*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3138909
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 14, 2017 at 1:30pm
Edited: October 14, 2017 at 10:55pm
My favorite assignment!
I love antagonist background day!

I think a sympathetic antagonist changes a good book to a stellar one. The antagonist's motivations need to be as clear cut and understandable as the protagonists, if not more so. You can't create a bad guy just to fill a spot. A truly fantastic antagonist isn't against the protagonist just to be against them, their motivations are just opposite. Or, in some cases, they're motivations are the same, they just have a vastly different idea as to the best way to accomplish things.

I love delving into my antagonist's background and writing from their POV and getting a better understanding of why they make the decisions they make later in the book.

"Every villain is the hero of his own story." (And if my story had been written 1000 years before the events of the novel, he would have been the hero, easily).

My poor conflicted antagonist. They broke him and now all he wants is to be freed and reunited with the love of his life. Unfortunately, it comes at a cost my protagonist is just not willing to pay. Remember, everyone's the villain in someone else's story, and this time it's your protagonist's turn!

*Books3**Books6* Sarah Rae *Books4**Books1*

Rate Yourself!  [E]
How would you rate yourself as an author based on the Writing.Com system?
by Sarah Rae

Merit Badge in Problem Solving
[Click For More Info]

For solving my little bottie game challenge thingie *^*Smile*^*. *hugs* Kit Merit Badge in Funny
[Click For More Info]

For the funny  [Link To Item #1176357] ! Merit Badge in Genealogy
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on getting married. You will now be starting off your own family tree and geneology of your own! All the very best for your new marriage and have a great one!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
My favorite assignment! · 10-14-17 1:30pm
by Sarah Rae
Re: My favorite assignment! · 10-14-17 9:33pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: My favorite assignment! · 10-14-17 11:02pm
by MontyB
Re: Re: Re: My favorite assignment! · 10-14-17 11:08pm
by Sarah Rae
Re: Re: Re: My favorite assignment! · 10-15-17 8:07am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: My favorite assignment! · 10-15-17 12:41am
by Anders J. Miller

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3138909