Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3160974
Rated: GC · Message Forum · Community · #2146092
A support forum for writers dealing with mental illness
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 4, 2018 at 10:01am
Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie
by QPdoll
Hi, Charlie ~ . I'm Elizabeth and have been diagnosed with major depression and have been on medication for eighteen years. I have been depressed most of my life. I remember attempting suicide twice in my teens. I remember thinking that I even failed at that. But, today I'm glad that I wasn't successful. I've been married for twenty-eight years and we have two beautiful girls. We were married for ten years before we had children, by choice. We decided we needed to grow up a little, first. (I was nineteen when I got married.)

I see a psychologist once every three months to make sure I'm still doing okay on the medication. I've seen plenty of therapists over the years and make sure I seek one out when I need it.

I'm very open about my illness. I've met people who hide it from everyone, including their spouses. I can't imagine how they don't tell their spouses. My spouse has been so supportive. I also think he has depression but he won't go to see a doctor. How do you live with someone with mental illness for as long as he has and not have some repercussion?

I don't care if people "label" me anymore. When I was first diagnosed people weren't so open about it. But I'm honest and feel good about it. I've met others who have depression and we talk. It amazes me how many people decide to not take their medication. I am not a nice person when I don't take my medicine. Actually, I get physically ill when I forget to take my medicine. I often wonder how I would be taken off my medicine if I was ever able to. Obviously it would be a gradual process and not outright stopping.

I asked my psychologist once about if I would ever not have to take medicine and she told me no. I will be on medication for the rest of my life. It sometimes gets on my nerves, but I like who I am when I'm on it, so I'll keep taking it.

I'm glad that you started this group. Excellent idea. It's a safe place we can come to and vent, rant, or whatever.

Thank you.

~Elizabeth

A gift from a friend.
MESSAGE THREAD
[TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-04-18 1:34am
by Charlie ~
Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-04-18 8:23am
by Choconut
Re: Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-04-18 3:42pm
by Charlie ~
*Star* Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-04-18 10:01am
by QPdoll
Re: Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-04-18 3:55pm
by Charlie ~
Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-04-18 10:32am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-04-18 3:58pm
by Charlie ~
Re: Re: Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-04-18 5:14pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-04-18 11:16am
by Warped Sanity
Re: Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-04-18 4:04pm
by Charlie ~
Re: Re: Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-04-18 7:38pm
by Warped Sanity
Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-04-18 11:23am
by WordsPoeticallyWorth
Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-05-18 8:32am
by Kit
Re: Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-06-18 11:56am
by Charlie ~
Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-05-18 10:48am
by Jayne
Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-15-18 7:38am
by Whata SpoonStealer
Re: Re: [TW. GC-rated] Introduction to Charlie · 02-15-18 11:29am
by Charlie ~

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Charlie ~.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3160974