: Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-08-21 10:44pm
by Grin 'n Bear It!
Re: Re: Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-09-21 7:27am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Feeling like I did in grade school · 10-08-21 10:48pm
by dogpack:saving 4 premium: DWG

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3455569