SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3164088
Rated: GC · Message Forum · Community · #2146092
A support forum for writers dealing with mental illness
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 15, 2018 at 6:32pm
Re: Re: Re: ToTW 11th - 18th of February
My family is crazy *Crazy* Not medically but by environment. Like QPDoll there are some people that maybe shouldn't have gotten together. On the other hand, Some people are made better by who they are married to. Unfortunately there are all to few of those people and too many of the mixed bag bunch.
I'm not a professional so this is just my observation. Mental issues of the chemical nature are more prevalent now. Like it or not, we are what we eat. With the onset of many chemical preservatives, those of us who grew up in the 50's on have either bought into the prepackaged phenomenon or went the total opposite to the organic mode.
Our children have suffered the most. Chemicals have enhanced many of the problems our children have had to deal with ADD, ADHD, Autism, downs and maybe more I don't know about. All of these, in my humble opinion are food and environment related. Not much we can do in the USA about changing this.
Depression, on the other hand is a chemical imbalance that may or may not be treated with drugs. If so, sometimes the treatment is worse than the problem. I have talked to friends who have been under such depression it seems a dark cloud is covering their mind and body. They can't move out or away from it. A few of these people have been able to pray though it to the point of being healed of it. Other's its a battle they are still dealing with but the episodes have lessened as they walk closer to God. Right or wrong it works for them. I say if you don't believe the solution, you're stuck with the problem. Sometimes you need to change the "prescription."
I often wonder if I had depression. I wonder if its manifested differently for different people. I'm not the same person I was many years ago. I find I don't make the same escape choices. It could be the choice is the same just a different venue. From books to TV? Mostly because I can't find books that interest me anymore. *Sad*
I know this is long: Its my first time here and I probably should have just said Hi and left. That's not me. I run on a bit.
I have one more thought about mental health issues. We all know about the school shooting in FL. A few years ago there was a school shooting in Roseburg Oregon. It was sad. I always think about the criminal and what drove them to do that. I loved watching Criminal Minds. I came across a Netfllix series called MindHunter. John Douglas is the man Hotch is based on as well as the FBI Jack Crawford in Silence of the Lambs. He was the first to wonder if interviewing criminals to find what in their past or events in their life influenced them to commit serial killings. (He in fact coined the phrase)
After watching the first season and listening to his book Mind Hunter I was even more curious how environment affects killers. This past October a young man, took a gun and killed his aunt, sister and cousin. Then sat on the porch and waited for his uncle to come home. He is in prison, of course. I know the family and portions of the circumstances surrounding the boy. Applying John's questions to Young Kevin, I matched him with the all the markers of a killer. After the fact.
What about before? Was there anything in his life that might have deterred him from committing this horrendous act. Yes, but sometimes self will over takes the choice to NOT do something so horrific. I'm sure in the days preceding the event there may have been times the situation caused him to think about not doing it. We will never know the over powering motivation that puts all self preservation aside and reaches for a weapon to put another person to death.
I'd love to sit in a room with John Douglas as he might question this Nicklas Cruz or the boy Kevin. What might he draw from them that would trigger a mental health intervention? If we could pre-profile a killer, how would law enforcement apprehend them? There is a fear that actions could be misinterpreted and people put in mental hospitals that shouldn't be there. We saw that happen all to often many years ago.
I saw a list of reasons to commit people to asylums. One was reading too much.

Tina

Merit Badge in Elle
[Click For More Info]

Thank you so much for doing an author interview with me!  I really appreciate it.  *^*Delight*^* Merit Badge in Consistent
[Click For More Info]

On behalf of  [Link To User sisrandez] , I would like to thank you for being such a supportive and loyal team player. Your friendship is truly valued. *^*Heart*^*
MESSAGE THREAD
ToTW 11th - 18th of February · 02-11-18 10:25am
by Charlie ~
Re: ToTW 11th - 18th of February · 02-11-18 10:56am
by QPdoll
Re: Re: ToTW 11th - 18th of February · 02-13-18 12:49pm
by WordsPoeticallyWorth
Re: Re: ToTW 11th - 18th of February · 02-14-18 9:33pm
by Charlie ~
Re: Re: Re: ToTW 11th - 18th of February · 02-14-18 9:41pm
by QPdoll
Re: ToTW 11th - 18th of February · 02-13-18 4:36am
by Lilli 🧿 ☕
Re: Re: ToTW 11th - 18th of February · 02-14-18 10:02pm
by Charlie ~
*Star* Re: Re: Re: ToTW 11th - 18th of February · 02-15-18 6:32pm
by Quick-Quill
Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 11th - 18th of February · 02-18-18 12:21pm
by Warped Sanity
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 11th - 18th of February · 02-18-18 12:39pm
by QPdoll
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 11th - 18th of February · 02-18-18 12:46pm
by Warped Sanity
Re: ToTW 11th - 18th of February · 02-13-18 1:02pm
by WordsPoeticallyWorth

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Charlie ~.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3164088