*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3302216
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 24, 2019 at 5:18pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Prior Prep Lists
Yesss, brainstorming is wonderful! There is absolutely a place for structure, but I've found the ideas tend to flow best when I'm just letting my brain go nuts and I don't feel too bad pressing enter six times and writing—

NO WAIT THAT'S STUPID. What if, instead...

I yell at myself a bit, really clarify what scenes and themes my heart is in, and often talk myself through story blocks.

I found out the hard way when I was young that excessive structure and no-holds-barred outlining satisfies my need to tell a story, so by the time I finished writing a 35+ page outline for a failed novel when I was 15, I felt satisfied that I had already "told" the story I wanted to tell, and that fire went out... having never become an actual story! *Laugh* So, now, when I'm writing outlines, I limit myself to chilly, fact-based scene descriptions of (ideally) fewer than six words, but often up to several sentences. The need to make those scenes real is left to simmer for as long as it needs, and I don't spend it on an outline.

I can't imagine the effort that goes into running an activity like this one and revising the assignments so they work well for the most people. I think the assignments are quite nicely balanced. Thank you so much for the huge amount of time you've put into making the prep such an amazing activity for writers!

- -

"Let me live, love and say it well
in good sentences."
- Sylvia Plath

*MushroomB* *Books3**Books5* "Any Other Thursday *Books5**Books2* *MushroomB*
MESSAGE THREAD
Prior Prep Lists · 10-23-19 10:39pm
by Schnujo Enjoyed Colombia
Re: Prior Prep Lists · 10-23-19 10:50pm
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Prior Prep Lists · 10-23-19 11:01pm
Re: Re: Re: Prior Prep Lists · 10-24-19 1:33am
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Re: Re: Prior Prep Lists · 10-24-19 6:31am
by Carol St.Ann
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Prior Prep Lists · 10-24-19 7:05am
by Past Member 'bobturn'
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Prior Prep Lists · 10-24-19 9:00am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Prior Prep Lists · 10-24-19 10:44am
by Brandiwyn🎶
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Prior Prep Lists · 10-24-19 5:18pm
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Prior Prep Lists · 10-24-19 8:19pm
by Angelica- Happy July 4th!

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3302216