*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3365212
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2180090
Message forum for readers of the BoM/TWS interactive universe.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 1, 2020 at 2:38pm
The Libra in Latin!
by Seuzz
Thanks to the awesome Nostrum, we now have an official title for the Libra, along with its preface, in Latin!

You can find it in two places, in one of the Appendices: "Cover, Facing Papers, Title Page and in the Wiki: "Magic: The Libra Personae.

And I'll also put them here:

[Title Page] Summa Persona: De Elementa, et ad Relatio Inter Se; et Modum Repraesentationis et ejus Reflexio in Materia Lector diligens; in hoc opus ipsis est data sunt Personae tuus, eius familiarissimum aliquas operationes, et relationes ejus partes ad invicem ut totum constituere. Factum est compilatur et restituantur en forma singulari ex primaevis, antiquis, classici et moderni scientia, et sunt ornataque per nova et mirabile inventis. Datum sunt tibi maxime convenientis expressiones propter abstractionis et ad praesentationis de elementis Personae ad illustrationem intellectus, et Modi specifici ut per animadverto quam abstractae in materialiter, ita quod sensibus, non solum etiam intellectus.

[Preface]De Re Abusus Potentialis hac Scientiam
Est in natura Personae quod sit dandum motus, quia non est anima sine motus, et reliquae Materia a quo Personam quod praeterisse sola corpus inertis residuum. Praeterea, est in natura Personae, ut esse videantur per contemplationem; quamvis Persona attinens in materia, tantum percipitur sola per intellectum qui vident.

Quia ex tempore Magna Ruina ut mali habitum autem Homine de fraus et adhibent de machinationes deceptio,prevaricando legem Divinam, et in illa simulatione dissimulatio operient, circumvenio proposito. Per calumnia et dissimulato, magna laborem habent effectum est, erit facile percipi quod scientia et machinationes presenti in opus, possunt usus in se proposita praeter quam illustrationem per intellectus, et admirationi et comprehensionem ex magni creaturae Dei.

Ergo, lectorem monuit ut sit periculi, ad animam, corpus et mens; quae adhibere ad haec thema et ejus studium, ut quasi non seducat quae inliciant. Et ne forte cor dicens, "Veni, et sic; per artes et scientiam huius summa operis, ut quia Ego potes cingunt multa magna opera, et aperis cor me ut in quae omnis contineri. Est et uti contentus cupio in quia ecce mihi ego, et qua non intellegis nihil me quam meas". Haec non opus habet insidias sed lectorem faceret sibi, prauitas humana insipientia et tamen, quia plures formae suam tentationibus, non attendit superbia et periculis etiam arte effecit.

Nec quisquam ignarus geometriae alchymicam ingredieris huc.

Traduntur mysteriis opere, quod est obsignatum compagibus. Nec signi est cor ejus et spiritus hoc est frivolum et negligens.

[Title Page] Personas: On their Elements and Relations to Each Other; their Construction; and their Modes of Representation and Reflection in Matter Diligent reader, in this work you are given the persona, its innermost workings, and the relations of its parts to each other so as to constitute the whole. It is compiled and reconstituted in an original manner from primordial, ancient, classical and modern knowledge, and embellished by new and marvelous discoveries. You are given the most convenient expressions for the abstraction and presentation of the elements of the persona for the enlightenment of the understanding, and the practical means by which to realize these abstractions in material form, that they may be comprehended by the senses and not only by the intellect.

[Preface]Concerning the Possible Abuses of this Knowledge
It is the nature of personae that they be given motion, for without motion there is no life, and matter from which the persona has departed is a mere corpse. Moreover, it is the nature of personae that they be displayed for contemplation, for although the persona is realized in matter it is perceived only through the understanding of those who behold it.

It has been since the Fall the evil habit of men to deceive and to employ instruments of deception, in contravention of holy law, and by dissimulation to encompass their purposes. By pretense and disguise have mighty labors been achieved, and it will easily be grasped that the knowledge and instruments given in this work can be employed for purposes other than the enlightenment of the understanding, and the admiration and comprehension of God's mighty creation.

Therefore, let the reader beware those dangers, to soul as well as to body and mind, that attend this subject and its study, and let him not deceive himself as to them. Let him not say in his heart, "Come, by the knowledge and craft of this work may I encompass many great works, and ease my heart to all content. Let me employ its art how I will, and understand it no further than that my purposes be realized." This work contains no snares but those the reader may make for himself, yet such is the folly and perversity of mankind that many may those snares fashion for themselves, and in their pride see not the dangers that attend even the most artful falsehood.

Nor let any untrained in alchemical geometry enter here.

Great mysteries in this work are presented, and so certain locks are placed upon it. Sign it not with a heart or spirit that is frivolous and unheedful.

I wrote the English, and then Nostrum (as noted above) did a translation. He also translated it into Spanish, if anyone wants a copy of that.

So why does everyone call it the Libra Personae when it's called the Summa Personae on the title page? There's probably a dull reason for the Stellae to call it that. I don't want to invent continuity in the forums, especially when it would likely never play a part in the story, but let's say it's because there's a medieval work (purely theory, no application) called "Summa Personae" and "Libra Personae" is used of the latter work to avoid confusion.

And why does Will call it the "Libra" when the word doesn't appear on the title page? Beats me. Let's pretend it's because he ran the real title too many times back and forth via Google Translate, got the phrase "Libra Personae" stuck in his head, and then never bothered to check the title page again.

But in future chapters, maybe someone will point out to him that he's been calling it by the wrong title.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
The Libra in Latin! · 09-01-20 2:38pm
by Seuzz
Re: The Libra in Latin! · 09-01-20 2:44pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: The Libra in Latin! · 09-01-20 4:05pm
by Masktrix
Re: Re: Re: The Libra in Latin! · 09-01-20 4:22pm
by imaj
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Libra in Latin! · 09-01-20 4:34pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Libra in Latin! · 09-01-20 5:33pm
by imaj
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Libra in Latin! · 09-01-20 5:42pm
by Nostrum
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Libra in Latin! · 09-01-20 5:47pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Libra in Latin! · 09-01-20 5:45pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Libra in Latin! · 09-01-20 4:46pm
by Nostrum

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Seuzz.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3365212